What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

apfpilot, just a friendly nudge Sir, you may want to read post #57.

All of the drama here made me terribly curious about this product having never tried this particular flavor before. I went to HTGAM's website to check it out and see what this is all about. I did contact them regarding the ingredients as I suspect this was an oversite or possibly an overzealous marketing minded person. Assuming I have HTGAM's permission I will pass the response I receive along on this forum.

I also ordered a container of the soap referenced at the start of this thread because I'd like to try it for myself. It looks like HTGAM offers an extensive product line and I am looking forward to trying out some of the offerings. Once I have a few weeks of daily shaves under my belt I'll put together my thoughts.

Now, a really interesting thread might be to compare the ingredients of Arko and a urinal cake. JOKING!! :001_smile Just joking. I like Arko.

Oh? I thought we had a hundred of those threads already! :lol:

True...but has anyone ever tried shaving with a urinal...oh never mind. This could get gross and I don't want to hijack the thread. Just thought a bit of levity might be in order. :laugh:

Greetings Folks,
This seems to have been blown out of proportion w/ out any benefit of the doubt. I emailed my response to the Mod yesterday but he seems to have not posted it yet and he need not now (unless this comment is erased). The label in question was an older label. The ship was recently righted when I received a very informative email from another vendor. That said, i was in the middle of changing my formula yet again to the 1.5 version. This transition has been going on over the last few months. Anyone who follows me knows this, it has always been clearly stated with the introductions of 1.5 and 2.0, very soon a 2.5 cream...but i digress.Sorry if I have cause any confusion inadvertently, no malice was ever intended.

Though not a fan of the FDA which I believe cares more about the profits from patented products than natural ones (you can't patent natural oils, butters, herbs, etc), I have over the last few months been trying to fall more in line. I will also remove the misleading descriptor "Moisturizing" from my page however...oh lawdy! :)

One example of the hypocritical regulations are as another soap maker pointed out, even each essential oil must be labeled (still need to research that one, it's tough as a perfumer who creates propriety blends), i do list them in my descriptions which I find consumers to read more...yet they allow you to only list "Fragrance oil" when FO is used. A fragrance oil can contain up to 4000 different synthetic ingredients. Is this helpful to the consumer?

Another example of the FDA and how they work is taking a look at Ivory or Dove "soap". They are allowed to market themselves as such though they are detergent bars and not soap at all! So the real battle lies in getting the FDA to change things up a tad. I also find listing ingredients in latin or any other language quite silly and far from helpful to the consumer.

So again, I am a new artisan and learning as I go. I am constantly formulating and reformulating along the way...I love this part and any artisan will relate! I really appreciate how helpful other artisans have been along the way, they have been great people.

If you look at any number of my more recent products you will see I am aligning myself with the regulations. As for my ingredients, they were always listed, no more, no less. As for Chaulmoogra, it's been used with much success for hundreds of years in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Both subjects I have studied extensively for years. It is a powerful antibiotic and antimicrobial. Also great for a number of skin conditions. One would have to consume a lot of it to be poisoned....and I never used more than required, it also smells really funky. Combined with neem and maca and you can really screw with your scent profile! :)

I am always around and my contact info is readily available if there are more questions! Sorry again if any confusion was caused. It's rather ironic for anyone who knows me via my podcasts, vids or blog, for I am constantly encouraging folks to read the labels! I have worked very hard in effort to grow this community and create a wider consciousnesses for artisan soap especially, I would love to keep on doing that. BTW, right above my ingredient label is an invite to contact me! :)
Sincerely
D

Last edited:
Greetings Folks,
This seems to have been blown out of proportion w/ out any benefit of the doubt. I emailed my response to the Mod yesterday but he seems to have not posted it yet and he need not now (unless this comment is erased). The label in question was an older label. The ship was recently righted when I received a very informative email from another vendor. That said, i was in the middle of changing my formula yet again to the 1.5 version. This transition has been going on over the last few months. Anyone who follows me knows this, it has always been clearly stated with the introductions of 1.5 and 2.0, very soon a 2.5 cream...but i digress.Sorry if I have cause any confusion inadvertently, no malice was ever intended.

