What's new

I like Glenmorangie...

My mother got me one of the JW travelers editions. Was surprisingly good, especially as I have never liked other JW :)

Balvenie 12 double wood is a quality choice in your price point. Balvenie is by far my favorite distillery and their line can take you on a journey. Balvenie 14 Caribbean cask is my best bang for buck scotch. It runs about $55-$60 but drinks like a much more expensive bottle. Auchentoshan is another fine distillery that has a great 12 year old in the $45 price point.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have an unopened bottle of Glenlivet 15 that was a father's day gift, so good to know.

Is that one of the "french oak" ones? Those are nice.

proxy.php

I've got to say that if you've never tried The Yamazaki line of single malts you're really missing out. The 12 year is exquisite. It does run about $80 but worth every penny. The nose is complex and zesty. Taste has some soft citrus bitterness and spice and it finishes nicely with a vanilla sweetness that doesn't over power. I'm by no means a connoisseur and I have a difficult time explaining smells and tastes but this whiskey is just all around pleasant. If you're a big fan of smoky, peaty whiskeys such as Talisker you might find The Yamazaki a bit sweeter but there is a hint of peat in there.

Last edited:
Japanese whiskeys have a shorter finish, I find. But the complexity is amazing given how light they are. I agree with rossi that you must try Yamazaki or even Nikka even just once.

Top Bottom