What's new

What's with all the diving in World Cup soccer?

"Diving" falls within the culture of the game of soccer/football pretty much anywhere outside of North America and the UK. It really is an accepted part of the game in Europe, South America, Middle East, etc. I grew up playing hockey, so it's hard to watch sometimes.

A friend of mine played semi-pro soccer in the UK and had mentioned during the 2010 World Cup that in his league, diving was frowned upon and players who dove would eventually be given a reason to roll around like they'd been shot by a sniper.

Great game between the Netherlands and Australia, by the way.

"Diving" falls within the culture of the game of soccer/football pretty much anywhere outside of North America and the UK. It really is an accepted part of the game in Europe, South America, Middle East, etc. I grew up playing hockey, so it's hard to watch sometimes.

A friend of mine played semi-pro soccer in the UK and had mentioned during the 2010 World Cup that in his league, diving was frowned upon and players who dove would eventually be given a reason to roll around like they'd been shot by a sniper.

Great game between the Netherlands and Australia, by the way.
I'd say diving is as prevalent in hockey as it is in soccer. I've played both, and love both sports a lot, but hockey has it's fair share of playacting. For instance any time a stick gets remotely near one's face, their head snaps back like they've been high-sticked really badly. There's also the embellishments, or flopping from a slight nudge along the boards to draw the boarding penalty.

I'd say diving is as prevalent in hockey as it is in soccer. I've played both, and love both sports a lot, but hockey has it's fair share of playacting. For instance any time a stick gets remotely near one's face, their head snaps back like they've been high-sticked really badly. There's also the embellishments, or flopping from a slight nudge along the boards to draw the boarding penalty.

+1. I saw a few instances of diving by LA players when they played the rangers.

I have to disagree about the equality in the prevalence of diving between hockey and soccer...BUT I do agree that diving has increased in hockey. Don Cherry discussed it at length during this years NHL playoffs. My point is that diving/drama is an accepted AND expected part of soccer.

This complaint really gets old...:thumbdown

Diving is part of the game, just like yelling at the umpire, dancing in the endzone, etc. are in their respective sports. They are trying to sell something to the referees.

Sorry, but it is has got to the stage where FIFA must act. Diving and simulation is CHEATING. I know that there are vast financial rewards at stake for the clubs and the prima donnas themselves, but the paying public are being cheated by this dreadful behaviour.

I'd been watching football since I was old enough to walk to Portman Rd in Ipswich, but the last few years I just cannot bear to watch all the cheats and the YT clip someone posted earlier in the thread just makes me want to vomit seeing grown men acting like that.

I think it's a legitimate complaint. I, for one, don't mind diving or flopping. However, when a player writes on the ground in pain and then, miraculously, jumps up and is fine once a yellow card is issued or a penalty kick awarded, it detracts from the game. I've seen players get carried off the filed on a stretcher only to run back on once s/he got the desired outcome.
I've been following football since the late seventies (on and off), and it's never been different. Some players even got "famous" (and hated) because of their schwalbes and simulated injuries.

Part of football culture, at least in Europe.

Or any soccer I've seen on TV really.

These guys get looked at funny and start writhing on the ground like they just gave birth to an elephant baby without an epidermal.

I enjoy the game and like watching it, but I'd like it a lot better if these guys played like the tough, hardened athletes that they are.
sorry, i'm a bit late to the party, but i like all things football(except maybe the diving - but it does make for interesting talking points), and so i dropped in as i scrolled through the older threads. i am curious, is the baby elephant born without it's outermost layer of skin(a prospect most painful) or is the player just recently not fouled acting as though he gave birth to said elephant without an epidural(a prospect also most painful).:001_smile
as to the dives, fifa could enact some retroactive punishment for obvious dives that would take the refs off the hook a bit for trying to determine what is or isn't and also get the player to think twice because of the hit to his pocketbook, or maybe throw a player out for committing three fouls no matter what level of seriousness. sadly, if it works, players will do it. it happens in all sports in all manner of ways, from ped's to dives to corked bats.

Top Bottom