Though not a fan of the FDA which I believe cares more about the profits from patented products than natural ones (you can't patent natural oils, butters, herbs, etc), I have over the last few months been trying to fall more in line. I will also remove the misleading descriptor "Moisturizing" from my page however...oh lawdy! :)

One example of the hypocritical regulations are as another soap maker pointed out, even each essential oil must be labeled (still need to research that one, it's tough as a perfumer who creates propriety blends), i do list them in my descriptions which I find consumers to read more...yet they allow you to only list "Fragrance oil" when FO is used. A fragrance oil can contain up to 4000 different synthetic ingredients. Is this helpful to the consumer?

Another example of the FDA and how they work is taking a look at Ivory or Dove "soap". They are allowed to market themselves as such though they are detergent bars and not soap at all! So the real battle lies in getting the FDA to change things up a tad. I also find listing ingredients in latin or any other language quite silly and far from helpful to the consumer.

So again, I am a new artisan and learning as I go. I am constantly formulating and reformulating along the way...I love this part and any artisan will relate! I really appreciate how helpful other artisans have been along the way, they have been great people.

If you look at any number of my more recent products you will see I am aligning myself with the regulations. As for my ingredients, they were always listed, no more, no less. As for Chaulmoogra, it's been used with much success for hundreds of years in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Both subjects I have studied extensively for years. It is a powerful antibiotic and antimicrobial. Also great for a number of skin conditions. One would have to consume a lot of it to be poisoned....and I never used more than required, it also smells really funky. Combined with neem and maca and you can really screw with your scent profile! :)

I am always around and my contact info is readily available if there are more questions! Sorry again if any confusion was caused. It's rather ironic for anyone who knows me via my podcasts, vids or blog, for I am constantly encouraging folks to read the labels! BTW, right above my ingredient label is an invite to contact me! :)
Sincerely
D
Thank you Douglas for your response!

Thank you for your response Douglas. I am looking forward to trying your soap very soon! I've heard great things about it.

Thanks Douglas for your thoughtful response. I have used your 1.0 soaps for a while and have a tin of the 2.0 barbershop on the way. I like your product and have always found it pleasant to do business with you.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Greetings Folks,
I emailed my response to the Mod yesterday but he seems to have not posted it yet and he need not now

I didn't post your email because you SPECIFICALLY asked me NOT TO.

Then you come here and play as if it's a wonder to you?

That sir, is completely unacceptable behavior.

Last edited:
It's getting better but still not there like I think it should b. I tried the Marcos method last time just to see what would happen and it def made more lather but I think it's just hard to load. And I loaded for at least a min and a half. Probably longer. Then went to the bowl for probably 3 mins and it was better. But like I said not there. Maybe it's time to try something else to see the results I get.

Last edited:
I just can't get slickness with my Gondolier and the beach soaps. Not sure why. I much prefer the 2.0 soaps

Hi folks!

Does anyone know a fragrance that is similar to the HTGAM/PAA Gondolier scent?
Please no comments about the drama.

Thanks and regards
Ben

I'm the odd man out and I am a fan of HTGAM ..... of all his scent library Gondolier was he most distant from my personal tastes. I have been on the fence about selling it, but with Synergy HTGAM no longer in existence I'm re-thinking that...... as to your question it is by definition an aquatic scent so I would start there in the fragrance dictionary...maybe like Aqua "x""x".

Ok skipping all the drama my wife ordered a bottle of sandalwood aftershave/ cologne from phoenix/htgam/ppf/ect. I dont know what this smell is it smells to me like joop cologne. The pinkish purple mens scent from early 90's idk I cant pick it out anyone else take a dive off the cliff and tried it?

Top Bottom