What's new

Wilkinson Sword finest bristle brush

1st post here - I've just started DE Shaving!

I heard that the Wilkinson Sword Shaving Brush was supposed to be synthetic and it does smell odd after soaking in water.

I contacted Wilkinson Sword who confirmed that it is indeed synthetic - response from Wilkinson below:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Wilkinson Sword.

I can confirm that the bristle used on our shaving brushes are made from synthetic fibers, and do not containing any animal materials.

I hope you find the information above useful.

Kind Regards

Mr Asa Frempong
Consumer Service Executive
Energizer | Wilkinson Sword
Sword House | Totteridge Road | High Wycombe | Bucks | HP13 6DG

1st post here - I've just started DE Shaving!

I heard that the Wilkinson Sword Shaving Brush was supposed to be synthetic and it does smell odd after soaking in water.

I contacted Wilkinson Sword who confirmed that it is indeed synthetic - response from Wilkinson below:

First, let me welcome you to B&B and thank you for your post!

I'm a bit of a skeptic, particularly when it comes to statements made by marketing people. To verify whether the brush is truly synthetic, I would pull or cut a single hair from the brush and try lighting it. If it melts, it's synthetic. If it ignites and smells like burning hair, then it's an animal hair, probably boar.

First, let me welcome you to B&B and thank you for your post!

I'm a bit of a skeptic, particularly when it comes to statements made by marketing people. To verify whether the brush is truly synthetic, I would pull or cut a single hair from the brush and try lighting it. If it melts, it's synthetic. If it ignites and smells like burning hair, then it's an animal hair, probably boar.

You're right! I pulled out a hair from the brush and put a flame to it and it certainly did not smell of plastic and definitely hair! I think there are some black plastic bristles in there as they seemed to melt.

I'm a bit shocked that Wilkinson informed me in their email that it was synthetic - when it's clearly quite possibly not. I'm not a vegan but I don't want to use a brush made out of animal hair.

I've just ordered a synthetic brush from the body shop uk.

Looks like this thread is rather old, but anyone use this brush and recommend it? Especially considering the low price point at $6 and that its easy obtain at Walmart. Or is it low quality and more worthwhile to buy a boar hair omega for 2x the price instead?

I have to say I brought one of these super cheap brushes as a donor knot for my first attempt at making a brush. It has become my favourite brush for bowl lathering with creams, it is very soft and holds a lot of water. It makes a brilliant lather and has made my semogue 1305 redundant. Even better that it's in my custom handle. I intend to buy another.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 67
I've been enjoying this boar brush for a week now. IMHO the value is excellent!! It does have a smell the first couple times I used it, but after a week of using Williams Mug the smell is gone. While my synthetic had no smell, the bristles have a better firmness than my synthetic, larger size, but cost half the price. The oval handle fits in my hand nicely and grips well. Very pleased I risked $6 on trying this brush!

I have the same brush, when new, one or two of of the outside bristles were a little broken or short which makes me think that it's animal hair. Unless of course they deliberately did that as a decoy, but at £3.50 they wouldn't go to that trouble.

Top Bottom