What's new

Which Rapira?

Anybody with experience using Rapira blades, tell me which version you like best, please. I'm just curious. I've heard a lot of good things about "Rapira" blades, but when you get right down to it, there is the Lux, the Super Stainless, and other varieties.

Are they all pretty much the same? Or does one of them really stand out above the rest?

Good question, but perhaps one that is impossible to answer. IMO, DE blades are perhaps the most YMMV item in the shave world.

Having said that I like Voskhods, Rapira Platinum Lux and Rapira Stainless (pink and blue box). Ladas and Rapira Swedish Stainless seemed rough to me. I haven't tried the Rapira Chrome yet.

Italian Barber has an excellent Rapira sampler, with free shipping if you buy on their ebay site. http://www.ebay.com/itm/From-Russia...t=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item3f2cd1be72

$russiansamplerm.jpg

I like the Swedish Supersteel, Platinum Lux, and Voskhod. It is almost a coin toss for me as to which is better. I personally prefer the Platinum Lux by a whisker.

I personally prefer Voskhod but with little difference between it and the Lux. Another one my face loves is the regular stainless in the dual color pack, not the 3 striped one.

Hmmm, I just finished shave #3 with a Rapira Super Stainless and wasn't impressed. Didn't seem quite sharp enough compared to a few other brands I use frequently.

I may be confused slightly as to which is which when it comes to the Rapira blades. My recent one had a "Swedish Supersteel" paper wrapper but said "Super Stainless" on the blade.:001_huh:

I still have a blade marked "Platinum Lux" on both the wrapper and the blade. I'll give that one a go this week and see if it suits me better.

Voskhods are my favorite, not got around to trying the swedes yet or the platinum, I'm almost scared to after my experience with the rapira stainless. Both the super stainless werent bad but not great for me. Definitely YMMV, just get a sampler from Italian barber on the bay.

I've only tried the Super Stainless. Very cheap, and pretty good.

Edit: I said this already. My opinion still stands :)

Last edited:
Voskhods are my favorite, with Platinum Lux coming a close second. Swedish Supersteel were hit or miss for me, depending on the razor. Didn't care for the others.

I personally categorize them like this:

For maximum sharpness with some roughness - Swedish Super Steel.
Combination sharpness and smoothness, Platinum Lux, closely followed by Voskhod (for me the latter are a bit tuggier than the Plat Lux).
Plain blue and pink Super Stainless -- sharp but rough. Inferior to all the others.
I switch between the Swedish and the Platinum Lux as my favorite of the group depending on my razor, my mood, and how much growth I have to get rid of.

Best overall? Gillette Silver Blue of course. As usual for blades Petersburg beats Moscow.

I like the Super Stainless (blue, black, and pink box), then the Platinum Lux. I loathe the Voskhod blades. I have yet to get even a decent shave out of them. I haven't tried the others.

lux, swedish, and voskhod for me as well though i give the edge to the swedish over the lux by a hair. the ladas were a bit better then the regular rapiras but imo not as good lux or swedish

Top Bottom