What's new

njt's shave journey v2

Attila, please tell us what the symptoms were that made you reject the razor. Would it not hold an edge at all?

Sure thing. I had it shipped directly to Alfredo to get it assessed as well as round the square tip on it a bit. He took some pictures with his scope.

Toe area. Very rough with a foil thing going on

$1.jpg

Next to the toe, very rough

$2.jpg

1/3 up the edge

$3.jpg

Mid portions not so bad...

$4.jpg
$5.jpg

Heel area scratches are rougher

$6.jpg

Then this loveliness at the heel

$7.jpg$8.jpg

My thanks to Alfredo for the scope pictures! So as you can see, the edge left a lot to be desired. Apparently this maker has come a long way though...

Hopefully the replacement from a different maker will be in much better shape!

When I unboxed it and wiped the oil off the blade I could see the heel area had issues, with my loupe the rest became apparent.

The scope pics are very telling

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
That edge makes me feel like I might not be such an idiot after all, but wow, a shop actually sold that and charged big bucks? :bored:

They told me this might have been one of that maker's earlier razors.

Doc could have fixed it, with a lot of work and metal removed. But if I'm paying the price for a new razor...

Last edited:
And a new razor you deserve. That's a damned shame and a crime in my opinion. I feel bad sometimes that an edge I put on a razor for free isn't as nice as I would have hoped. Pro-bono is one thing but for the price they are asking for those razors new? Egads!

Frank

Shave 159
16 shaves on the Hart

Decent one pass shave on the Hart with some touch up on the chin and neck.... Still going strong.

Shave 162 for Dad's funeral
19th shave on the Hart

Hope to get some rest over the holiday. Snow expected tomorrow. Pretty early in the year to be pulling the snow blower out but I am ready for whatever comes.

Hope to take a whack at honing again this week. I have a new JNat that I purchased in late September that I need to try out.

Shave 163

20th shave on Hart edge

The intervening time off has done some good for my shave technique. I had previously decided that one WTG and one ATG pass were pretty much all I needed for a great shave. Today I got the ATG pass working better than at any other time. Part of it must be the fine edge Doc put on the Hart. Part of it is gentler technique on my part. For some reason I seem to be predisposed to pushing and "helping" the blade do its work. Today I was relaxed.

Last edited:
Shave 164
21st shave on Hart

Carved up my chin like the Thanksgiving Day turkey. Way overconfident and totally devoid of feel I just dove in on the ATG. Perhaps snowblowing the driveway and clearing the cars beforehand ruined my feel a bit. But man - I did a number on myself. Probably going to be a few days to heal.

Happy Thanksgiving. Save the carving tools for the bird.

Oy! What a contrast to #163!! So sorry to hear that Nicholas. I've been there. It's not fun. A quick healing to you. Take a couple of days off at least to heal!

Sounds like that Hart is still super sharp. But it doesn't take a lot of sharpness on a straight to cut you.

It's like they say. It doesn't matter how much experience you have, "turn your back" on them just once...and you pay the price! Part of what makes it so challenging and interesting for us, I guess!

Last edited:
A lot sharper than I thought, as a matter of fact! This is a super touchy game we are playing ATG. That chin area has plagued me from day one. This is part of the learning curve. I'll go WTG for a couple days and hope the chin heals up fast. Obviously I need to take my own advise and go slow and lightly. Can't seem to keep my own advise in my head for more than 24 hours or so.

A lot sharper than I thought, as a matter of fact! This is a super touchy game we are playing ATG. That chin area has plagued me from day one. This is part of the learning curve. I'll go WTG for a couple days and hope the chin heals up fast. Obviously I need to take my own advise and go slow and lightly. Can't seem to keep my own advise in my head for more than 24 hours or so.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's been a rough go for you lately.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
:lol: No, I'm not laught at you, I'm laughing with...... naw, I'm laughing at you :tongue_sm .... but only because we've all been there.

Top Bottom