What's new

Arko Experiment, And Essential Oils.

I've been gathering essential oils for the last couple of months, with ideas in mind with what I want. Today was the turn of something autumnal, maybe with christmas just around the corner. It will depend on the make but I put one drop of cinnamon spice, two of orange and one of clove. I'm planning to up the clove next time as I was playing it safe as I wasn't sure how strong it would be. That's the great thing about having the oils, is the combinations. Lavender & Rose is lovely, lemongrass & rosemary made me hungry, mint & eucalyptus gives an icy blast that will clear the pipes. I think Arko is perfect to do this with as the scent polarises opinion but it can't be argued that it's an amazing performer - at any price.
Incidentally, although they add nothing to scent, a small amount of coconut oil or glycerine turns it into a different beast altogether!

Incidentally, although they add nothing to scent, a small amount of coconut oil or glycerine turns it into a different beast altogether!

I bought some glycerin at a CVS with the intention of getting better lathers. Instead, I bought some better soaps and forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder.

I noticed a few of the essential oil sites call their oils 'aromatherapy oils'. I guess that's what we're doing, wouldn't you guys agree?

I know there are different grades of oils. Essentials being the most concentrated.

I haven't added glycerin before, just the essential oils, and this enhanced the lather, scent, and lubricity of the Arko, which was all very good to begin with.

I'm actually not sure yet which enhances the lather better, glycerine or coconut oil, but the resulting lather of each is like really slick marshmallow.
Yes, it could be argued that Arko is already very good to begin, with but as I'm not altering the soap, only each lathering, I still have the Arko to do with what I want. I wouldn't want to mix a stick and be stuck with that mix to the end. This way I'm making it enjoyable, and in the case of oils like eucalyptus, making it serve two purposes.
I still love my Arko "naked" too though!!

I am still using the Arko Voodoo mix. They are still holding the scents. I think the original arko lemon scent had dissipated some, which means the other scents are more pronounced.
I tried some Cella, and some Prorasso, but still enjoy the Arko voodoo mix more.
I don't use the rose scent, too flowery for me.

I found a way to make The Arko mix explode. I used a shaving bowl of mine, that I made. There are others similar out there.
The lines, and dots, explode the lather like never before. I would highly recommend getting a textured bowl.

$PC170585.jpg$PC170589.jpg

This was with 15 seconds of loading, and 45 seconds of lathering.

OK, sorry if I Miss d it, but what is the actual recipes you guys are using with the oils? You said which ones you added while making but not how much.
Are you grating the soap and then adding the oils, then pressing it into something, or just adding to the bowl before lathering?
I like arko the way it is, but I love to experiment!!!
Thanks a lot gents!!

I've my Arko pressed into a tub so all I do is load my brush and add the essential oils into the warm shaving bowl. Two or three drops of each is sufficient as adding more can kill your lather. If you find it is affecting your lather, either use more product or add some glycerine.
I personally wouldn't try to blend a large amount, purely because I like that I can have so much variation this way. I've built up a nice collection of oils now and I go with whatever suits any given day. Cedarwood & Lime is my new favourite!

I've my Arko pressed into a tub so all I do is load my brush and add the essential oils into the warm shaving bowl. Two or three drops of each is sufficient as adding more can kill your lather. If you find it is affecting your lather, either use more product or add some glycerine.
I personally wouldn't try to blend a large amount, purely because I like that I can have so much variation this way. I've built up a nice collection of oils now and I go with whatever suits any given day. Cedarwood & Lime is my new favourite!

O ok thanks. Iol try and find some oils. Start slow with a drop maybe 2. Hmmm. Now to find a local dealer of oils... Or maybe amazon.
Wish there were more actual recipes and scent profiles. I've never smelled any of these oils. All sandlewood soaps I've smelled are different lol. Don't know which will smell like which...

Each manufacturers version of the oils will vary in scent, and not just with price. Very few places will allow testers but you don't have spend much to get decent results. Go with scents you already know. Here what I have -

Cedarwood
Cinnamon Spice
Clove Oil
Eucalyptus
Jasmine
Juniperberry
Lavender
Lemongrass
Lime
Mint
Orange
Peppermint
Pine Needle
Rose
Rosemary
Tea Tree Oil
Vanilla
Winter Spice

You can make up some nice combinations with these such as -

Lemongrass & Rosemary
Clove & Orange & Cinnamon Spice
Orange & Cinnamon Spice
Lavender & Rose
Pine Needle & Eucalyptus
Peppermint & Eucalyptus
Mint & Orange

My personal favourite right now is Cedarwood & Lime.

Each manufacturers version of the oils will vary in scent, and not just with price. Very few places will allow testers but you don't have spend much to get decent results. Go with scents you already know. Here what I have -

Cedarwood
Cinnamon Spice
Clove Oil
Eucalyptus
Jasmine
Juniperberry
Lavender
Lemongrass
Lime
Mint
Orange
Peppermint
Pine Needle
Rose
Rosemary
Tea Tree Oil
Vanilla
Winter Spice

You can make up some nice combinations with these such as -

Lemongrass & Rosemary
Clove & Orange & Cinnamon Spice
Orange & Cinnamon Spice
Lavender & Rose
Pine Needle & Eucalyptus
Peppermint & Eucalyptus
Mint & Orange

My personal favourite right now is Cedarwood & Lime.

And where are the best prices you've found?

Peppermint and Rosemary is a good mix. Couldn't decide what to use and just threw any two in. Worked out well because the scent really worked.

Well, I don't know if I overlooked it or read it on another Arko thread. But, since this seems to be a "how to improve Arko" thread, I will post my experience. I rubbed the Arko on my face and then loaded my brush with VdH Deluxe. This was the best lather and shave I've gotten from either soap so far. I wasn't happy with either alone as the Arko seemed to leave my face slightly irritated afterwards. I think it had more to do with lack of slickness than anything in the soap itself. The VdH I gave up on because it just seemed too thin no matter what I did. My razor would bump along instead of gliding smoothly. But, with the combination of the two, my face was way slick even after rinsing a bit for the next pass. And none of the redness when I was done. I still love my Proraso for the no fuss and ease of lathering. But, I will have to give this a try again tomorrow. Thanks to whoever made that suggestion. :thumbup1:

Dave

Well, I don't know if I overlooked it or read it on another Arko thread. But, since this seems to be a "how to improve Arko" thread, I will post my experience. I rubbed the Arko on my face and then loaded my brush with VdH Deluxe. This was the best lather and shave I've gotten from either soap so far. I wasn't happy with either alone as the Arko seemed to leave my face slightly irritated afterwards. I think it had more to do with lack of slickness than anything in the soap itself. The VdH I gave up on because it just seemed too thin no matter what I did. My razor would bump along instead of gliding smoothly. But, with the combination of the two, my face was way slick even after rinsing a bit for the next pass. And none of the redness when I was done. I still love my Proraso for the no fuss and ease of lathering. But, I will have to give this a try again tomorrow. Thanks to whoever made that suggestion. :thumbup1:

Dave

I did something similar. I grated the arko, then poured melted VDH puck over it and mixed then let set. Later tried to cook them together, but it didn't work, but you can marry them permanently in the above mentioned way.
next time I'll use half a puck of deluxe and half a puck of luxury and another whole stick of Arko.
All in all great together!!

Top Bottom