What's new

Help me out with getting a new pipe?

Hey B&B! Just wanted to get a few peoples opinions about good places to go pipe shopping.

Any particular brands, or websites, or even stores (preferably in the D.C. area) that you might suggest?

I already have one pipe (Peterson Calabash), but I'm considering buying a second one with a bigger bowl. However, I would really like to spend under $200 if possible.

Anyways, any suggestions are welcome! :thumbup1:

There are a bunch of online vendors that have a great selection of pipes. Many of which are in your price range. SmokingPipes.com, PipesandCigars.com, 4noggins.com, just to name a few. As for the DC area, I am not familiar with stores up there. I am sure there are other members that are. So I will defer to them.

I would be remiss in not mentioning the B&B LE 2014 Pipe! One of which is in your price range! Click here to see the thread. Ordering stops on Friday so you can get in just under the wire!
Happy hunting!

I know of a place in Fairfax, VA that I want to go to the next time I have some time to waste down in the DC area. It's called the John B Hayes Tobacco Shop. They apparently carry Peterson, Tinsky, and other good pipe makers.

It's not in DC, but it seems like it would be worth the trip if you actually want to look for pipes in person.

http://www.hayestobacconist.com

There are a bunch of online vendors that have a great selection of pipes. Many of which are in your price range. SmokingPipes.com, PipesandCigars.com, 4noggins.com, just to name a few. As for the DC area, I am not familiar with stores up there. I am sure there are other members that are. So I will defer to them.

I would be remiss in not mentioning the B&B LE 2014 Pipe! One of which is in your price range! Click here to see the thread. Ordering stops on Friday so you can get in just under the wire!
Happy hunting!

Agreed! If I had the $ I'd be all over that bad boy.

Have never personally been there BUT I hear really good things about JR Cigars. It's supposed to be only a block or 2 north west of the White House I believe! I went to one of their outlets/ cigar stores down in NC 2 weeks ago and was REALLY impressed! They probably had about 100 different pipes ranging from $20 to $200 plus. Had a good selection of tobacco, accessories and probably 10-12 bulk tobacco's. I had a awesome time hanging out sampling flavors (For Free :) ) and learning ALOT about pipes and tobacco! Make sure to bring a pipe along! OR purchase a pipe and spend some time sampling the flavors :) Their website is http://www.jrwashingtondc.com

http://www.boswellpipes.com is obviously my first recommendation... You can road trip there in a few hours...

Old Virginia Tobacco has shops on this side of the river and are a lot closer. You can metro to Pentagon City and visit the shop there. Honestly I don't know what their selection or prices are like, but it never hurts to look right? I think their store in Seven Corners has more selection of pipes.

Just some ideas to consider.

Dude! Get the Tinsky!! I've been wanting the B&B 2014 LE all year and the funding just isn't there...if I were you, there would be no other decision.

Georgetown Tobacco, 3144 M St NW, Washington, DC. The store has been around for a long time and has a good reputation from what I hear. One of the gentlemen is a long time pipe smoker.

If you havent bought yet check pipesandcigars.com they are having 20% off site wide today, real good deal.
Also for local John B Hayes in Fair Oaks Mall, great group of people workimg and very nice prices on a great selection. Last weekend they had 3 of the Tinsky 13 XMas pipe.

Quick question, how long does it take for pipe tobacco to go stale? Also, should I keep it in a humidor or where should I store it?

Store it in a mason jar in a cool dark place. Did you find a pipe? Would you consider an Estate pipe? If so I might be able to help you out...

+1 on JR Cigars - There's a shop not too far from me and they've always been great to deal with, and have great prices.

For pipes, I'm not too fancy. I spend most of my smoking money on expensive Cigars, so when it comes to pipes I rotate through a couple of Corn Cobs.

Well, I decided to get this pipe. Its looks great, seemed like a good price, and fits the length and depth of the bowl I was looking for. (Sorry for the late reply).

I've been to JR Cigars a couple times, they have a great selection of cigars, and from what I saw a decent selection of pipe tobacco. Plus I love that you can smoke in the shop, that's always a plus if you've got some time on your hands.

Thanks for the tip about the mason jars! I'll definitely go grab some soon!

Top Bottom