What's new

What a difference a blade makes

First shave with ASTRA SP this morning. I got a pack of 30 for 5 dollars...so I was hoping these would work out.

I definitely like these better than my Derby blades, but I think my technique is also improving. I found that if I'm going to get a close shave I have to go ATG. That was true even with a cartridge.

Very happy to report a BBS shave on my first go round with no cuts or irritation. Hell, my lather wasn't even that great.
I definitely took my time with the shave, giving extra time just to the neck and jaw line. To my surprise, even an ATG on the jaw line and chin didn't produce so much as a capillary of blood loss. If I can just speed up the process I will be good to go!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Try the Derby blades in 6 months and see how you like them... The razor that you use will also influence a blade quite a bit.

It sounds to me more like your technique is improving, which is much better news that finding a blade you prefer. The Astra is sharper and will tug less but with good technique you can still get a good shave with both.

You're doing well, keep it up.

Always hold on to the blades you've sampled and decided weren't for you. Put them aside and after a year or so, when your technique is solid, try them again. You often find some that were pretty good after all.

Try the Derby blades in 6 months and see how you like them... /QUOTE]

That happened to me. I went the "new shavers should start with a sample pack" method. I found that each blade brand I tried was amazingly better than the previous brand tried. I even went so far as to rank each brand, shun the lesser-rated brands, and and settle on the "best blade". About a year later I found that all of the blades seemed to improve in quality by sitting in the drawer. Kind of like wine I guess.

Yep, I learned that it is 90% technique. I can even use Derbys now! But Astra SP is a very good blade and one of my go-to blades.

Congratulations on your wonderful shave. It's a thing of beauty. The satisfying end to a morning ritual. Shave On!

Top Bottom