What's new

Those painful lessons

So I was like a kid on Christmas opening my latest eBay purchase: An M1 Slim I picked up for $28; my first vintage razor. :drool: Hurried up and gave it some lovin' with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush, and a dip in alcohol. A few hours later I showered and got ready for an exciting shave. Now onto my noob mistakes:

1) I changed too many variables. Rather than load my brush with my familiar tin of Stirling Bay Rum, I continued my little experiment with their Coconut Lime sample that I stuffed into an empty twist-up stick last night. Bad idea. While I was able to get enough soap on my face to make a decent lather, I wasn't able to control it as well, and I could tell it was lacking in the usual quality/quantity I typically get. Not a good thing to get into when you're using an unfamiliar razor.

2) I quickly loaded an Astra SP into my new Slim, set it to 5 (which I figured was a safe starting point to get it in the ballpark of my DE89) and gave her a quick whirl. BOY did it feel aggressive on that first past. I figured that maybe I needed to turn it a couple notches down, or that perhaps I was being impatient and unwittingly applying pressure. So I turned it down to 3 and was extra careful with pressure and angle on the XTG pass. WOW that feels awful and I'm a bit bloody. Something must be wrong. So I did what I should've done before going Edward Scissorhands on my face; :detective: checked the seating of the blade. From the side view I could see that blade was sitting almost completely flat in the razor head. I twisted the adjustment knob and it hardly moved. Then I twisted the TTO knob, felt it tighten a bit more, and watched the blade bend.

Oops. :blink:

Thank god for aftershave; that Stetson buuurrned today, boy.

Lessons: don't change a bunch of stuff at once. Also, pay attention to the dangerously sharp thing that is about to make contact with your face.

Last edited:
LoL Awesome, this made me laugh. It takes alot for me not to change a whole bunch at once. Sure does teach discipline! But the lessons learned stick, or scab, or something like that....:lol:

I shaved with my Slim once, in a bed & breakfast, when I had forgotten to turn it that quarter-turn to bend the blade. One of my worst shaves in memory. I feel your pain!

Heal quickly!

Yeah I made that mistake with my Slim when I got it. I cleaned it one time and didn't get the @#$!@$# TTO doors tighten down quarter turn after it seat, and every pass felt like I was plaining skin, that dam blade was loose. I don't make that mistake any more.

Here is a blade gap comparison between a Gillette Super-Speed flare-tip (made in US) and a Slim.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom