What's new

Aussie Pass-around box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic review, thanks! :thumbsup:

Sadly, I also have irritation issues with Speick, a shame really, as it is a fantastic product.

Today I am at the halfway mark with the box – very sad....

$Shave3_1ToolsS.JPG

Razor: Gillette NEW (from the box)
Blade: PolSilver SI (2nd shave = 8 passes)
Brush: B&B Essential (from the box)
Cream: Proraso Blue (from the box)
Alum Block
Thayer's alcohol free Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm (from the box)

As most of you, I have also used some Proraso products before – but never creams and never the blue line. I always liked the Proraso Red (Sandalwood) soap. Although the smell is a bit artificial for me, the performance was always great. I tried also the Proraso White Soap (Green Tea) – but did not like the menthol in there. There is no problem with my skin here, but I simply don't like the feeling.

With this one there was unfortunately no difference. Sometimes during lathering up a tingling sensation started to kick in, and it was there until well after my shave. To be honest, the smell doesn't do it for me either – a bit medicinal and artificial. However YMMV and the performance was as with all Proraso products great. Very easy to get very smooth and slick lather and a fantastic face feel after the shave (except for the tingling of course).

$Shave3_2Brush_LatherS.JPG

Again I could not get more than 4 passes of lather into the brush and had to use the bowl to scrape off excess lather. Of course I can load more product into the brush, but I cannot lather up more than 4 passes at once. And lathering after the 2nd pass with the boar doesn't feel nice on the face. I never have this issue with my Omega 49 – it holds 6 passes of lather and after the 1st pass I only do paint motions – which feel great (with this brush as well).

The shave itself was finally great and I have a perfect BBS without any issues. However this demanded a lot of attention and an ultra slow shave today (took almost 40 min – while usually I shave in ~25-30min.). But the face feel is well worth it.

The aftershave balm has a nice feel, but again the scent is not for me.

Next review: hopefully on Friday

For the next couple of shaves I have to restrain myself – there is a box from Italian Barber on my desk – and we all know what is in there...but it will have to wait!
$Shave4_1ToolsS.JPG

Blade: Voskhod (1st shave = 4 passes)
Cream: Godrej (from the box)
Alum Block

I think I have said everything there is to say about the B&B brush, so let's just move on to the cream. It has a very funky and interesting smell – I have really nothing else to compare it to. It behaves very similar to my vegan soaps (RazoRock/HTGAM The Beach and OTOKO Organics) as in it needs very little water (the total opposite of the Speick Cream or for example Mike's soaps). I started with a very dry brush. I wrung it out – which I never do with a boar, I usually only shake out boars and wring badgers – and added only once a couple of drops of water to get the lather to the flying stage...

I must say, the cream is not the slickest I have encountered (or maybe it is the very hard water here) – however the face feel after the shave is spectacular – dare I say almost better than with proraso? My face feels moist and plumb on hot and dry day here – great. I think this is my favourite cream out of the box so far...

$Shave4_2Brush_LatherS.JPG

Now to the shave itself and I have to talk about the blades. Voskhods are my favourite blades and since I was lucky enough to score some at the Saint Sue auctions, I can allow myself to use them again – I can't find them anywhere at the moment and I fear they might have been discontinued – which would be a real shame!

The first three passes were extremely effortless and smooth. I had to work a little bit during the ATG pass, but I have to do that with almost every razor. All in all, a shave I would consider great, BBS without any issues.

Next review: hopefully on Sunday

Maggard Razors have Voskhods in stock. Packs of 5 for $1.

138 packs still available.

Yes, but the shipping is a bit of a killer unfortunately...

We had guests from interstate for the Rolling Stones here this weekend, so today just a very short review with no pictures – sorry!

Blade: Voskhod (2nd shave = 8 passes)
Cream: Musgo Real (from the box)
Alum Block

I think I have reviewed the Razor and brush extensively now, and there is nothing more to say. Today again a perfect BBS shave, although I had to rush things due to our guests. Seems like I have the razor dialled in perfectly and I am always happy with Voskhod blades.

The cream is great, fantastic slick lather, and probably the easiest lather to make out of all the creams I have used so far out of the box. The smell is very interesting as well, I would say the only thing a bit lacking is the plumb face feel afterwards. It does feel good, but not as moist/oily/slick as with the Godrej cream.

Next review: hopefully on Tuesday

I cannot believe, how quickly time has passed! Today was my last shave with the box and also my last full review :crying:
$Shave6_1ToolsS.JPG

Razor: ATT R1 Kronos
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (1st shave = 4 passes) (from the box)
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Cream: La Toja (from the box)
Alum Block

I have already cleaned the B&B Essential brush and the NEW in order for me to send the box in time to the next person – especially since I want the brush to be really dry, before I send it. Also, I think I have reviewed both of these items extensively and I didn't want to use a different razor just for one shave...so I used mostly my own gear today...

I am looking for a replacement for my Voskhod blades, since they are getting harder and harder to find. So I was pretty eager to try the Rapira Super Stainless, as they come from the same factory in Moscow. Unfortunately, these are not as smooth as the Voskhod. The first 2 passes are very similar, but from then on I could clearly feel the difference. The blade started to pull a bit and it was clear to me, that they wont be an adequate replacement for Voskhods.

I want to compare my razor and brush to the ones from the box a bit. The 2 razors could not be more different - the ATT is heavy and solid and for me it just feels like a natural extension of my arms and hands. While I always had to be careful with the NEW – today's shave was just so natural. And although the blade was not ideal, I had an effortless BBS shave – without any clean-up. I could even enjoy the views again :lol:

Now the 2 brushes are not so different – being both Omega boars. For me the 49 has just the most comfortable handle out of all the brushes I have ever tried – I guess it is due to my large hands. Yes the handle is ugly and yes it is too light – but the size just fits perfectly.

As for the lather building, they are both very similar – especially since by using cream, there is no difference in loading time. The 49 holds more lather – but not too much (maybe 1 pass) and the B&B is more focused (due to the smaller size). But are great brushes with fantastic flow-through. The give every bit of lather back – and I really enjoy that in a brush.

All in all I would say, that I prefer the 49 mainly due to the handle and the slight edge in holding more lather. However I would rank the B&B Essential as my 2nd favourite boar – it is a fantastic brush and it was hard for me not to trade it out of the box...but I wanted other gentlemen to experience it as well - so please enjoy.

The cream is definitely again very old school in smell and not my cup of tea. It performs of course fantastic – the lather is very much like stiff whipped cream – but the face feel after the shave is not as fantastic as with the Godrej cream.

OK, that's it from me – I will post the NEW :wink2: box to Melbourne tomorrow and post the tracking number here. I kept a couple of items from the box (Kai and Treat blades, Mama Bear soap sample), which I haven't reviewed yet and I will do so in the coming days and weeks.

I have also added some Mike's Soap Samples, Edwin Jagger and Ocam cream samples and some PolSilver SI blades – I hope somebody will enjoy them.

Again many thanks to Andy for this great box – it has been a fantastic experience and I can't wait for round 2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom