What's new

Non-offensive after shaves

Speick splash. I costs a little more than a product like Clubman, but the scent and skin care is outstanding.

The Pinaud Lime Sec scent matures as time passes on. After a few minutes it starts to change from strong lime to something very sophisticated - that's the only way I can describe it. Check out a few reviews on Amazon. Those guys can explain better than me what the fragrance is like.

It really is a good splash to have in the stash.

Also, I use it as a cologne, not an aftershave.

Last edited:
Don't judge Pinaud Clubman with the scent out of the bottle. It dries to a nice, powdery scent after a few minutes.

I do like a little more moisturizing in my splash though, so I add about 1 drop of glycerin per ounce and it works wonderfully. Pretty much the same level of moisturizer as Aqua Velva (another one of my favs)!

That would be like judging the Veg scent right out of the bottle...not the same as on the skin

Another vote for Speick - not only is the scent non-offensive but the lotion (lotion is just a name, it's a liquid splash) is soothing and healing.

My favorite aftershave is proraso green, but it is too strong to wear to work. nothing takes the razor burn out like it though

Hmmm proraso green never lasts more than a hour or so on me so im suprised you say you cant wear it to work.

Regarding other options Aqua Velva Ice Sport is cheap with a modern scent. Or as another poster said Barbasol Pacific Rush works too,

Lastly Nivea Energy Splash is modern aquatic scent which is very cheap.

While I was at tramlaW last night (picking up some other items) I bought a bottle of Aqua Velva.

I put some on after shaving this morning and my girlfriend just about gagged. After about a 10 minute dry down it settled down to the scent I remembered, but still with no approval.

Basically not the worst, but not good. I like the smell, but I'm easy to please. As long as it isn't fru-fru or smells like stetson's bottled cat pee I like it.

I love the cooling and the feel of AV, but I think its "alcohol-y urinal cake in a neighborhood dive bar" smell is what the other half doesn't like. She did say "at least it doesn't smell like ****". Those are her exact words.

My next stop is the neighborhood Walgreen's, who's had a lonely bottle of regular Clubman on their shelf which, if it's still there, will be coming home with me during my lunch break.

My new acquisitions:

$uploadfromtaptalk1406739529780.jpg
Dollar tree I'm guessing "skin bracer" knockoff. Smells just like my grandpa.

$uploadfromtaptalk1406739538008.jpg
The object of everyone's affection: original Clubman.

Both seem to smell alright. I like the Clubman a little more, and the Skin Bracer knockoff reminds me of my grandpa, but the real test is whether the lady approves.

I put a little of one on one arm and a little of the other on the other. So far I'd say they're a lot better than I remember my dad's AV or Brut smelling like.

Again the real test is my girlfriend's sniffer.

Go to www.saintcharlesshave.com and pick a fragrance that appeals to you. Wendy makes amazing splashes that I just love. My personal favorite is the Bulgarian Rose and lemon, which smells just divine. My wife really likes it, too. It's not frou-frou at all, and is heavy on the lemon side of the equation, but suit yourself.

All their aftershaves are really, really nice. Head and shoulders better than any of those cheap drugstore aftershaves, IMO.

The Classics:
-Skin bracer. Cooling menthol but has a warm vanilla back note to it. Its a light scent after it dies down a bit. Very good to the face.
-Clubman - I see you got it. It does need some glycerin added, but its a nice scent, can be very strong at first.
-Old Spice... I like the current scent. Its GREAT on the skin!
-Bay Rum. Captain's choice is good. Expensive, but a little goes a long way, and its a mild scent that doesn't last overly long.
-AV musk if you can stand it. I've tried it once and it bothered me, but maybe I need to try it again.

If one of these doesn't suit your lady... find a new lady. Old spice and Skin bracer are my most used. I even got the spray old spice cologne for days I don't shave, and the deodorant (just deodorant). I need to break out the Clubman someday...its a good one.

Well first off, it's going to take some experimentation. Most of the time, you're going to perceive a scent differently than the rest of us and your gf might perceive it differently from you. So best bet is to try an assortment of things for a couple of days in a row and see what sticks and then sell the rest on the BST here. I would suggest:

Floid Blue
the assortment of Fine Aftershaves. I love the Clean Vetiver, but I just got the Platinum and the L'Orange Noir today.
Musgo Real AS has great face feel though I'm not sure about the scent. Maybe a bit more polarizing
There are some very good Bay Rums. In my case, my wife loves the smell of them (I've got some Kramperts), but I always feel like a Thanksgiving ham when I wear it because of the cloves.
Though expensive, Floris Santal AS is a SPECTACULAR scent as are Czech & Speakes. At a 130 bucks for a bottle of C&S aftershave, though, even I haven't been able to pull the trigger, but then I'm a married man and have no real need for the heavy artillery. I've already won (or lost, depending on your perspective) the war.

You can also go with plain witch hazel and then use a frag. Opens up lots of options.

I do want to find a good bay rum, but I feel like that would be opening a whole 'nother can of worms.
Any of the ones from Captain's Choice. They smell amazing and subtle, and they leave your skin feeling oh so good.

Also, given what you want I still think you'll have luck with the drugstore classics of Old Spice, Aqua Velva, and Pinaud Clubman.

I've been doing the same thing you're doing for a long time now...I have amassed a collection of "classics" that I can basically only wear while the girlfriend is out of town and I don't plan on going anywhere other than maybe doing farm or mechanic work out at my father's place. Most of which I've given away. Your girlfriend most likely isn't going to approve of ANY of the "classics". Aqua Velva is my favorite classic, but I can't wear it. The woman hates it. The only "classic" scent she's ever liked strangely enough was Tabac, but it was "okay".

That being said, there are some that are more young that you may be able to find locally. Check out some Adidas Dynamic Pulse, Brut Attitude or maybe Gillette Cool Wave (WalMart and Dollar General) and see what you think. You can open them and give them the sniff test in the store. Another one I liked (don't hang me for this) was Axe Anarchy for him aftershave splash which can be found locally sometimes, otherwise check on Amazon. Also, Walgreens should carry the new Nivea aftershave splash which is very light and inoffensive. If you can find it Old Spice OS Signature is another younger scent that younger women seem to like, but I think it was discontinued so it may be hard to find. I found mine at a local grocery store.

Another solution to the issue at hand, is you COULD just pick up some Thayer's unscented witch hazel and use it as your aftershave and then just spray on your favorite cologne as you normally would for scent. Win-win.

Last edited:
quality non-offensive aftershave.....try L'Occitane Cade or Myrsol Agua balsamica. If your budget allows, consider Guerlain Vetiver.

I'm sorry...but Speik/Pinaud/AV/old spice all scream "bowling alley". And Bay Rum = Pop-Pop

OK...hit me.....

Top Bottom