What's new

Martini drinkers unite!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A Mexican Martini isn't bad especially with three different kinds of hot sauce.

$IMG_0350.jpg

I've been enjoying kina vermouths in my martinis. My favorite martinis:

3oz Bombay Sapphire, 1oz Cocchi Americano

3oz Bombay Sapphire, 3/4oz L'Avion (L'Aero) D'Or.

Both with two dashes Bitter Truth lemon bitters, stirred, and served with three olives.

I like a traditional Gin martini, with vermouth, and not just waving the bottle over the glass. Enough to taste it. I like a lemon twist, and sometimes olives just to mix it up. There is a lot of good gin out there, but I always go back to Sapphire - nectar of the gods!

I've never liked gin but recently acquired Pacific Distillery's gin and it's wonderful. I think I may have to beg the Mr for drink when I get home....

They make a phenomenal absinthe too.

That said, a friend of mine puts a dash of bitters in her g&t's, sacrilegious but delicious :)

Can I join in? Gin makes me do very bad things so I am a devout vodka guy. I prefer Grey Goose but will try any. Shaken then strained with 2-3 olives. I like them stuffed but not picky about what is in them.

Here was my dinner last week when I had a bad day on a business trip.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 79
Can I join in? Gin makes me do very bad things so I am a devout vodka guy. I prefer Grey Goose but will try any. Shaken then strained with 2-3 olives. I like them stuffed but not picky about what is in them. Here was my dinner last week when I had a bad day on a business trip.

I couldn't help but notice the Ruth's Chris napkin and had to mention a bad experience I had at the one in Savannah. I ordered a vodka martini with a lemon twist, up, and asked the server what their well vodka was. He told me Absolut and pleased with that, I told him to bring me one. Before the check arrived he stopped by to say he was incorrect earlier and their well was Smirnoff. Imagine my surprise when I was charged $11 for "rot gut" vodka!

I read somewhere Winston Churchill would shake Boodles Gin while staring intently across the room at a bottle of Vermouth when mixing his martinis. I on the other hand spray some vermouth into a chilled glass, swirl it around, toss it out and pour in some well shaken Hendricks Gin. Add a lemon twist and there you have it!

I read something very similar to that too; at least staring at a vermouth bottle. My father always had a fifth of Boodles handy but didn't realize that was Sir Winston's choice. I also remember reading that he typically drank a bottle of brandy and smoked 15 or 20 cigars per day.

I enjoyed the M*A*S*H* quotes you fellows related, I'd forgotten all of those. What I remember about the TV series was how Hawkeye and Trapper had their own 'still' in their tent and that puppy always seemed to be percolating. I have to assume that gin, vodka, or whatever you'd call what they were cooking was about the only way to drink martinis out in the field during that war. On R&R in Seoul (my father served and did his somewhere in Japan) might have been a different story.

Gin or vodka from freezer. Splash of vermouth. Shaken, not stirred. Olive and dash of olive juice. Glass also from freezer.

I couldn't help but notice the Ruth's Chris napkin and had to mention a bad experience I had at the one in Savannah. I ordered a vodka martini with a lemon twist, up, and asked the server what their well vodka was. He told me Absolut and pleased with that, I told him to bring me one. Before the check arrived he stopped by to say he was incorrect earlier and their well was Smirnoff. Imagine my surprise when I was charged $11 for "rot gut" vodka!

This was in Jacksonville, and was their "Dirty Goose" which was Grey Goose with a few blue cheese olives. It was $12. I had two that night.

Gin or vodka from freezer. Splash of vermouth. Shaken, not stirred. Olive and dash of olive juice. Glass also from freezer.

I have a partial bottle of Bombay Sapphire in the freezer (last year's Christmas gift) and I almost drank that tonight. I've been saving it for a special occasion because it's pricier than my everyday staple. A friend of mine always freezes a bottle of Sapphire and one of Tanqueray but he just pours it into a highball glass! I call that sacriledge and when doing that, I use a stemmed martini glass.

I shook the staple tonight and added a cocktail onion. I'm still debating what's next.

This was in Jacksonville, and was their "Dirty Goose" which was Grey Goose with a few blue cheese olives. It was $12. I had two that night.

I would not squawk about GG for $12 but Smirnoff for $11? I can't help but feel cheated.

Last edited:
My favorite drink is the Manhattan, but I also enjoy Martinis.

Typically:
3 oz Grey Goose (or maybe Absolut)
0.75 oz dry vermouth (M&R)
Shaken and strained, served up in a chilled glass.
3 olives (usually pimiento, but sometimes blue cheese). I dip these in the olive juice right before I put it in the glass, which delivers about the right amount of olive juice.

I love a G&T, but don't usually have a gin martini. When I do, I follow the same recipe, but pour some olive juice in. I need the extra salt/flavor to calm down the strong gin to my tastes. I usually use Sapphire or Hendricks. Now that I think about it, I received a gift of Old Tom's, which is much milder... sounds like I need to try that in a martini!

I'll second you on the Manhattan; it's wonderful.

As many have said before, there's something about Bombay Sapphire that just makes the martini. I'm a fan of olives in mine.

I keep the gin in the freezer and vermouth in the fridge door.

3:1 mix for me (4.5/1.5 fills my glass nice)
no garnish at all.
I'll get a twist if I'm at a bar, but add nothing at home.

My favorite drink is the Manhattan, but I also enjoy Martinis.

I just read on here recently that Manhattans were originally made with rye whiskey. I'm not a bourbon fan but I have all the makings for those (sweet vermouth, cherries, bitters, bourbon). My great uncle in Wisconsin introduced me to Brandy Manhattans, I encourage you to try one of those. Same ratio you use now, just substitute brandy for whiskey.

docholliday77,

I have never heard of this brand, duly noted. But I have had Hendrick's and that stuff curled my nose hairs in a martini. I might like it diluted with tonic

Top Bottom