What's new

Witch Hazel or Thayers or something else

Many people are not very bright and don't use it correctly, then wonder why they are doing the Home Alone scream when they slap the stuff on.
I’ll definitely agree that people aren’t exactly the brightest bulbs in the socket. Had to deal with one of the duller specimens at work today. And it’s been awhile since I’ve come close to doing one of the home alone screams. But it was more due to a poor shave on my part than misuse of the aftershave

I usually don’t say this but:

I honestly think that using witch hazel is a YMMV situation. Due to differences in our facial biochemistry some people will experience benefits from using it (myself included) while others won’t see any benefits

I’ll definitely agree that people aren’t exactly the brightest bulbs in the socket. Had to deal with one of the duller specimens at work today. And it’s been awhile since I’ve come close to doing one of the home alone screams. But it was more due to a poor shave on my part than misuse of the aftershave

When I first started, like everyone else, my technique wasn't the best. Just about anything would burn after a shave, even alcohol free balms.

For well over a decade now I can use high-alcohol splashes and get little to no burn. I simply rinse my face thoroughly with cold water from the tap (no towel dry), only use the amount I need, rub the AS in my hands, and very gently pat it on my beard area. Again, little to no burn this way. It doesn't dry out my skin either. After the AS has fully evaporated and my face has air-dried (this takes a few minutes only) I follow up with a small amount of light non-comedogenic face moisturizer. Zero issues this way.

If you go to YT you'll see folks using like 1/4 cup of AS (which is way too much) and they are applying it to a bone dry face. Some of these people really slap it on, rub it all over their temples and forehead, etc. That's a bit much and it will of course burn that way. If you do that when your technique is not on point it will sting quite a lot.

By the way when I visited old school barbers as a kid they would always gently apply alcohol based AS or tonic (often something like Osage Rub) to my neck after shaving it with a straight. Early on it was a transitional time and they were still using real straights which they would sterilize in Barbicide and strop on a leather strop fastened to the barber chair. A little later they moved to shavette type straights.

Rather than go to YouTube, I think I’ll ask the experts here. What is the proper method of applying witch hazel to your face post-shave? Rub it in your hands first (like an aftershave) or use some kind of applicator (cotton puff, etc.)?

TIA,
Paul

Rather than go to YouTube, I think I’ll ask the experts here. What is the proper method of applying witch hazel to your face post-shave? Rub it in your hands first (like an aftershave) or use some kind of applicator (cotton puff, etc.)?

TIA,
Paul
I can't visualize there being a wrong technique. Whatever puts enough on your face is what works. Tune the amount for minimal waste and friction on your face.

I pour a tiny puddle in the palm of my hand, and spread it on my face. It typically requires 2 puddles.

The guys on YouTube who splash after shave on both hands rubbing them together and then rubbing their face must have tougher skin than I do because this seems unnecessarily abusive to me.

I'll spread some Weleda Skin Food on while my face is still wet. I don't like too much of this stuff and witch hazel thins it out so I apply a nice, thin layer.

... Thom

TIA,
Paul
I do the hand application, even with witch hazels that come with a spray applicator.

I’m almost out of Witch Hazel which I don’t use often. I only use it after alum when my skin is irritated, burned, etc. I want to know what is so great about Thayers over witch Hazel. I can and have even done a little mix of pure aloe in the past.
Thayers is witch hazel and they have aloe but I use both with and without aloe and I don’t see a difference except in cost.

TIA,
Paul
Splash it on like aftershave it’s cheap it prevents razor bumps from happening.

Of course I had to try Thayers after joining some years back to see if it was better than Dickinson's. I ordered 2 bottles of different scents (lemon & lav?), and a Superhazel. Superhazel was like splashing acid on my face and was pif'd to another member. I also wasn't impressed with the other Thayers, and tried to get my wife to use them. She refused and they eventually went down the drain. I still using Dickinson's after every shave before, or in place of, aftershave). It stops most shave irritation and weepers. Dickinson's is also my go-to for skin irritations, itching, minor cuts and insect bites. On a cotton-round, it also helps clean and soothe hemorrhoid irritation (sorry for that, but if you don't have them now, you likely will at some point). I find no difference between Dickinson's blue or yellow label. I've even used Kroger brand on vacation.

If witch hazel doesn't stop the bleeding from razor nicks, get some McCormick or store-brand alum from the grocery. If you have an alum block you don't like, put it in a baggie and pulverize a chunk of it into a powder. Dip a wet finger in and apply to the cut. For deeper cuts make a paste. When dry, brush off. If still bleeding, reapply. Works great & better than TP on your face.

I shifted from Thayers with aloe (which worked and felt fine) to cheap stuff from Amazon with 14% alcohol.

I like the idea of a bit more disinfecting, and the small percentage of alcohol acts like a mild alum block, from the perspective of getting feedback on my shave.

... Thom

After using an alum block, I use Thayer’s unscented witch hazel facial toner.

Anything with much alcohol in it makes my skin burn and turn red.

I’m almost out of Witch Hazel which I don’t use often. I only use it after alum when my skin is irritated, burned, etc. I want to know what is so great about Thayers over witch Hazel. I can and have even done a little mix of pure aloe in the past.
Some Witch Hazel is pure WH, others are cut with alcohol (I believe Thyers has alcohol) and I find the alcohol has a detrimental effect on my skin. Lately I prefer using Luck Tiger Premium AS splash. I has lots of good things in it to nourish your skin (Witch Hazel, aloe vera, calendula, and chamomile).

Top Bottom