What's new

Gillette 7 o'clock green blades signs of rust after 1 shave?

Anyone ever experience this? I I used one of these blades for the first time in a super speed yesterday and noticed some small rust spots on it this morning. Luckily I always take my blades out of the razors to dry separately.

Hmm I'm not sure maybe someone else will chime in, I've just never had it happen. Think it has anything to do with the razor?

I have not had that problem with the Russian 7'O Clock greens I've tried.

I did have that problem with both Gillette Nacet's I've used.

I'm using the super stainless and have not had that problem. I dry my blades separate from the razor too. Are you sure those are genuine blades?

I'm using the super stainless and have not had that problem. I dry my blades separate from the razor too. Are you sure those are genuine blades?

i believe they are, think it has anything to do with the vintage razor?

It's possible you got a pack that used a bad batch of steel, but I'm sure Gillette's quality control checks the composition before they use the steel. Frankly I don't know a ton about this stuff, I'm still a new guy. Was the rust at least not near the edge?

Also, did you happen to scrub the blade at all before the rust happened? This rust could just be some foreign material (either from the factory or your razor/cleaning), stainless steel shouldn't oxidize to iron oxide on the surface. What did the rust look like?

It's possible you got a pack that used a bad batch of steel, but I'm sure Gillette's quality control checks the composition before they use the steel. Frankly I don't know a ton about this stuff, I'm still a new guy. Was the rust at least not near the edge?

Also, did you happen to scrub the blade at all before the rust happened? This rust could just be some foreign material (either from the factory or your razor/cleaning), stainless steel shouldn't oxidize to iron oxide on the surface. What did the rust look like?

Thats what I don't know if it was rust or not? It was more like dark spots on the blade that I didn't notice before shaving. Any ways I just chucked it instead of using it again. Blades are cheap.

Gillette 7 o'clock green blades signs of rust after 1 shave?

Anyone ever experience this? I I used one of these blades for the first time in a super speed yesterday and noticed some small rust spots on it this morning. Luckily I always take my blades out of the razors to dry separately.
Do you have any pictures?

I used Gillette SS greens, Russian made, and they were excellent blades. Definitely didn't have any rust.

Hi guys sorry to revive such an old thread. I have the same problem after one use, is this normal?

5617F456-6D7D-4B4E-BA11-A34DCDD068E1.jpeg

It is high humidity {rh ~85%}in Singapore at the moment but in the bathroom what are the conditions? How and where did you store that blade after the shave? Also which face was nearest the cap; 3/4 or 1/2? Does the bevels on face 1/2 look the same?

Last edited:
Its strange you mention this, I bought a pack of these from amazon recently and this is what I am using now ( and am having a real hard time with them to be honest ).I noticed the same thing. That discoloration is there right out of the package. I just opened up a new one to take a picture and I am now convinced it is a stupid amount of soft glue for the stupid wrapper that is discoloring the blade and then spreading around etc.. I can’t imagine it’s going to yield good results if it gets to the edge.

edit: I see someone calls it wax spots,?

Last edited:
Could be the razor. I have never had a problem with a blade rusting even when I leave it in a razor for a week. But I had an Ikon Slant several years ago and that razor caused any blade left in it overnight to rust. Must have been the coating they use on them causing a galvanic reaction or something like that. It's the only razor I ever had that problem with though and I've had quite a few.

I use a EJDE89 , after shaving I dismantle but do not wipe down the blade.

during the shave the pictured side is facing downwards. I do not think they are wax spots, as the waxed area is on (1/2) side.

could this be the reason I change blades so often?

Hi guys I think I have to elaborate. Always on my second shave I experience tugging even with a good lather and riding the cap.

Initially I put it down to poor technique, but after trying out a Bic chrome platinum given to me I could get 4 comfortable shaves out of it (didn’t push it after 4).

This is the reason why I revived such an old thread looking for answers!

Reactions: Avi
This really surprises me. 7 o'clock Super Stainless are one of my favorite blades. Sharp - exceptionally smooth. My only knock on them is that they don't last as long as some others - but I never noticed any rusting.

Top Bottom