What's new

How many passes do you go, and how long do your blades last?

How many passes? # Shaves you'll use a blade?

• 1 pass, 2-3

• 1 pass, 4-5

• 1 pass, 6+

• 2 passes, 2-3

• 2 passes, 4-5

• 2 passes, 6+

• 3 passes, 2-3

• 3 passes, 4-5

• 3 passes, 6+

• 4 passes, 2-3

• 4 passes, 4-5

• 4 passes, 6+

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm curious as to how many passes most folks on here go for their average shave. I either do 1 + touchup or a "1.5" pass where I make another pass doing everything except the chin/below chin/mustache areas. I just find more than that superfluous unless I go ATG, which my skin never particularly agrees with. I'll usually toss a blade after 5 uses, although I could probably go a bit longer. How about you guys?

*please don't cheat and report your SE blade lifespan. my latest GEM ran for 13 days before I chucked it just because I wanted to clean the razor :lol:

Last edited:
Mine changes too much to pick one slot. The combo of razor, blade, etc. can skew the numbers a bit. Also if the angle is right and you are cutting hair and not raking flesh the life of the blade goes up.

I do a 3 pass shave with the milder razors, while a 2 pass shave is usually all I need with the agressive ones. I usually toss DE blades after 3 or 4 uses because they're cheap and when I quit using cartridge razors I vowed that I would never again shave with a dull blade.

--Bob

Last edited:
I can go longer with my blades, because the facial hair I have is not very coarse. I go three passes with touch-ups on the face and jaw, but only one pass on the neck. The neck will get very bad ingrown hairs with more than one pass.

I do four passes and from most blades get four uses out of them. The only two exceptions are Feather (2 uses) and Personna Med Preps or Labs (5 passes).

3 passes with mild razors, I can get away with 4-5 uses from gillette 7 o'clock yellows. It's just what feels right.

3 passes and 2-4 shave with a blade. Feathers give 2, Voskhod gives 4. My injectors will last a lot longer and I get a dozen or more shaves on a blade.

I've been using my Polsilver's for three shaves. I usually do a two pass plus touch ups, or a full three passes.

Always 3 passes. Shaves/blade varies some depending on the blade brand but a general average is 4-6 shaves/blade.

I do WTG, then XTG, then touch-up. I have a fairly wiry beard in spots, but sensitive skin. My blue tip SS and an Astra seem to be the best combination for me. I go with four shaves on the Astra (I probably could go five, but the Astras are so affordable, I'll take four great shaves over four great and one very good shave).

Top Bottom