What's new

Feather Blades

Decided to pull the trigger on Rubinov's. I'll let you know how it works out :)

You're the first to order from Rubinov's. Please do let us know how it works out.

I received my trial Voskhod blades this afternoon. Tomorrow a.m. will be my first Voskhod shave. I'll report how it goes for me. I usually use Astra SP blades, so I'll see how the new-to-me blade compares to my thus-far #1 blade.

I've been testing blades for months. Most of them I put in a pile marked "Eh, nothing special." Mind you, as I get better technique, I get great shaves from even the blades I sort of don't like.

Then I have a pile marked "Wow! Yes, please!" I've only found three that I have put in this category, and I am retesting hem. Astra SP retested so well that I ordered my first hundred. Right now, I am back testing Feather, after two or three months. Zowie. Very sharp, but smooth as well. Number three is Gillette Yellow 7 O'Clock. Once I retest ten, I'll get 100 Feather and maybe 100 7 O'Clock.

First Voskhod Shave--A Worthy DE Blade

In short, excellent blade. I usually use Astra SP blades in a Gillette Tech and get DFSs each a.m. with them. This morning's Voskhod shave may have been a bit more efficient: it felt as it cleaved the stubborn stubble, on my lower chin, more efficiently than the Astra SP. Was it as smooth? The Voskhod delivered a smooth shave and comfortable shave. I can't say it was smoother than my Astras, but equally as smooth. I feel as if the smoothness is too close to say one is smoother than the other. However, the efficiency in Voskhod's cutting edges may place it a bit above Astra SPs, it's kind of difficult to make a definitive judgement after a single shave.

Which blade would I choose if I could use only one? Hard to call it after one Voskhod shave; but I will have a second shave with this blade tomorrow and see how it performs. If I had tried Voskhod blades before discovering Astras, they'd have become my go-to blade. Unlike, for me, Feather and Gillette's Yellow and Black 7 O'clock series, which I find too sharp, Voskhods are sharp, but not skin scraping sharp. If a blade is going to negatively affect my skin, I'll know as the day wears on; but thus far, Voskhod is an excellent blade; and Voskhods are a worthy Astra SP competitor.

I'll formulate more of an opinion for myself over the next two days' shaves. I usually take my Astra SPs for three shaves before changing. I'll see how the Voskhod performs for an equal number of shaves.

Voskhod-Astra SP Comparison: Astra SP has my vote.

In order to make an accurate comparison between Astra SP and Voskhod blades, this morning I changed out the Voskhod for an Astra. I have to give the 'edge' to Astra SPs for smoothness and efficiency: I had a great shave this morning's Astra SP; and I feel it was superior to the Voskhod I used yesterday. For me, I'm going to stay with the Astra SP blades. After using Astras for so long, I kind of took the blade's feel for granted; but this morning I took note of each stroke in making this comparison, albeit for myself alone. Staying with Astras is a good thing for me, I've 700+ in reserve--a hefty supply.

Just thought I would give you an update. I have sent an email to Rubinov's, but I still haven't heard anything back from them. No receipts, no confirmation of my order, no communication, nothing. And that was after I paid them through PayPal. So today I made a claim and will wait to see what happens with that.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed :(

The Feathers are sharp but don't last. The 5th shave on an Astra SP or a Gillette 7 yellow is way better than the 3rd shave on a Feather. Can't justify the extra $$ for a blade I have to toss after 2 shaves.

The Feathers are sharp but don't last. The 5th shave on an Astra SP or a Gillette 7 yellow is way better than the 3rd shave on a Feather. Can't justify the extra $$ for a blade I have to toss after 2 shaves.

But the first two shaves with a Feather are worth so much more to me than the cost (both nonrecurring and recurring). For fifty years I couldn't shave against the grain under my jawbone and down my throat; with a Feather, I can - twice (or sometimes three times). I have been a DE shaver since January of 1966 and my introduction to Feather (through this forum) is well worth the RAD items that have clogged up my shaving cabinet!

Last edited:
You still know the month!?

I even don't know the exact year anymore (my guess is 1985).

Sophomore year in college, January after the holidays, campus bookstore sale: I had wanted a Gillette Adjustable since before I started shaving in the fall of 1960 (with a Schick Injector), and I grabbed up a Slim - on sale - and felt great. It wasn't until I discovered this forum that I finally realized the Gillette adjustable I had wanted was a Fatboy. But I still have the Slim, and it was my daily driver until I stumbled into B&B.

Just thought I would give you an update. I have sent an email to Rubinov's, but I still haven't heard anything back from them. No receipts, no confirmation of my order, no communication, nothing. And that was after I paid them through PayPal. So today I made a claim and will wait to see what happens with that.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed :(

Sorry to hear - I hate dealing with these situations. I appreciate your keeping us updated and here's hoping to a quick resolution for you!

Top Bottom