What's new

My Search for First Straight Begins. Please Help or Provide Straight Jacket!

I can see how one could succumb to some serious RAD looking at these beautiful things. So, first, what I'm looking for. Something that is a great shaver, exhibits high quality in function and appearance. One that I can pass on to my future generations. Dovo is out. It just is. No set budget but to balance value, I'll top it at $375.

Could you recommend reputable retailers that specialize in the straight razor for either new or vintage?
How about antique stores. Do they yield anything more frequently than *bay?
Thiers Issard comes to mind, but what model? Any other current manufacturers?
What vintage razor would you own, if you could find it? (I'm compiling a list to refer to in the collectible store travels).

I hope you can come to the rescue before I fall too far into the vortex of razor dementia. Thanks.

You can always check out the BST/Hobbyiest/Vendor areas, lots of nice razors there.

For me Filarmonica's shave me the best, I like the thin grind.

TI's are very nice razors.

I would stay away form ebay unless you have some experience with razors and knowing what to look for.

I would look at the hobbyists here. Aside from my first antique Store find I purchased my first 4 razors from hobbyists here. You know you're getting something which is generally actually shave ready. I'd look at noahpictures, and Doc226 has some available. I prefer American steel, specifically Shumate. All of my current blades are this brand. Though I've never shaved with a Filarmonica. It's on my wish list.

wade and butcher, ja henkels, Fredrick Reynolds, joseph rogers, joseph Elliot all made excellent razors. I have several wades and they are my favorite. you wont go wrong if you get any of the ones I listed as long as the blades are good.if you want a new one I don't know where to start other than maybe boker, I have a couple of vintage bokers and they shave well I like wedges the big ones.

I bought a Henckels from Noah back in the spring, and it hasn't seen anything but a strop since. The man flat out puts an edge on a razor.

If you want to spend that kind of money there are a few ways to look at the budget...

1) Go BIG! Purchase a new "Hart Steel Straight Razor"... You will have it for LIFE! I like to think of them as the new razor that will be vintage and desirable in time. Maggard Razors sells them and you can see a YouTube review of them from SmallFlower.

2) Go Smart! Stretch your budget a bit, for the numbers that you are talking about you could get a whole setup my man.
-Razor
-Razor Stand
-Strop
-Lapping Stone
-Honing Stone 12k grit
-Etc

Dude, RAD is going to kick in... This is the best hobby in the world and you get to show off your face-skills everyday! ENJOY!!!!!

Thanks everyone. I'll be cruising the BST regularly. If anything else comes to mind, please continue to advise.

You have a more than adequate budget to go any direction you want. Beautifully restored vintage with several lifetimes worth of use left in it. Look in the restoration forum and check out some of the craftsmanship on display. Brand new?
Hart
Wacker
Ralf Aust
TI
All have a good reputation for quality. I am a big fan of Hart, but others do not like the utilitarian looks.

I had a similar conundrum from the missus "only one" without any budget ceiling.

I picked the Hart 6/8
It's a very nice razor that should last for generations and I happily recommend it.

I looked at the posts regarding Ralf Aust and they seem positive so I may consider one also. I'm also checking the SR vendors here as well as Bob's. Prices appear consistent within +/- $30 for comparable items. Couple questions:
Is there a North America seller that carries a good stock of TI.
I see a few Dubl Ducks around in very fine grade. What size or model would be worthy of consideration? Prices range $200-270

Why not go low cost to start. A a Sight Unseen deal from whipped dog or something modest from the BST. Learn how to use it and to take care of it. Make your mistakes first, then get your heirloom.

Scott

Rest assured, I would get my stropping and honing skills on an inexpensive razor and retain a professional for the irreplaceable. And even if I decide SR shaving is not for me ultimately, an heirloom quality straight will be a satisfying part of my collection. That being said, I still welcome all comments because perceptions can change.

NotNick I like your thinking. Straight razors are beautiful tools to admire and pass on to the next generation. I started off with a shave ready Gold Razor razor purchased for buca. Now I own two Dovo's and three Boker's. Maybe someday a filly. Good Luck with your endeavor.

My first razor was a TI and my second a Hart. I had been DE shaving for years and knew this was something I was going to do. Sometimes you just know.

Top Bottom