What's new

Quest to end the Alum Sting - Guru's Shaving Log

A few months back, I would have laughed at the idea of maintaining a shaving log, but now I'm completely and hopelessly smitten - to the point that I'm actually creating my own shaving log - talk about craziness huh?

Okay, I have been updating the past few shaves in one of the threads I started on here, and suddenly it dawned on me to start a shaving log itself. This will keep track of all my experinces, experiments and escapades. It will also keep track of my acquisitions, though I'm sure nobody is going to stop me from opening a new thread to showcase if I happen to acquire something of interest.

Enough of preamble - let me copy-paste the past few shaves from the other thread -

July 15th, 2014 -

Prep - Soaked face in hot water for a couple of minutes after bath.
Cream - Axe Denim
Brush - Best Badger
Razor - Gilette Stirling (plastic handle)
Blade - Rapira SS

I went WTG / XTG for the first pass (WTG on chins and under the jaw, XTG around the chin), and then XTG / ATG on the second pass. Followed that up with touch ups mainly between the lips and chin and some near the jawline.

First pass felt good - better than two passes combined, and gave me an SAS. However, the irritation was back on the second pass and especially after the touch ups. No reduction in alum sting at the end of the shave.:mad3:

July 16th, 2014 -

Prep - Cold shower
Cream - Axe Denim
Brush - Best Badger
Razor - Gilette Stirling
Blade - Rapira SS

This was a CWS. Had a couple of weepers after a very long time. However, these were not because it was a CWS but due to the fact was I was hurried - was getting late for work. Even left a stubble on the neck part just behind the chin. So scratch this shave.

July 17th, 2014 =

Prep - Cold shower
Cream - Patanjali Shave Gel
Brush - Best Badger
Razor - Local made cheap TTO
Blade - Rapira SS

Did a CWS again this time, but changed the razor. I have a local made TTO which actually is of very poor quality - feels flimsy, has unequal gaps on both sides. However, it is very very mild. On one side I can hardly see the blade edge, and on the other it's very slightly out. The shave itself did not feel great because it was pulling and tugging, and I had to resort to buffing on the second pass or the blade won't remove much. I got a DFS with a lot of effort, BUT the alum block did not sting much afterwards. It has been quite a while since that happened, and so I'm happy in spite of the not so enjoyable shaving experience.

July 18, 2014 (today) -

Prep - Rubbed glycering on beard about half an hour before shave, then a cold shower.
Brush - Vega Nylon brush
Razor - Gilette Stirling
Blade - Derby Extra

This was a much better shave. I, in fact, was not planning for a BBS, but first two passes went so well that I ventured for a third ATG pass. Did cause the alum block to sting after this, but noticeably less than earlier. I bet there would have been no stinging except for a couple of places if I had stopped after the second pass.

Was it the glycering or the Derby - I don't know.

I had a shave log...Excel spreadsheet...lasted about 10 shaves. I just didn't see the point of it. I mean what the heck is looking at my past shaves going to do for me? Gave it up...overkill if you ask me. But that's just me...if it works for you, then more power to you!

Never did that myself, but you have more products than I did, it looks like a good way to find your best set up

Cheers guys, hopefully it goes on for a while. The idea is to put all my shaving experiences in one place, and more importantly, receive feedback from the more experienced guys.

Of course, some newbie might learn a thing or two from my mistakes.

Thank you Mr. BSAGuy.

An evening shave today.

Prep - Practically none, barring wetting the face with cold water and rubbing the beard for a few minutes.
Cream - Patanjali Shave Gel.
Brush - Best Badger
Razor - Gilette Stirling
Blade _ Derby Extra

Almost the same setup today except the brush. Also, I did not use glycerine today to see what improved the shave last time - glycerine or derby. Turns out it was the derby, because today's shave was quite good too. An almost BBS with 2.5 passes. Alum sting still there but only in a few places like under the nose and a couple of places under the jawline.

Can't stop moving my hand over the beard - it feels so smooth.

Today's shave -

Prep - Applied coconut oil to my beard and massaged for about 5 minutes. This was around 15 minutes prior to shave.
Brush - Best Badger
Razor - Gilette Stirling
Blade - Derby Extra

Don't think the coconut oil did anything, or maybe the Derby is at it's end of life with today being third shave with it. First two passes were not bad at all, but I (again) went for third pass and worsened things. Got a close shave, but at the cost of a lot of sting from the alum. Didn't get any weepers, but bl**dy irritating for some time afterwards.

