What's new

Does anyone prefer NOT to use a Torch Flame lighter for lighting Cigars?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm not a cigar smoker (yet) but I was wondering if anyone prefers to use a soft flame lighter to light their cigars? Since cigars have been around a lot longer than jet torches, obviously they are not an absolute requirement. My noob understanding is that you should "toast" the end of the cigar before actual lighting it, seems to me it could be done with a soft flame just as well. What say you fine gents?

Everybody is different. I've used cedar sticks, wooden matches, torches, zippos, soft flame lighters.. Whatever I could use!
Torch worked really quickly but I saw no real difference when I used the soft flame lighter.
Do what makes you happy!

I used to think that matches were all you should use. I picked up a Xikar torch style lighter and love it. No flavor from any of the lighter is put in the cigar and it makes it super easy. I tend to hold my cigar away from me and hold the flame directly on the end I am lighting, then puff with the flame still there a couple of times. Gives me an even light/burn almost 100% of the time (save for a few cigars or when I am so tired I forget to pay attention lol).

I, like Abragus have used everything under the sun to light a cigar and all of them work.

One of the big arguments for torch is that butane won't impart a taste like lighter fluid can. No matter what method you use, there is a way around that though.

I use a soft flame butane Xicar lighter for my cigars, or a zippo, or a Bic, or matches. No reason to overthink the light.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I use my Zippo lighter with butane insert and a soft flame. When the winds kick up across the Oklahoma Plains, I use my Xikar torch.

The torch is the right tool for the right job (i.e., smoking outdoors).

I have watched the videos where the gent uses 3 cigar length matches to toast and then light a cigar. That ritualistic indulgence looked wonderful; but he was indoors and able to take his time rolling the cigar over the match #1 and #2, before actually lighting it with match #3.

I am strictly outdoor and that ritual would take a box of matches to perform - whereas the torch will have the first 1/16th inch of my cigar glowing cherry red within 10 seconds.

It laughs at wind, makes efficient use of butane and has a flip-out punch in the bottom - it is just the right tool.

Whatever works, I say!

Matches, cedar spills, torch, BBQ lighter, a Zippo if you aren't in the wind, they are all good as long as they get the job done.

Now just don't get us started on proper cutting methods....

The torch is the right tool for the right job (i.e., smoking outdoors).

I have watched the videos where the gent uses 3 cigar length matches to toast and then light a cigar. That ritualistic indulgence looked wonderful; but he was indoors and able to take his time rolling the cigar over the match #1 and #2, before actually lighting it with match #3.

I am strictly outdoor and that ritual would take a box of matches to perform - whereas the torch will have the first 1/16th inch of my cigar glowing cherry red within 10 seconds.

It laughs at wind, makes efficient use of butane and has a flip-out punch in the bottom - it is just the right tool.

I agree with this. I have to smoke outdoors, and it is almost never calm enough to use a soft flame. I would prefer a soft flame, but it flutters all over the place and it is difficult to keep the flame towards the cigar where it does some good. A torch is the only way to go when smoking outdoors.

My go to is a soft flame Davidoff lighter I picked up almost 10 years ago. A torch is nice, but I travel so often that this is the way to go since it can be brought through security at airports. The lacquer and brass plating are pretty worn at this point, but the lighter itself has help up nicely.

doesn't matter how many times i take it apart and adjust it, my triple torch is like a flame thrower so lately i have been using a zippo with a single torch insert. it seems to work well.

Now just don't get us started on proper cutting methods....

Palio. There is no substitute.

As far as lighting goes, I prefer cedar spills rubbed on the thighs of virgins, but if those aren't available, a good ol' Bic lighter will do.

Personal preference. Me, I like soft flames more than torches, but I carry both and use the torch when I am outdoors (because of the wind). I keep trying to find a virgin so I can rub some cedar spills on her thighs, but they are in short supply these days... :001_rolle

Top Bottom