What's new

Hobby? Come on guy's

I had knee replacement 2 months ago and had a lot of time to read plenty of post. What kind of bothers me is people shaving with a straight or with a DE continue to call it a hobby. I thought collecting coins,stamps etc was a hobby? What we do is a lifestyle change. I mean, am I way offbase or am I right? Your thoughts please.

It is a hobby for me because I am collecting shaving soaps and creams. I have 9 razors and a bunch of different blades. Shaving helps me clear my head and get ready for the day.

Hobby. It isn't a lifestyle change. I still shave. I just do it with a different set of tools.

Collecting razors brushes soaps etc is for fun.

My two cents. I would say that for a lot of folks it becomes akin to a hobby as much as it could be. For everyone else I would call it a mindset change, not a lifestyle change. I ventured a bit into the hobby aspect, but am slowly coming round to a minimalist approach.

Lifestyle AND hobby. I love trying different soaps, blades, razors, after shaves...all hobby. But I also look at the world differently...I feel better with a good shave, and I proselytize, and shaving changes my outlook. I love going to Pasteur in Manhattan, and getting my hair cut at 5th Avenue Barbershop, and at Red's in Indianapolis...going there this week--ha, ha! This is the biggest change in my life since I began teaching Tai Chi Chuan 15 years ago. Oh, yeah, and I started a side business making razor handles...:tongue_sm

I'm not sure that a shaving method could be called a life-style change. But it sure is a great hobby. And cheaper than most (as long as you can avoid the ADs).

If you just change to wetshaving or shaving with a straight or DE, it will be a mindset change or a change in routine (still not big enough a change to be called lifestyle change). In that case, you'll just buy a razor or two, a soap or two and a brush or two.

Most of us however, end up buying and collecting a lot more stuff than we need or can use, and we also take pride in displaying and caring for them. Now that's what starts making it a hobby.

It's not a hobby, it's not a "lifestyle" (hateful word): it's shaving, which as Mario's grandfather reminds us, gentlemen do every day. It's just shaving. The site has brought together various means and methods of doing this quotidian task in the most interesting and painless manner.

Collecting, however, is a hobby. A peek over there on the shaving den thread will show the difference. I have 15 +/- rose and almond soaps and creams, but I am not collecting them. I'm trying to find the one(s) I like best.

Returning to DE wet shaving has given me back a pleasant 20 minutes a day, replacing a dull chore with a pleasurable zen-like moment.

Shaving in itself is not a hobby. However collecting and trying out different razors, brushes, soaps etc isn't really any different from collecting stamps, except that the things I collect are also useful.

+2

To quote Homer (Simposon, that is) "a little from column A, a little from column B..............."

It's not a hobby, it's not a "lifestyle" (hateful word): it's shaving, which as Mario's grandfather reminds us, gentlemen do every day. It's just shaving. The site has brought together various means and methods of doing this quotidian task in the most interesting and painless manner.

Collecting, however, is a hobby. A peek over there on the shaving den thread will show the difference. I have 15 +/- rose and almond soaps and creams, but I am not collecting them. I'm trying to find the one(s) I like best.

Returning to DE wet shaving has given me back a pleasant 20 minutes a day, replacing a dull chore with a pleasurable zen-like moment.

I think you mean Marco!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It can be both. Depends on how you look at it. For me shaving is shaving. But the hobby is collecting various razors and shaving hardware.

Call it whatever you like just as long as you enjoy your shaves.

Compare it to a guy who restores classic cars or does a lot of off-roading. Sure, (most) everyone has a car and drives, but some folks dive DEEP into the lore, do research, and spend lots of leisure time tinkering with their ride. At that point it is a hobby.

If you are posting pics of your shaving set-up on the internet, it is a hobby :p
If you are reading about OTHER PEOPLES shaving experiences on a daily basis, it is a hobby!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I started with electrics because that's what my Dad used. I used a Gillette Tech in the U.S. Army in 1960. Lifestyle change? You make the call. Sharing experiences with fellow members on B&B makes it a hobby.

Top Bottom