What's new

Real world experiences with AAA auto club

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Howdy!

I received a letter in the mail today to join the AAA auto club. I've received letters in the past and trashed them. Never thought it would be worth it.
But now I'm actually curious if those that are members find it useful?
$66 for 13 months isn't a bad price if you think of it as having peace of mind.

Overall what are you experiences with having to deal with AAA?

What are some perks that you have used?

Are they really a worthwhile club to join?

Are there any "catches" to being a member? Stuff they don't tell you or want you to know.

Also what are some added benefits? I notice they partner with other business to offer discounts for AAA members. Are any of them actually good?

Last edited:
$66 is nothing for the peace of mind of knowing that if you ever lock yourself out of your car, ever have a dead battery, ever run out of gas, etc. that help is only a phone call away. Depending on which level of membership you get, there may also be a certain amount that AAA will pay in legal fees for speeding tickets, moving violations, etc. That pays for the membership and then some for those of us with lead foots :wink:

The only "catch" is that you will wait hours for help if you call them during busy times. This is probably obvious, but if your battery dies during a snow storm, you may be stuck for quite some time since there will be many, many other people needing their help.

It is also very good for a tons of instant discounts at places you would least expect, like Aspen Dental Services and Dell computers. I believe it is over 160,000 places.

I had it for a few years but ditched it when I realized that my VISA Signature card offers a similar service as part of the yearly fee.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My grandparents had it for years. It worked for them. I just get the roadside assistance added to my auto insurance- I have never had a problem.

We don't even buy a car until it ALREADY has 100,000 miles on it. AAA is a great choice. Flat tire? Keys locked safely inside the car? Engine won't start? I don't have a problem - AAA has a problem. I don't know why we waited so long.

30 years and counting. Peace of mind while traveling, pre-SWMBO and now she has an associate membership for when she is out and about with the offspring. We usually get about 1/2 the cost back just in discounts through the year so it works for us.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Anyone have experience with actually using the service?
Is it as simple as calling them up and saying hey I'm stuck on I-80 come get me.

Anyone have experience with actually using the service?
Is it as simple as calling them up and saying hey I'm stuck on I-80 come get me.

Pretty much. Anything from towing to tire repair to locked in keys. They give you to a regional dispatcher. The number is prominently displayed on the card.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Pretty much. Anything from towing to tire repair to locked in keys. They give you to a regional dispatcher. The number is prominently displayed on the card.

So do they call up the closest tow truck company or lock smith and AAA pays them?

So do they call up the closest tow truck company or lock smith and AAA pays them?

In Syracuse, they have their own fleet for repairs and the tow companies carry their approval sticker. I assume the tow companies they use are vetted. They also have their own fleet of tow trucks but when times get busy I believe they do use outside vendors. I have always gotten an AAA employee.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
In Syracuse, they have their own fleet for repairs and the tow companies carry their approval sticker. I assume the tow companies they use are vetted. They also have their own fleet of tow trucks but when times get busy I believe they do use outside vendors. I have always gotten an AAA employee.

Interesting. I was thinking they would just all the closest company. Something like "this is AAA go pick up Jason on I-80 and send us the bill".
Which could also lead to good or bad service.

Interesting. I was thinking they would just all the closest company. Something like "this is AAA go pick up Jason on I-80 and send us the bill".
Which could also lead to good or bad service.

Either way. They just take your membership number and do the deed. Always seamless billing in my experience.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I've used them 3 times this year, there great they picked up my hot rod twice and took my son's car to the body shop for me. If your in a car and it breaks down your AAA card will get you towed. Well worth the money. I never drive without a cell phone and my AAA card.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
They banned my wife when they figured out she was using them as an alternative to buying a new battery from Sears.

They also will provide enough gas to get to a gas station. There is a map service too which can provide regional guides, maps for where ever you are going and a thing called TripTicket. TripTicket gives you a flippable map set that is highlighted from your start to your destination with markings indicating detours and road work.

My mother signed me up this past winter after I had a couple of issues. The few times that I have tried to use them I have found them to be useless. I got stuck in a snow drift at 2:30 & gave up trying to get a hold of someone after being on hold for over 30 minutes. I got myself unstuck.

Never saw the need. I keep a spare key. Carry jumper cables. Carry a spare and can change it. Carry a tow strap and chain in my winter vehicle. I also watch my gas gauge. I have been towed twice in the past 25 years. The tow bill each time was about the annual AAA dues.

Top Bottom