What's new

PIF a Week.

PIF a week

One of the great acts of artistic creation that I’ve personally witnessed is Jonathan Coulton’s Thing a Week project. In 2005, he decided he would record one new song a week for an entire year. While not one of these tunes could be called great, they were still of surprisingly high quality and several of them were fantastic. Code Monkey is a geek anthem and even got a cartoon on G4 named after it and his James Taylor inspired recording of Baby Got Back reawakened in many of us the deep appreciation for ample backsides too easily forgotten in the hurly burly of adult life.

It’s in that spirit I’m attempting something similar but far easier. A PIF a Week. For the next 52 weeks, I will PIF something to one member every 7 days.
The goal in this PIF is endurance and not greatness. Sometimes I’ll be PIF’ing something quite desirable and other times it may be junk. Who knows. Maybe it will even be a mystery. I reserve the right to PIF whatever moves me at the time. I have a house full of stuff so coming up with one thing a week for a year shouldn’t be too hard. The challenge will be the shipping. Some weeks it’s harder to get to the Post Office than others,so participants must be patient if not virtuous.

The only firm requirement for the PIF is that you MUST be a contributing member, at some level, in order to participate. This seems only fair. The winners will be chosen at random-probably-unless there is some requirement that might make that week’s PIF more fun. In short, I maintain the right to arbitrarily change my mind about any of this so pay attention. A new item will be posted each week along with the requirements, if any, for winning it.

$fig,black,mens,ffffff.u1.jpg

Last edited:
Fellow Members,

It seems right and proper to start this off with a bang; with something special and, since this is Father’s Day, a thing that perhaps any one of our fathers might have at one time used.

I own one puck of Yardley’s vintage shaving soap in the original container. The puck is a little beat up from my having tried to carefully cut off slices from the back for a couple of B&B friends but more than half of it is still there. This soap grows increasingly hard to find and stumbling on it at flea markets for 5 or 10 bucks is far less common than seeing it marked up to a stratospheric (and to my mind ridiculous) 100 bucks a whack. It is, however, a truly wonderful soap and in giving it away, I'm fully aware I may never get to use it again. That's ok. I've had my chance and now you get yours.

To qualify for this PIF, just write “I’m in” and confirm that you already don’t own any vintage Yardley shaving soap and have never tried it. You must also be pure in heart, but if not pure in heart, then you must state that you would be pure in heart were it not so much trouble.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Anyone using any sort of emoticons is automatically disqualified from this week's PIF regardless of how cute or animated the emoticon. The use of adorable kitten memes will result in permanent suspension though puppy memes are strongly encouraged.

EDIT: 2nd IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to qualify for any of the PIFs, you must be a contributing member as stated above. This means that you've made a donation to B&B at some level. This is reflected by a Contributors badge.

Here we go and a Happy Father's Day to all of you who are fathers and to those mothers doing the work of fathers.

$photo 1.jpg

$photo 2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in. Great idea for a PIF! I can't wait to see how this all plays out!!

Great idea doing a PIF-a-week!! Not in though I honestly don't think I would use it

I'm in, this is pretty cool. Thank you for the PIF.

Guys,
good to see you here, but as the original post states, one has to be a contributing member to qualify. Wouldn't want you to miss out on the 52 chances at whatever comes up because you overlooked the requirement.
mark

I don't have trouble trying to be pure in heart but sometimes it's hard !! Great PIF and a great idea I am most definitely in. Here's to the next 52 weeks.

Thanks very much.

Great PIF idea, I admire your resilience.
Not in, though I seem to have expired my contributorship, so thanks for the reminder!

:thumbup:
:lol::lol::tongue_sm:lol:

Great PIF idea, I admire your resilience.
Not in, though I seem to have expired my contributorship, so thanks for the reminder!

:thumbup:
:lol::lol::tongue_sm:lol:

You'll still have 51 weeks to fix that...heck, you have 6 days to fix it for this one.

But then, there's the issue of those pesky emoticons.

I'm in. I picked up a Yardley's container yesterday, but it was sadly empty. Still couldn't pass it up for $3.

I was was once pure at heart.

I'm in. I picked up a Yardley's container yesterday, but it was sadly empty. Still couldn't pass it up for $3.

I was was once pure at heart.

It's crazy. Even the containers go for real money sometimes. That was a steal at 3 bucks.

Top Bottom