What's new

Anyone try the Standard Razor?

Has anyone tried the Standard Razor? It looks interesting. How's the aggressiveness? I got a Weber a year or so ago and sold it after just two shaves. I found it too aggressive for me. The 34C is about as aggressive a razor as my face will handle. What are your thoughts on the Standard Razor gents?

I am curious, too. 70 bucks for an unknown, aluminum razor seems steep, unless it is something real special.

Very nice straight forward razor and not any more aggressive than the EJ89 though I think more efficient. I have the silver one. It is easy to hold the handle even when everything wet. I would recommend this razor very highly. Probably priced a touch high but not by much. Only drawback is that the handle holds the tightening screw and it is easy to cross thread with the head if you are not real careful. But that said, interesting razor design and a very nice modern approach to the razor.

It's the non-standard head attachment that puts me off. I think an aluminium razor may be lighter than I'd like, but I'd have a punt if I could fit a stainless handle.

I have tried the black Standard Razors model and found it to be very smooth, like the Feather ASD2, but yet more efficient. I have decided that it isn't quite aggressive enough for me and will be moving it along, but I will be keeping my EJ89 if that is of any assistance.

I have a black model.
It is a less aggressive than the Weber, but just as efficient.
I fine it very mild and it gives a great shave .. with zero harshness.

The handle threaded post screws into the head. BUT (and it is a big but) the threaded post will unscrew from the handle.
With it installed in the razor head, you have the standard thread for using any modern DE handle.
I have played with all my handles .. ATT, Weber, Ikon, etc.
They all fit .. but my preference is the original Standard aluminum handle.
The whole is a very nicely balanced, secure and safe shave.
I would replace it tomorrow if anything happened to mine.

Highly recommend you try it.

Hmm, that's interesting! Normally the weight wouldn't have given me pause, but I've been using SS razors pretty heavily and have gotten used to the heft.

There's a seller in the UK who's awaiting stock from LA, I might have to watch for them arriving...

I have used mine every day since acquiring. I use "The Black". Just a great shaver, the weight is a non issue as you take much more control with it and can get some better angles. Very forgiving depending on the blade used but will still let you know when a blade is just not the right fit for your face (just had a stint of 5 triple pass shaves with Lord SS!). I did the Bespoke membership and recieved razor and goodies for $45 shipped. Hell of a deal. SWMBO thinks it is quite nice also (the first time she has ever thought that!). HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

On the scale of 1 to 10 ... would anyone care to offer a ballpark estimate on the Standard Razor? I need to have an idea of what razors I should poll against it...

From what I've read, is it more like an EJ89 (3.0) or a Merkur standard bar (34C, etc) (3.5) or a Weber (currently at 4.0)?

Thanks!
Shawn

For the "Country of Origin" in the Buyer's Guide and Aggressiveness Chart in the Wiki, does anyone know where the Standard Razors are manufactured? I know the selling company's office is in L.A. but that might not be where it is made?

Jose from Standard Razors was kind enough to answer by email. The Standard Razors are currently manufactured in Shenzhen, but he also says that might be changing soon....

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:
I bought one when there was a deal on Bespoke. I thought the all black was just really cool looking. I agree with others here that it's milder than a Weber. It's relatively efficient for a mild razor though which I like. I thought the smooth handle might be slippery as I have an EJ89 unlined, but unlike that razor there's no slip. I thought it might be too light as I tend to prefer longer heavier handles, but the balance seemed just fine. I don't know that it's worth $70, but I was able to snag that Bespoke box for around $50 and that included some decent shaving cream and a few other things.

If you join Bespoke today, you can get the Standard black Razor and all the goodies for 30% off. You have to use the code "FIRST" at checkout. That brings it down to $31.50. Not a bad deal.

Some photos:
$100_1207.jpg$100_1209.jpg$100_1210.jpg$100_1208.jpg$100_1214.jpg

Top Bottom