What's new

Using Witch Hazel?

Ever used Tucks for hemorrhoids? Its basically a pad with witch hazel. Not that I am suggesting using Tucks up top as a replacement for a liberal dousing of witch hazel in the hands and rubbing on the face. Just that as the good Dr.W said in the article pointed out by the OP, it has many purposes.

I'm bumping this thread because I used witch hazel for the first time today. I had 3 bumps from my last shave that seemed to be either acne,razor bumps, or ingrown hairs. Regardless they were raised, red, and tender so after reading up on here and other places it seemed like witch hazel was recommended. I just applied some liberally about an hour ago and seriously the bumps have either disappeared completely or at least shrunk by more than 50%!!!!!!!!! I am a true believer in this stuff now and it's staying in my shave cabinet permanently.

I use witch hazel AND aftershave also... I like the astringent before loading up my skin with a moisturizer...

Thayer's is not a/s , it's tonic..... it gently cleanses the skin and prepares for a moisturizing cream-so my wife does sometimes.
I heard some good reviews about Nevermore, Stirling, Honeybee Gardens-these a/s with witch hazel.

Last edited:
We currently have 3 bottles of Thayers, both my wife and I use it as a face wash/toner. I will sometimes toss it on after my shave depending on the rest of the set up.

A big +1 for me too! Cold water rinse, Dickinsons Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Skin AS Lotion. Maybe A/S later.

Mike

Anyone use an alum block in conjunction with WH?

Yes. Sometimes I will pat my face dry after a cold rinse for lather. Then rewet my face with Witch Hazel and the run the Alum Block over that. I don't use both very often, but I will if it was a really rough shave. For me it helps cut the razor burn even more than just using one or the other.

Anyone use an alum block in conjunction with WH?

Every day. When I'm finished shaving, I rinse off, and then apply alum block all my face and neck. I wait five minutes, and then trim my sideburns with clippers. Then I rinse off the alum with cold water, and splash on some sweet sweet Ogallala AS with Bay Rum and WH. Awesome. Just writing this makes me want shave!

Top Bottom