What's new

Which order to use Sampler?

I just tried Kai blades, and those things are super sharp. They are very irritating in the first day or two, and then when they dull, I find them to be smooth, and it lasts like 6 days.

I have a sampler which includes:
Derby Extra
Astra SUperior
Dorco ST300
Dorco ST301
Shark SUper chrome
Sharp Stainless
Bic CHrome
7am Platinum
Lord DE's

Which order should I do? SHould I give each one like 2-3 days?

Unless you have multiple razors (I only use one currently) I'd try them alphabetically, one blade from each manufacturer until they become uncomfortable, then rule out the ones you don't like put those aside. Then either revisit them later or give them away.

Many of those blades are hated. It is nothing wrong with trying bad blades, but you need to know how a good blade acts before you are able to judge those blades.

I would highly recommend you to try Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue and Feather before trying those... Pick first one of those 3 that works best for you, then compare the rest to them.

Since those are the blades you have I recommend the Dorco 301 and Astra.

Derby Extra - tear my face up
Astra SUperior - Great Blade!!!!
Dorco ST300 - OK, not the best
Dorco ST301 - Godd forgiving blade
Shark SUper chrome - one shave is good, then you need stock in stypic

Never used:

Sharp Stainless - don't know.
Bic CHrome - hated by many, loved by a few
7am Platinum not many good reviews
Lord DE's, heard mixed reviews

How many of each did you get? If you have enough to spare 2 of each, then you cam go to The Great Exchange blade thread and exchange some for more recommended blades like Feather, Personna Red, Blue, Gillette Silver Blues, Voskhod, Polsilver super Iridium, PermaSharp, just to name a few highly recommended blades.

smballer,
In a month or so after you've tried out the blades you have, please send me a PM and I'll hook you up with a sampler of blades that are more highly regarded (If you are in the USA). You might find a blade in your stash that you really like or you might find that you will prefer something else. Everyone's experiences are different. Your skin and face, the razor you use, the soap or cream you use... it all comes into play when deciding on preferred blades.

Give each of your blades a 2-3 shave trial. Make a couple of notes so you don't forget which did what. As your skills progress you should revisit a few of the blades to see if they suit you better then than they do now.

I'm about through that same sampler pack. Really let down by most of them. The ones to stick around after the first blade were the astra and lords. For me everything else either tugged or left me a lot of good weepers. Not saying my technique is sounds yet but I can usually get away with only ending up with a little neck irritation. There are a few blades I'd still like to try out before I make my first bulk blade buy (been going through creme samplers too). When I ordered my creme samples got a chance to get a 5 pack of personna reds (turned out great) and wilkonson swords (perfect 1st bbs shave then tore me up on the second shave). Really wanna try some med preps, lab blues, feathers gsb's, and voskhods. They're the ones you can't avoid seeing getting mentioned.. but running the trial for me if the experience was nice I'd use the blade for a few nights before switching to something different, though there were a few that only lasted one night haha.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
try them in the order you listed them.
And use them until they are uncomfortable.

These are all going to be subjective and entirely up to you.

Personally, my favorite "cheap" blade is on your list. So I'd go with the Shark next. I've had good results with them, but alas YMMV!

I'm surprised that people say these blades aren't well-regarded
I tried to get the most varied pack possible in order to do some trial & error.

What do you guys think of Kai blades though?
I heard that if I get Feather, they will be somewhat similar to them, but its just hard to buy Kai's for a good price, they seem to be $0.50 per blade everywhere I look

Kai are supposed to be great blades, just pricey and harder to come by. Most will agree that there are less expensive blades that match or come close enough to the quality of Kai or Feather. It's all subjective.

If you have the money and would like to try some Kai, then do so. There are dozens if not hundreds of different blades to be had, surely there will be many that you will like and many that you won't.

Can I jump into this thread with my sampler? It arrives tomorrow and I'm also wondering in what order I should use them? Two details. I'm a returning (after many decades) DE user with a Super Speed. And based on my reading I suspect I'd like the Astra SP and would be inclined to buy 100 if they feel good because of low price and availability. Should I start with the Astras? Or try a few others first then go to them after my technique has been improved a bit?

1 FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan)
1 GOAL (India)
1 TREET Platinum (Pakistan)
1 DERBY (Turkey)
1 SUPER-MAX Platinum (India) 1 SUPER-MAX Stainless (India)
1 TRIG Silver Edge Stainless (Pakistan)
1 ASTRA Superior Stainless (Russia) 1 ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia)
1 NACET Platinum (Russia) 1 NACET Stainless (Russia)
1 BIC Chrome Platinum (Greece)
2 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia)
2 Blades BLUEBIRD (Europe)

The only blade I tried was the Dorco ST300. I like them so far.
Should I still try a sampler or just order more Dorco blades?

Can I jump into this thread with my sampler? It arrives tomorrow and I'm also wondering in what order I should use them? Two details. I'm a returning (after many decades) DE user with a Super Speed. And based on my reading I suspect I'd like the Astra SP and would be inclined to buy 100 if they feel good because of low price and availability. Should I start with the Astras? Or try a few others first then go to them after my technique has been improved a bit?

Astras seem to be a well tolerated blade, so I figure there are as good a starting point as any. That's a pretty unique sampler for sure.

I got some unheard of blades added into my sample too.

I got Trig blades, and then there are also Sharps, 7AM Hi Platinum Plus...

ANy thoughts on these?

Top Bottom