What's new

Non-offensive after shaves

I've been looking for some after shave (liquid) to replace the ones I currently have that are running low.

One of the favorites I have right now is Kenneth Cole signature. It's running low and will be gone in about a month if I keep using it like I am. I can't seem to find it anymore either. I don't know if it's discontinued or what, but I can't find it.

One of my other issues is that my gf isn't the pickiest about scent, but being a younger guy, I don't want to slap on the Brut. I found a mini bottle of English leather cologne I had (from over a decade ago) and put a little on. I didn't exactly get any nods of approval from the other half. I haven't had any of the EL aftershave in over a decade so I'm not positive whether that scent would be just as "offensive" as the cologne or not.

I don't know if you're familiar or would know of something similar, but the scents that have unanimously always gotten approval are Armani Code, Kenneth Cole Signature, and I recently got some Avon Mesmerize. I like the scent of all of those, but hey, I used to really enjoy smelling like English Leather too. It's just that the ladies don't seem to approve of somebody my age smelling so geriatric.

Price and size are also an issue. Back when I was shaving every other day (and usually with an electric razor) a light splash of $40 aftershave or a dab of balm was sufficient, but now I'm burning through my stock a lot quicker than ever before. I'd like to stay away from balms too. My face is oily enough as is and nothing is as refreshing after daily DE shaving as a palmful of alcohol to the face.

Any suggestions?

TOBS makes some pretty light ones. My taylor is the one i have. They have a mild scent. They work well also. I know what you mean by the strong smell. My favorite aftershave is proraso green, but it is too strong to wear to work. nothing takes the razor burn out like it though

It sounds like a "young" guy. So, I will take this opportunity now that he asked to influence him with the classics:

Old Spice
Aqua Velva
Clubman
Bay Rum (any)

I'm a young guy as well, and I really like pinaud clubman, Calvin Klein's Euphoria is also a nice "non-aggressive" scent. I've never had an issue using either around my girlfriend...just my 2 cents.

If you wish to have something fresh, liquid but feeling like a balm try Kyovu from Barrister and Mann

I've never had clubman on me, but I've opened it up and taken a big whiff on multiple occasions and just about got the wind knocked out of me. Maybe it smells different on skin (and once it airs out). I'm assuming you're talking about the original clubman.

Aqua Velva is another that I absolutely love the smell and feel of, but have never gotten any positive reviews from the ladies over. I suppose they're all worth another go, especially for the price.

No Brut though. I'm not willing to give that another go. My dad gave me a bottle of that when I started shaving and I don't think my nose hairs have recovered yet. That being said I haven't smelled anyone wearing Brut in a LONG time.

I'm 28 by the way.

I'm a young guy as well, and I really like pinaud clubman, Calvin Klein's Euphoria is also a nice "non-aggressive" scent. I've never had an issue using either around my girlfriend...just my 2 cents.
My body chemistry works great with more subtle scents. Calvin Klein has yet to make a scent that doesn't make me radiate wafts of fru-fru fruitiness laced with tons of alcohol.

Don't judge Pinaud Clubman with the scent out of the bottle. It dries to a nice, powdery scent after a few minutes.

I do like a little more moisturizing in my splash though, so I add about 1 drop of glycerin per ounce and it works wonderfully. Pretty much the same level of moisturizer as Aqua Velva (another one of my favs)!

My body chemistry works great with more subtle scents. Calvin Klein has yet to make a scent that doesn't make me radiate wafts of fru-fru fruitiness laced with tons of alcohol.

Some ladies must dig the fru-fru, my wife's scent of choice for me is CK's Obsession. It is an oldie, but when we go out she insists that I wear it. We've been married 17 years, it must remind her of our younger days when I was good-looking. ... and had lots of hair (only on my head). ... and was thin. ... and this list goes on and on.

I've never had clubman on me, but I've opened it up and taken a big whiff on multiple occasions and just about got the wind knocked out of me. Maybe it smells different on skin (and once it airs out). I'm assuming you're talking about the original clubman.

Aqua Velva is another that I absolutely love the smell and feel of, but have never gotten any positive reviews from the ladies over. I suppose they're all worth another go, especially for the price.

No Brut though. I'm not willing to give that another go. My dad gave me a bottle of that when I started shaving and I don't think my nose hairs have recovered yet. That being said I haven't smelled anyone wearing Brut in a LONG time.

I'm 28 by the way.

I was using Aqua Velva in my teens because I worked in the men's locker room of a country club and it was free. I used to get some great compliments from it. I suggest picking up some Aqua Velva Ived Sport. It has a modern, yet unoffensive scent. It's not readily available in all states, it seems, but if you find it, get it. I'm 42 years old now and still use it.

Check out some Pinaud Lime Sec. You probably need to order it online, but it's worth it.

The smell lasts for about five hours and changes as time goes on.

I also agree with the Aqua Velva and Clubman. Or you could just buy every Clubman splash - you'll find one you like.

Ok, you like Aqua Velva but she doesn't and you're looking for something inoffensive. You might want to get over to your closest dollar store and pick up a bottle of Barbasol Pacific Rush (the blue stuff). It costs around $1.75 a bottle and has a menthol chill similar to AV.

I am not crazy about the scent, it's OK, but it doesn't really matter since the fragrance doesn't linger very long at all. That way you can use any of the colognes you know you like without having them "fight" with your after shave. If you don't like it you haven't exactly broken the bank.

I also like all of the Captain's Choice after shaves for the same reason. They perform well (and smell great) but the scent doesn't linger. They are a little more costly at around $17 a bottle but are well worth it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom