What's new

Uneven blade gap. Is this fixable?

I purchased a slim adjustable this weekend and after I THOROUGHLY cleaned and sanitized it I gave it a test run this morning.

In my inexperience I did not check for evenness in the blade gap. I only checked blade security and operability of the doors and riser while blade less. I made 2 very uncomfortable passes and really chewed my face up before I noticed that one side had virtually no gap while the other looked like it was on 9.

Is is this fixable or should I toss it?

I have a similar problem with a Black Beauty I bought this weekend for $5 at a local flea market. I'll have pics up (and a fresh post) in the next couple days so I may take advantage of the wisdom of the B&B sages.

I've owned about 10+ adjustable Gillette's, Fat Boys, Slims, Black Beauties. There's not been a single one of them that I haven't had to tweak here and there to get the blade gap even. Front to back side to side, all of them have had issues. That's why I got rid of them. All except for a Fat Boy that was near perfect when I got it.

Very Frustrating.

Last edited:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 128
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 126
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 126
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 130
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 128
Yeah, it definitely looks like it got dropped on it's head. I've seen this with a lot of Fatboy I've fixed. What was the adjustment set on when you took these photos?

The 2nd to last photo shows the right hand side flap has supports bulging outwards. Compare them to the left which are flat. So this may be why that side is lower?

Quite a delicate job to straighten these.

Good luck with this task. I spend a good amount of cash on a near mint Slim just to find the horror that it has an uneven blade gap. Set on 1, one edge had good blade alignment, the opposite edge was as if it was set on 3. I have tried to fix it with a screwdriver with a technique I have seen posted here. Now my Slim is a bit better but now both sides have an equal slant type of uneven blade gap. With this bad experience I lost complete interest in all types of Gillette adjustable models. I hope it works out better for you.

The 2nd to last photo shows the right hand side flap has supports bulging outwards. Compare them to the left which are flat. So this may be why that side is lower?

Quite a delicate job to straighten these.

Yeah, it definitely looks like it got dropped on it's head. I've seen this with a lot of Fatboy I've fixed. What was the adjustment set on when you took these photos?
It was set on 6

It was set on 6
Then I'm guessing that the side with the larger gap is where it needs to be, set on six. You just need to bend the lower side up. This is a very delicate fix indeed. The door assembly rod has thin rivets holding it on. If you tweak it too hard, it could break.

Refer to the picture below. It's a Fatboy but the same principle applies. Use your hands and not tools to try and tweak it. Hope this helps!

View attachment 478863

Last edited:
Top Bottom