What's new

Did I really need another razor? Vikings Blade Meiji.

Today's test drive. After looking at the blade gap on 6 compared to my Slim set on 7 I decided it looked like it would eat my face so I backed it down to 2. Grabbed the lather bowl and squirted a little Coate's Lavender on top of the RR Stallion remnants that was still in the bowl. Coate's is one of the slickest soaps I have and thought it would be best for the first shave on this razor. With it set on 2 the first stroke I could actually feel a lot more blade than my Slim on 7, glad I turned it down, finished my WTG pass and no blood, excellent. Lather up for my second pass, ATG on cheeks as they only get two passes and my usual XTG on neck, chin and jaw line, another good pass. Third and final ATG pass on next and chin and finished with a DFS. I did struggle bit on the chin since it seems like I can really feel the blade. The razor has a nice heft to it that I like although it seems heavier than the Fatboy. Between the smooth or the scalloped safety bar I can't say I like one over the other, the difference seemed so similar and maybe the scalloped in a way seemed a touch more aggressive. If I grabbed it and just shaved without looking at what side I shaved with I probably couldn't tell.

Other than the awkward way to load the blade this is a nice razor. I did move it up to #3 for the next shave in couple days. As aggressive as it feels on 2 I don't know if I dare to max it out. I really didn't need another razor and hate that it looked so nice that I had to buy it, really no regrets though as it shaves quite nice. Had I not already have found my favorite in my Slim or even the Fatboy this would certainly be my top razor.
Your experience pretty much mirrors mine, although I don't have a Slim or Fatboy to compare it with ... yet.
As I mentioned, this is my most aggressive razor. I just keep it dialed back and it works for me. I even dial it up sometimes for my trouble spot along my jaw line and it works. I really like the razor and think it's a steal for the price.
Btw, I did find some of the literature that came with mine and I'll post it here. I may have been mistaken about some of the instructions. If I was, I apologize!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Your experience pretty much mirrors mine, although I don't have a Slim or Fatboy to compare it with ... yet.
As I mentioned, this is my most aggressive razor. I just keep it dialed back and it works for me. I even dial it up sometimes for my trouble spot along my jaw line and it works. I really like the razor and think it's a steal for the price.
Btw, I did find some of the literature that came with mine and I'll post it here. I may have been mistaken about some of the instructions. If I was, I apologize!

proxy.php

proxy.php

No need to apologize, I just thought it was odd that when the door are in different positions when set to 1 versus Max. It says nothing about how to load a blade. The blade fits tight over the post holding the center bar so I have to push the blade down or the blade jams in one of the doors, I would assume you noticed the same thing, unless it is my Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp blade that does it, will try Wilkinson Sword Classic and Feather another time. The part that says to adjust razor when head is closed I can see but it seems like I can't have it completely tight it seems to be resistance when adjusting, similar to the Slim and Fatboy, those need to be open or ajar. To compare this to my Slim or Fatboy I would say setting 2 that I used this morning would be 8 or even 9(max aggressiveness) on my Slim. I saw on their website the razor is usually $60 and think that is what I saw before on Amazon which was probably why I didn't buy it, the price now is $46.97 so I grabbed it.

No need to apologize, I just thought it was odd that when the door are in different positions when set to 1 versus Max. It says nothing about how to load a blade. The blade fits tight over the post holding the center bar so I have to push the blade down or the blade jams in one of the doors, I would assume you noticed the same thing, unless it is my Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp blade that does it, will try Wilkinson Sword Classic and Feather another time. The part that says to adjust razor when head is closed I can see but it seems like I can't have it completely tight it seems to be resistance when adjusting, similar to the Slim and Fatboy, those need to be open or ajar. To compare this to my Slim or Fatboy I would say setting 2 that I used this morning would be 8 or even 9(max aggressiveness) on my Slim. I saw on their website the razor is usually $60 and think that is what I saw before on Amazon which was probably why I didn't buy it, the price now is $46.97 so I grabbed it.
Yep, that's what I paid too. And for that price, I think it's a steal. Mine is holding up well too. (I always rinse and blow dry my razors. I'm sort of anal that way!)
I did have one blade that absolutely would not fit no matter how I wrestled with it. It was a Wizamet Iridium. I eventually gave up and stuck something else in and it closed right up. The razor is a mystery to me. But at the end of the day (well, technically early in the morning) I do like it. I've got it scheduled for tomorrow morning. :thumbsup:
I really hope you like it. It does have its quirks and it's not for everyone. I probably wouldn't want it to be my everyday razor. But I genuinely like it and always look forward to seeing what it has in store for me. :laugh:

Hope the razor works out!

(And to answer your question, I seriously doubt that anyone on B&B needs another razor!! :sob::sob::sob:)

Had a nice shave with it this morning. Considerably more aggressive even on such a low setting but I like it.

That last part made me chuckle. But I do ask myself why another one!

I posted my Meiji experience today on another thread.

I have a misaligned baseplate on the scalloped side, and trying the reset instructions have made it worse, not better. The doors issue and loading a blade is also something I've experienced.

It's a fine looking razor, and I enjoyed using it to begin with (it was my first adjustable), but the issues and nicks I've been getting, I've decided enough is enough. My Slim and Fatboys work flawlessly and give me great shaves, so I see no sense persevering with a flawed product.

Looks aren't everything! And honestly, if a company has to provide a set of guidance notes on how to reset a misaligned head, rather than fixing the issue with the product, it's not a good sign.

I was looking at this razor on Amazon's site and came across their legal disclaimer. Do you guys, as users, understand what they are talking about?

Legal Disclaimer​

The razor doors have 2 symmetrical burrs on the corners which will push the blade edges down, making the blade slightly curvy. NOT a defect. This is part of the Meiji's 2020 mold and has passed all QC standards. Despite the burring effect, razors made from this mold repeatedly give an excellent smooth shave and this has been confirmed by all our genuine beta testers.

Legal Disclaimer​

The razor doors have 2 symmetrical burrs on the corners which will push the blade edges down, making the blade slightly curvy. NOT a defect. This is part of the Meiji's 2020 mold and has passed all QC standards. Despite the burring effect, razors made from this mold repeatedly give an excellent smooth shave and this has been confirmed by all our genuine beta testers.
Yeah, blame the customer is always the right way to run a business. I mean the "genuine beta testers" didn't have any trouble, what's yer problem! More like they can't afford to throw out their defective moulds and stay in business so they are now in the business of deception. It is ironic justice that the very plant that makes their razors shamelessly copied them so thoroughly that they had to go on a propaganda blitz to convince customers that their razors aren't relabelled existing models, but the ones being copied! #salty

I have a misaligned baseplate on the scalloped side, and trying the reset instructions have made it worse, not better. The doors issue and loading a blade is also something I've experienced.

It's a fine looking razor, and I enjoyed using it to begin with (it was my first adjustable), but the issues and nicks I've been getting, I've decided enough is enough. My Slim and Fatboys work flawlessly and give me great shaves, so I see no sense persevering with a flawed product.

Looks aren't everything! And honestly, if a company has to provide a set of guidance notes on how to reset a misaligned head, rather than fixing the issue with the product, it's not a good sign.

At first when I took mine out of the box and messed with the adjustment it did the lopsided thing. I just opened the doors slightly and moved the adjustment know back and forth and the plate leveled out. Mine was on both sides though, not just one side.

I looked at these before but didn't need another razor but when it popped up on Amazon I said why not. I guess it got me by the looks more than anything. It looks great and I did get a nice shave with it but it is certainly as aggressive a touch more aggressive set on 2 than my Slim on 7.

My thoughts are similar on the fixing the issues such as the burr that is mentioned in the disclaimer about the doors and this loading/opening issue with settings. To me if they are going to knockoff a Fatboy why not just copy it completely and get it over with. I would think there would be an issue with Patent rights because don't they expire after so many years?

I was looking at this razor on Amazon's site and came across their legal disclaimer. Do you guys, as users, understand what they are talking about?

Legal Disclaimer​

Either the mold was repaired or it is worn enough that the blade it now level on mine, no frown. I really can't believe that a blade that is curved would actually give a smooth shave. To me if the edges are lower or pushed down with a higher blade in the center then the center would be overly aggressive compared to the edges.

Either the mold was repaired or it is worn enough that the blade it now level on mine, no frown. I really can't believe that a blade that is curved would actually give a smooth shave. To me if the edges are lower or pushed down with a higher blade in the center then the center would be overly aggressive compared to the edges.
I believe I read they changed the design and got rid of the burrs due to so many complaints.

It's hard to explain, but it is actually the corners that are the hazard. It is the same as on some torsional slant razors where the lower gap corner has the least bend, it's sticking straight out more. I think with this one it's the unpredictability because every time it got me, I wasn't doing anything silly and it would catch on some skin and dig in!

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I also always think that VIKINGS BLADE looks good, especially appreciate its strong appearance.

The invention of the TTO structure is to facilitate the loading of blades in order to promote the sales of blades.
If a razor's TTO construction actually makes loading the blade frustrating for consumers, that's putting the cart before the horse.

I bought one of these a few months ago.
Great looking razor with a nice heft.
SEEMS well built.

Sounds like Ranyart Finn and I have had similar experiences.
Completely misaligned no matter how many times I "reset" it.
The "reset" video on Youtube is actually for another model from the same company.
You have to get on forums to find out the "correct" way to load it.
Even when I load it correctly, and then put in on setting 3, it goes right back out of alignment.
I contacted customer service and you know what they said?
I don't know either because they never replied.
Even if I figure out how to actually make the thing work correctly, why bother?
My 60 year old Slim adjusts and shaves beautifully.
I just wanted some sort of new adjustable backup in case my vintage busted.
Now I just have a pretty piece of junk.

Since my last post I have had 3 more shaves with it and I am starting to like it quite nicely. I did 2 days growth on setting 3, 4 days growth on setting 5 and yesterday was 3 days growth on setting 5. Absolutely no weepers, had no issues cutting through the longer growth. One thing that seems to happen with a new razor I am starting to use is nicks, but I can say even on 5 so far I have not had a weeper. It has considerable blade feel on 5, I could not imagine what it would fell like on max, might get daring and turn it up some more on the next shave to to try it before it goes on the shelf and I get back to my Slim, it's getting lonely and jealous.

Top Bottom