I need to do something to get over my obsession of BBS. There was actually no reason to go for a third pass. I got a reasonable shave after the second, and I would have saved about 10 minutes and some skin irritation, but the feel of some ATG stubble compelled me to lather up once more and go for that third one.

End of rant.

A new blade today -

Prep - Applied coconut oil and massaged into the beard for about 5 minutes and left it for another 10. Then took a cold shower.
Brush - Vega nylon
Razor - Gilette Stirling
Blade - BIC chrome platinum

Bad shave today. Did only two passes, got a close shave too, but got some very small nicks around the chin. The alum block really hurt today. The shave still took half an hour, and eventually I ended up feeling worse instead of better. This felt almost exactly like my shaves earlier when I didn't know squat about technique etc.

About the blades - they are sharp, but they are also uncomfortable on the face - maybe I can use the word unforgiving.

Prep - Glycerine, half an hour before the shave. Then a cold shower just before the shave.
Brush - Vega nylon
Razor - A new razor today - local brand named "Mercury". Much heftier than my plastic handled one.
Blade - BIC chrome platinum

Don't think the glycerine or oil is doing much for the shave. Maybe a tiny bit, but nothing worth the additional time and effort.

Got the new razor yesterday. It's much more weighted than my regular one, though blade needs to be slightly adjusted in the head. Liked the razor overall. After fitting the blade, you see a little more of the blade exposed, so I was worried that this would be rather aggressive, but that's not the case. In fact, the first pass felt much better.

I'm hating this blade though - it absolutely drags on the second pass. Again, a few small nicks and tons of alum sting at the end.

I think I'll get a new blade tomorrow.

Prep - Cold shower
Brush - Best Badger
Razor - Mercury
Blade - Shark

Damn, this razor is aggressive. Can say that now since I tried it with two different blades. Doesn't feel that way on the first pass, but it's evident when you go XTG.

No visible weepers or nicks, but lots of alum sting today too.

Yesterday's shave. Was quite interesting.

Prep - Cold shower
Brush - Best Badger
Razor - Mercury handle and bottom plate, but Gilette cap plate.
Blade - Derby.

The mix-n-match I tried on the razor was lethal to say the least. I am lucky to have escaped with only a couple of weepers. Was actually cringing before touching the face with alum block, and rightly so - loads of sting.

I'm taking a break today - my face needs it.

Evening shave today. Went for BBS since it was a leisurely one.

Prep - Soaked face in hot water for 3-4 minutes.
Cream - Patanjali Shave gel
Brush - Best Badger
Razor - Frankenrazor
Blade - Shark

A slight nick, nothing else visible, but the alum block stung like hell under the nose and under the chin too. Aaaarrrrgh!

Wow, I'm impressed. I keep a daily Walking Log. It's easy to keep. A log shows you are serious about your endeavor. Bravo! :thumbup1:

Prep - Hot water shower after massaging coconut oil into my beard.
Brush - Best Badger
Razor - Frankenrazor (My Indian Gilette with the heavy handle of the Mercury)
Blade _ Derby Extra

Nice shave today - a DFS+. The heavy handle of the Mercury worked like a charm on the Gilette head. On a whim, I decided to put an almost discarded Derby in there, and wow, it gave me a very good shave. Had I spent another 2-3 minutes, it would have been a BBS. Didn't completely get rid of the alum sting, but it was noticeably less.

On the flip side, decided to face lather, and had trouble with the lather for touch-ups after the second pass.

I do the same thing in excel. I'm a little OCD and I'm an engineer. Bad mix. The main reason I do it is to keep track of which razor and blade combos work best for me. I've noticed from my log that I tend to get better shaves from platinum coated blades, regardless of the razor.

OCD and engineer too.
I keep a smoking/grilling log and thought I should keep one for this too for blade and cream/soap combinations.
I do the same thing in excel. I'm a little OCD and I'm an engineer. Bad mix. The main reason I do it is to keep track of which razor and blade combos work best for me. I've noticed from my log that I tend to get better shaves from platinum coated blades, regardless of the razor.

Today's shave -

Prep - Cold shower
Cream - None.
Brush - None.
Razor - Frankenrazor (My Indian Gilette with the heavy handle of the Mercury)
Blade - Derby Extra.

Was thinking of skipping the shave today, but rubbing my palm on the beard made me reconsider it. Tried the plain water shave after a long time and it wasn't bad actually. I was a little more careful and did only 1.5 pass, but very little sting from the alum.

The shave is not bad too - not as close as everyday, but close to being a DFS. Bonus is that it was over in 10 minutes.

Top Bottom