What's new

Thoughts on whipped dog strop.

I'm looking for a starter strop to get me by till I can get a nicer one. I was wondering if anyone has used or a currently using a poor man strop form whipped dog and was looking for some feed back before I go to buy one.

Tony Miller will be getting 3" "Plain Vanilla" seconds in stock in one week. I say buy one of those then. Has a cloth component (unlike wool which 99% of shavers either hate or find useless, yet star shaving refuses to do away with), and $20 cheaper than the Rich Man's.
His site is found by googling the well shaved gentleman.

I'm not a huge fan of 3" strops (prefer 2.5"), but there's not a better deal available that I can find atm than this. Consider asking him to include a "practice strop" with it. It's a simple hanging piece of leather (Similar to the strops you're looking at), for <$10 he offers with strop orders so you can practice on it so you wont scrape up your nicer strop as much.

Last edited:
I have the poor man's strop and I'm really not a fan. I've been using my roommate's Illinois Strop Company to much better results. It just feels more natural to strop on. I've also just ordered a 2.5" from scrupleworks that I'm excited for.

I used my poorman's strop for about 6-8 months when I started and I actually really liked it. I found the draw to be just to my liking. For me it was the cheapest option available and even after getting another strop I used it for a while since I left it in the bathroom and wasn't afraid to ruin it with moisture/water like my TM.

The downsides are the width and length of the strop.

Tony Miller will be getting 3" "Plain Vanilla" seconds in stock in one week. I say buy one of those then. Has a cloth component (unlike wool which 99% of shavers either hate or find useless, yet star shaving refuses to do away with), and $20 cheaper than the Rich Man's.
His site is found by googling the well shaved gentleman.

I'm not a huge fan of 3" strops (prefer 2.5"), but there's not a better deal available that I can find atm than this. Consider asking him to include a "practice strop" with it. It's a simple hanging piece of leather (Similar to the strops you're looking at), for <$10 he offers with strop orders so you can practice on it so you wont scrape up your nicer strop as much.

+1

I just got the "Plain Chocolate" strop from Tony Miller after using the Poor Man's Strop for a couple of months. The TM strop is light years beyond the PM strop. Yeah it's more money, but if you can stretch your budget the increase in quality is more than worth it.

Top Bottom