What's new

bread pudding recipe needed

hello all !

I was wondering if you guys could share a simple but good bread pudding recipe and accompanying sauce ??

thanks for helping a new guy out I have been a long time lurker and enjoy the culinary talent and skill on this board !

D

dwLost

My wife and I have made this recipe a few times and really like that it is simple to make and tastes fantastic. For what it it worth I think we downloaded it from someplace a while back but found it was a keeper. Good Luck!

INGREDIENTS
Bourbon Sauce:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup Kentucky bourbon whiskey
Bread Pudding:
1 loaf French bread, at least a day old, cut into 1-inch squares (about 6-7 cups)
1 qt milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla
1 cup raisins (soaked overnight in 1/4 cup bourbon)
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
METHOD
Bourbon Sauce:
In a saucepan, melt butter; add sugar and egg, whisking to blend well. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. (Do not allow to simmer, or it may curdle.) Whisk in bourbon to taste. Remove from heat. Whisk before serving. The sauce should be soft, creamy, and smooth.
Bread Pudding:
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 Soak the bread in milk in a large mixing bowl. Press with hands until well mixed and all the milk is absorbed. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, and spices together. Gently stir into the bread mixture. Gently stir the raisins into the mixture.
3 Pour butter into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Coat the bottom and the sides of the pan well with the butter. Pour in the bread mix and bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes, until set. The pudding is done when the edges start getting a bit brown and pull away from the edge of the pan. Can also make in individual ramekins.

My wife and I have made this recipe a few times and really like that it is simple to make and tastes fantastic. For what it it worth I think we downloaded it from someplace a while back but found it was a keeper. Good Luck!

INGREDIENTS
Bourbon Sauce:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup Kentucky bourbon whiskey
Bread Pudding:
1 loaf French bread, at least a day old, cut into 1-inch squares (about 6-7 cups)
1 qt milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla
1 cup raisins (soaked overnight in 1/4 cup bourbon)
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
METHOD
Bourbon Sauce:
In a saucepan, melt butter; add sugar and egg, whisking to blend well. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. (Do not allow to simmer, or it may curdle.) Whisk in bourbon to taste. Remove from heat. Whisk before serving. The sauce should be soft, creamy, and smooth.
Bread Pudding:
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 Soak the bread in milk in a large mixing bowl. Press with hands until well mixed and all the milk is absorbed. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, and spices together. Gently stir into the bread mixture. Gently stir the raisins into the mixture.
3 Pour butter into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Coat the bottom and the sides of the pan well with the butter. Pour in the bread mix and bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes, until set. The pudding is done when the edges start getting a bit brown and pull away from the edge of the pan. Can also make in individual ramekins.

wow that sounds good and easy !!!

question do you have to use bourbon , or could you use either brandy or maybe some thing like grand marnier or contreu ???

gonna have to try this soon that's for sure !!!!

sorry one.more question .

Are you using just plain white sugar ,or are you using something like raw sugar or one of the other less processed sugars?

D

dwLost

Don't know until you try it. SWIMBO and I are doing lunch. She said plane sugar is what we use and she doesn't like brandy. Then she says bourbon has that distinctive flavor she likes but try the Grand Mariner let us know☆

These recipes are much the same as I was taught by my mother in Wales many years ago, apart from soaking the fuit in booze first! Must try that.

Personally, I prefer the pudding cold, clammy and sliced into heavy lumps! No sauce near my puddings! Solid comfort food.

I also think it is the best use for nasty white sliced bread, apart from the famous chip butty!

Gareth

I think there are different kinds or styles of bread pudding that are traditional in various countries' cooking/types of cuisine.

New Orleans Creole cooking is famous for its style, which I think almost has to have a bourbon sauce and be served warm.

The British version traditionally, I think, is more room temperature without adornment.

Various US steakhouse versions seem to have caramel or other warm sauces.

Bread and butter pudding is a gift from God. One of our old home favourites. Of all the things you can do to make it better, let the custard soak the bread thoroughly. I mean a good two hours or so. Cover it with cling wrap and leave it alone other than to poke the bread down in the custard every so often. I leave the dish sitting on the counter top but others fear raw eggs not being kept ultra cold. I figure cooking at 325F(Gas mark 3) for thirty or forty minutes will more than pasteurise and kill any possible bacterium. Other than that I can only say keep it simple. Puddings like this do not want to be fussed with. Butter the bread pieces, make a rich custard with some cream or half and half and plenty of eggs. I like to sprinkle cinnamon on the buttered pieces before I pour the custard over it. Then sprinkle a lot of nutmeg on the top. While it is good warm I like it settled down and cooled but not ice box cold. Enjoy it.

Top Bottom