What's new

is this a good idea or something i really shouldnt do

every time I change blades and clean my razor which is about every 6 or 7 days I put a drop of machine oil on threads before I screw it together. seams like a good idea to me. what do you guys think. :blink:

Not needed. Once every few months at most. I wouldn't use machine oil, unless I knew what was in it. Pure mineral oil is typically used, instead.

I started like that but it has grown to cleaning once a month. I use Lucas gun oil but I have a big jug of it for my guns and it gets used on everything from my knives to a squeaky door hinge.

I would be concerned with what the machine oil is doing to the finish of the razor, or the gun oil. Like DaltonGang said, mineral oil should do well.

I clean mine every few months, or when a film of soap residue has developed. Proraso white leaves a thicker film faster so I clean more often if that's what I have been using. A hot soak, quick scrub with an old toothbrush, and a rinse does the job.

I have several guns with brass, nickel plated, and even chrome plated parts much much older than I. Pretty sure they haven't survived all this time with no gun oil on them. The time I've owned them it hasn't hurt them. I also know the Fatboy I use has had gun oil used on it since the day my grandpa bought it. Hasn't seemed to bother it since 1960.

I would have to agree with neo71665 I don't see machine oil or gun oil doing any harm to the finish. I do see where it wouldn't be good in a cut but I don't see where 1 drop on the threads is any danger of getting in a cut but if it did mineral oil would be a better choice. thanks for the reply's though. keep em coming.

+1 for this. These razors are designed to perform daily with really no maintenance. Just load it up and shave away.

Not needed. Once every few months at most. I wouldn't use machine oil, unless I knew what was in it. Pure mineral oil is typically used, instead.

I would be concerned with what the machine oil is doing to the finish of the razor, or the gun oil. Like DaltonGang said, mineral oil should do well.

I clean mine every few months, or when a film of soap residue has developed. Proraso white leaves a thicker film faster so I clean more often if that's what I have been using. A hot soak, quick scrub with an old toothbrush, and a rinse does the job.
+1

There are a few guys who recommend putting a drop of oil on the threads of zamak razors, such as Mühle, to promote longevity ...

Ballistol is great stuff (love it for lubricating the pivots on my folding knives), but as Scaramouche says, it is definitely an acquired smell - unless you really like licorice.

I am still a newbie at wet shaving, so I don't claim to be an expert (yet!), but when I'm done shaving I simply take my razor apart, rinse it off well in really hot water, and then wipe it dry.

+1

Top Bottom