What's new

Thinking About Straight Razor Shaving.

I'm a Straight Razor Shaver Wannabe: I have a few questions for the experienced straight razor guys. I've been wet-shaving since December of 2013. I really enjoy shaving with aggressive razors. My best shaves come from my 2011 R41 and a feather blade.

I believe the next step for me is to learn the art of straight razor shaving. I just purchased four of the Gold Dollar razors for honing practice. Here's my question: What's the best advice for a new guy just getting started. Best bang for the buck, hones to purchase, strops etc, videos to watch or books to purchase. Would you recommend starting with one of the Feather razors and proprietary blade combinations to learn.

Thank You

Last edited:
I would start with buying just one shave-ready straight razor. A regular piece, meaning 5 to 6/8", round point, medium to full hollow ground. Personally I would buy a vintage razor prepared by someone with a decent reputation, but you might also buy a new razor from a reputable vendor (Ralf Austs, Revisors or TIs, those are for me the best brands when buying new).

You'll of course also need a strop.

Don't do anything with those Gold Dollar razors before you know what a shave-ready straight feels like! For hones, there's all sorts out there, but I prefer coticules, as in principle you can finish a razor from scratch just using that one hone and, well, I think they're fun to use (inasfar as honing is fun, I'm starting to consider it a necessary evil).

Please do not make the mistake that others (including myself) have made, and start buying all sorts of hones more or less at random, because you'll bleed money that way.

I would start with buying just one shave-ready straight razor. A regular piece, meaning 5 to 6/8", round point, medium to full hollow ground. Personally I would buy a vintage razor prepared by someone with a decent reputation, but you might also buy a new razor from a reputable vendor (Ralf Austs, Revisors or TIs, those are for me the best brands when buying new).

Don't do anything with those Gold Dollar razors before you know what a shave-ready straight feels like! For hones, there's all sorts out there, but I prefer coticules, as in principle you can finish a razor from scratch just using that one hone and, well, I think they're fun to use (inasfar as honing is fun, I'm starting to consider it a necessary evil).

Please do not make the mistake that others (including myself) have made, and start buying all sorts of hones more or less at random, because you'll bleed money that way.

+1 It may be difficult for you to be able to judge the quality of your edges without at least one example of what a good shave ready straight will feel like. It is also worth mentioning that sometimes gd's need a bit of work on the shoulder and spine before they are ready for the hones. As for strops, I am currently using the 3" big daddy from star shaving. I really like this strop and feel like it is a great value for the cost. I have also owned the poor man strop for Larry at whipped dog, and have had good success with that as well.

Thanks guys for all the great advice. I've been reading some of the threads about lapping film. A lot of guys use film instead of expensive stones. What's your opinion. Thanks

Last edited:
I haven't personally used lapping film, but I have tried an edge done on it. They really do make a great edge, and for the price, it is hard to beat. Definitely something that everyone interested in honing should have in their arsenal.

Thanks guys for all the great advice. I've been reading some of the threads about lapping film. A lot of guys use that instead of expensive stones. What's your opinion. Thanks
I use it . Once I found the right combo I found I really like the edge I get.

I do my bevel set and heavy lifting on W/D and then finish on 3um and 1um film. Low entry level investment and always as flat as whatever your using under the film.

I'm really new too all the new straight razor abbreviations. What's a W/D? I guessing a heavy grit stone.

Honing a GD isn't necessarily easy because of shoulder and/or spine work you might have to.
Try a hobbyist like Buca, Doc, Seraphim or Noah for a starting blade that meets your budget so you know what a good blade should feel like.
Get a cheap strop.
As was said, Lapping film is a cheap entry point to honing.

Good luck.

bluesman7: what grit W/D do you use for heavy lifting and setting the bevel.
600 but I have gone as low as 320 if there is a lot of material to remove. I normally go 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, then 2000 with lather, 3um, 1um, and the last razor I honed, a half dozen light pressure laps on 1um over glossy newsprint, followed by hemp, and clean leather strops.

Sage advice. The Gold Dollars will be good practice but send one of them out to a pro who can get the edge flat on the hone, set a proper bevel and finish it to a keen and smooth shaver.

Top Bottom