What's new

Portland General Store Whiskey soap

I just ordered the after shave and haven't actually smelled the scent yet but I'm guessing I'm going to like it very much. Has anybody any experience with the shave soap? It's a vegan/vegetarian blend so that appeals to me but only if it actually works.

I'm not a fan of it, the smell is sort of whiskey like but it's a pretty poor performer, thin airy lather that doesn't provide much glide or protection.

I notice that currently there is a puck of Whiskey soap sold, and a Whiskey soap sold that comes in a jar. They do not have the same formulation.

Jar soap (discontinued): castor oil, coconut oil, olive and palm oils, glycerin, cocoa butter, beeswax (yellow), apple cider vinegar, bentonite clay.

Puck soap (newer product): Coconut Oil, Organic Sustainable Palm Oil, Organic Safflower Oil, Glycerin (kosher, of vegetable origin), Bentonite Clay, Unrefined Beeswax, Purified Water, Essential Oils, Sodium Hydroxide

The newer puck soap seems as if it is using the fairly standard Brambleberry Shaving Soap Base: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerin (kosher, of vegetable origin), Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide (saponifying agent), Sorbitol (moisturizer), Sorbitan oleate (emulsifier), Soy bean protein (conditioner), Wheat Protein (conditioner).

Without testing the products, I would assume the newest formulation is superior, as olive oil in shaving soap tends to produce horrible results.

I agree with John, and even the newer formulation probably wouldn't be anything to write home about, since it is so close to the Brambleberry M&P base soap, which is OK but not stellar.

Top Bottom