What's new

New Girlfriend doesn't like my cologne - need some "clean" smelling recommendations

Much like the title says, I have a new (younger) girlfriend who doesn't like my Creed Aventus (and my FINE Platinum for that matter). She likes 'clean' smelling colognes if that helps and I'm open to not super expensive recommendations that aren't "Cool Water"

Thanks!

Why not skip the cologne and focus on your aftershave (or shaving soap/cream for that matter). For me, I only use cologne when there's a need to freshen up and there's no shower opportunity, otherwise it's just aftershave. You will likely find many more "clean" smelling aftershaves than colognes. On the milder side, look to plain old witch hazel, for something with a little more try a traditional bay rum, and on the extreme end of the spectrum, I like Fine's Snakebite.

Versace pour homme, a true compliment getter. It can be worn year round but I prefer it in Spring and Summer.

Another one to consider is Polo Blue parfum (I also used the EdT for years). I like it year round.

That being said, I agree that you should sample some at the department store with your GF.

Baldassarre Fragrance channel on Youtube has a bunch of videos of women blind reacting to different fragrances. Might help.

She likes 'clean' smelling colognes if that helps
Sounds like she might have something specific in mind. Why not ask her, or if you have asked her, what did she say exactly except for "clean smelling." It is hard to guess at someone else might like in a frag.

The fact that she does not like Aventus is throwing me, too. It is not my favorite frag, but my sense would have been that it was nearly universally popular among younger folks. Actually, just how young are we talking? How old are you? Maybe she is thinking something like Le Male or Sauvage. I guess I would put Bleu de Chanel in there, too. Those are scents of a particular type to me, which I suppose someone might describe as clean smelling, even if I would not necessarily do so, that have been hugely popular in, say, the recent decade. To me the have been somewhat overplayed, and to wear them might risk seeming out of date.

And, no, I would not think Cool Water.

A trip to the local frag shop with her might well be in order, but I personally find it difficult to pick out frags to actually buy based on sampling them at a fragrance counter. The way they evolve after being applied for some time is more important than fleeting top notes, and that is hard to judge for multiple scents at a time.

Check out You Tube maybe for what might be currently popular among younger people that is described as clean smelling.

You could always also buy a sampler pack from some of the various frag houses and try them out without having to invest in big bottles she might not like...

Versace pour homme, a true compliment getter. It can be worn year round but I prefer it in Spring and Summer.

Another one to consider is Polo Blue parfum (I also used the EdT for years). I like it year round.

That being said, I agree that you should sample some at the department store with your GF.
+1 for Versace Pour Homme

I've yet to meet a lady that didn't like the Versace scent on me.

If she doesn’t think aventus smells “clean”, she’s going to have a cow smelling guerlain vetiver. :lol:

I work in IT and as a consequence loathe Aventus. I have been to far too many vendor briefings in the last two decades where a conference room is full of salesmen who have oversprayed Aventus as some sort of misguided ritual dominance behaviour.

The great thing about the OG Vetiver is that those sort of people don't wear it! :D

Top Bottom