What's new

Using Witch Hazel?

Cool -- but "treat muscle soreness"? I'm not buying it. Dr. Weil hasn't been to a gym in a long time, I'm reckoning.

I use Witch Hazel frequently. Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe is alcohol free and is cool and soothing. Generic Witch Hazel is inexpensive and is an excellent astringent aftershave. My Dad used Dickinson's and always have a bottle on hand.

I've used Thayer's and plain witch hazel since I started wet shaving. It's a great alternative to alcohol based aftershaves, particularly in the winter.

I started using witch hazel a few days ago, and I already love it. The smell was offputting at first, but you really only smell it while you're applying it and then it's gone soon after.

I primarily use it to remove excess oil from my face.

What are your feelings about Witch Hazel vs. some sort of formulated aftershave? I have an aversion to fragrances that has made me unable to use traditional aftershave. I know Witch Hazel has a strong initial scent, that soon dissipates. Any thoughts?

Joe

I put in a little glycerin in my witch hazle and apply it before my after shave. Takes care of any weepers and most or all of the aftershave burn. Although I like a little burn. I have been using Jeris hair tonic (no oil) for aftershave lately and I also and a little witch hazle and glycerin to the bottle. Works great.

Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel with Aloe comes in several scents and doesn't smell like generic witch Hazel.

I use witch hazel AND scented aftershave! I used to buy the Dickinsons, but I decided the cheap stuff works fine, and cost less.

I mix my witch hazel with Glycerin and Tea Tree Oil. I apply it after a shave and any time I wash my face.

Another trick I do is squirt a bit on a towel and wipe my face down. Its a quick way to feel refreshed if you have been sweating!

So if you plan to use a non witch hazel aftershave, should you apply it prior?
Maybe use Proraso green aftershave on its own, but apply witch hazel before using Fine.

I've used Dickinson's for 55 years. It is a great after shave and general astringent. Also good for sunburn &. Minor rashes. Would not be without it in the house.

Top Bottom