What's new

ID on "Chicken Pan"

Just curious about an old cast iron pan in the cupboard. There are no manufacturer's names or trademarks on this lidded pan. On the outside of the lid there is the number '8' and inside the legend "1035" over the letter "A". The bottom of the pan simply says "Chicken Pan", again the number "8" and the number "1034" over the letter "A". The interior is smoothly ground. I'd love to know a little bit more about who manufactured it and a time frame. The lid is quite heavy and fits tightly. Here's some pictures. $IMG_0534.jpg$IMG_0535.jpg$IMG_0536.jpg$IMG_0538.jpg$IMG_0537.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Edcculus and DoctorShavegood. I figured the 'Mess Hall Ironmongers' would have knowledge and be glad to share it. The interior finish had me guessing that it wasn't current production. We inherited it along with some Wagner Ware from my wife's mother. Looking at those prices I guess I'll have to call my insurance agent and get a cookware rider for my policy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's a nice rare Griswold. Since no country of origin is listed, it will date pre-1960. It's probably from the 1940's. Get on youtube and find a good technique for cleaning and seasoning. That is a keeper.

Don't "clean it"

Put some hot water in it and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then use a tampaco bristle brush (veg fiber) and go around the inside. Rinse.

After it is completely dry, put it on the stove with between 1/4" and 1/2" of fat (lard is the best but if you want to be "good" you can use a more healthy safe oil, NOT olive oil or butter but an oil made for higher heat). While the oil is heating in the pan, take your cut chicken and if it is wet, pat it dry on paper towels. Dredge in flower seasoned with salt and pepper (yes that's all you need). Place the flowered chicken pieces in the pan one at a time starting with the larger breast pieces, then thighs, then legs, then smaller ones (wings, backs). Allow about a minute between adding pieces so your oil stays hot. Once all the pieces are in, turn them over, lower the flame to low, COVER the cooker and DO NOT REMOVE the lid for 25 minutes. Just before you remove the lid raise the heat to med high and when you hear it "talking to you" pop the lid off and with tongs turn the chicken. Brown/crisp on the turned side for 4-5 minutes (adjusting the heat so you do not burn) then turn the pieces back over and brown/crisp the other side for the same amount of time. Remove to a rack or paper towel to drain.

When the oil cools, strain it through a wire tea strainer to get the big chunks out and then take the pan back to the "put some hot water in it step" but this time when it is dry, put it away.

You can thank me later :yesnod:

Don't "clean it"

Put some hot water in it and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then use a tampaco bristle brush (veg fiber) and go around the inside. Rinse.

After it is completely dry, put it on the stove with between 1/4" and 1/2" of fat (lard is the best but if you want to be "good" you can use a more healthy safe oil, NOT olive oil or butter but an oil made for higher heat). While the oil is heating in the pan, take your cut chicken and if it is wet, pat it dry on paper towels. Dredge in flower seasoned with salt and pepper (yes that's all you need). Place the flowered chicken pieces in the pan one at a time starting with the larger breast pieces, then thighs, then legs, then smaller ones (wings, backs). Allow about a minute between adding pieces so your oil stays hot. Once all the pieces are in, turn them over, lower the flame to low, COVER the cooker and DO NOT REMOVE the lid for 25 minutes. Just before you remove the lid raise the heat to med high and when you hear it "talking to you" pop the lid off and with tongs turn the chicken. Brown/crisp on the turned side for 4-5 minutes (adjusting the heat so you do not burn) then turn the pieces back over and brown/crisp the other side for the same amount of time. Remove to a rack or paper towel to drain.

When the oil cools, strain it through a wire tea strainer to get the big chunks out and then take the pan back to the "put some hot water in it step" but this time when it is dry, put it away.

You can thank me later :yesnod:
Oh I'll thank you now and later too. Actually the pan's in use now for chuck roasts and baked beans with fried chicken next. It got a good hot water brushing after the beans and two lard re-seasoning sessions today.

Exactly, there's plenty of finds in the wild. I just showed the links for ID purposes.

I suppose that technically speaking this one wasn't found in the wild since it was 'inherited'. I guess that means 'it showed up on our doorstep'. I really do appreciate your links. I figured that with its smooth, milled interior it wasn't current production but the lack of trademarks had me scratching my head (actually scratching my scalp might be more accurate - time has been giving me a monk's tonsure). I put the pan and the lid on the kitchen scale and the lid came in at 3lbs 9oz the pan at 5lbs 11oz. No wonder the old-timers ate all they wanted and didn't get fat. A 9lb pot, 5 or 6lbs of chicken and 8oz of lard and breading - grannie got a workout just cooking Sunday dinner. With the weight of the lid and its tight fit I wonder if you're not pressure cooking that chicken at about 3lbs pressure.

Top Bottom