What's new

Plisson Synthetic

My first synthetic brush was a Parker which had a very small knot. (not sure what size but I would guess 19mm at the most.) Although I was happy with it I later bought a Jack Black brush that had a nice dense 24mm knot and I got so used to it I ended up giving away my Parker. I didn't like it anymore.
I find it better to make lather in a bowl with a bigger knot. I guess you can make anything work once you get used to it weather it's a brush, soap or razor.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Red Ferrari synth from Plisson,when I did a fast check at L'Occitane and sure enough,the cade brush is back in stock.I may still get the Red one if I like the Cade version,can't have enough shave gear :lol:

That's for sure, you never have enough shave gear. If you keep coming to this site you will have plenty of back-up products.

I got a Plisson about two months ago. For what it is and price point - I think it's great. May be the softest brush I own.

Thought I would shave with a silvertip and the Plisson today. Silvertip is 24x55 Shavemac bulb. Plisson is 22x55 bulb.

Face lather using Maca Root cream. Badger on left, synthetic on right. Pretty close, but I thought the density of badger didn't release as much as synthetic, so there was a thinner layer of lather on the face.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416063627.204164.jpg

Brushes after initial lathering, synthetic on left, badger on right. Pretty similar.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416063705.244601.jpg

Second pass with just the badger. Very thin and dry lather.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416063743.249554.jpg

Second pass with just the synthetic. More creamy and similar to first pass.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416063796.560428.jpg

Brushes after second passes. Looks similar to me.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416063841.396494.jpg

(Continued next post)

Here I squeezed out the remains of lather in the brushes.

Silvertip was very runny, like it didn't mix well. The lather on the face was dry. This knot was too dense to mix lather in the knot.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416063903.741364.jpg

Synthetic was creamy and very well mixed.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416063965.563893.jpg

And here are the brushes full of water, then squeezed out, then dried tips on a towel.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416064013.938458.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416064022.005405.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416064028.705951.jpg

The performance of the synthetic in my opinion was superior to the badger. The only draw back was the tips having the tiniest bit of irritation, but I'm wondering if I have a defective brush.

I got a Plisson about two months ago. For what it is and price point - I think it's great. May be the softest brush I own.

The Plisson is very soft but I also have a H.I.S. brush by Beauty Strokes which I feel is even softer. The softest brush I have ever tried.

Thought I would shave with a silvertip and the Plisson today. Silvertip is 24x55 Shavemac bulb. Plisson is 22x55 bulb.

Face lather using Maca Root cream. Badger on left, synthetic on right. Pretty close, but I thought the density of badger didn't release as much as synthetic, so there was a thinner layer of lather on the face.

View attachment 519120

Brushes after initial lathering, synthetic on left, badger on right. Pretty similar.

View attachment 519121

Second pass with just the badger. Very thin and dry lather.

View attachment 519122

Second pass with just the synthetic. More creamy and similar to first pass.

View attachment 519123

Brushes after second passes. Looks similar to me.

View attachment 519124

(Continued next post)

These new synthetic brushes are hard to beat. They are the way of the future.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Today was my first shave with Plisson synthetic and Santa Maria Novella soap. WOW. Synthetics' advantage: no pre-shave soaking & no break in period either (like days for odor, stiffness). Out of the box the Plisson synthetic is A+. Lathers either "scrubby" or "painting" quite nicely. Bristles are so soft I can't call them bristles anymore, there is no "bristle". I thank all previous Plisson reviewers for their honest reviews. I wish I got this brush first. Badgers and boars do not stand much of a chance. IMHO.

The performance of the synthetic in my opinion was superior to the badger. The only draw back was the tips having the tiniest bit of irritation, but I'm wondering if I have a defective brush.

You don't have a defective brush as they are, all, like that. This is the only reason why this brush isn't in my rotation. Nonetheless, it is a fantastic brush, overall, and the best synthetic I have tried, to date.

You don't have a defective brush as they are, all, like that. This is the only reason why this brush isn't in my rotation. Nonetheless, it is a fantastic brush, overall, and the best synthetic I have tried, to date.

I'm confused! You call the Plisson a fantastic brush but it is not in your rotation because it causes irritation. Then wouldn't that make some other synthetic brush such as a Muhle the best?

I'm confused! You call the Plisson a fantastic brush but it is not in your rotation because it causes irritation. Then wouldn't that make some other synthetic brush such as a Muhle the best?
Or perhaps the EJ XL? [emoji2] Celestino can explain.

Thank you for the test,very useful !
Congratulations.

:thumbup:

As long as this is resurrected, I might as well post.

I received a L'occitane Plisson as a Christmas gift from my wife of 27+ years. I have used it every day since and I could not be more pleased.

Lathers well, dries fast, very soft, good ergonomics, great price at $30. What's not to like?

To clarify, at the time, I had thought it was the best synthetic I had tried even though there was a very mild 'prickliness' with the fibres. However, I have since found the Edwin Jagger XL to be the best synthetic brush. :blush:

Last edited:
Celestino, does your EJ XL splay much during usage?

If I use the appropriate amount of pressure, it splays quite well. It mimicks my badgers quite closely, but it will never, truly, offer the same characteristics. The best thing I enjoy about this brush is the almost complete lack of 'springiness' I have encountered with all other synthetics, excluding the Plisson, which just didn't have any backbone, for me.

Last edited:
I found the Semogue SOC boar just too big...is that around the same size as the EJ XL?

I have the 21mm EJ Synth and am contemplating either the 23mm or the XL....help...

As long as this is resurrected, I might as well post.

I received a L'occitane Plisson as a Christmas gift from my wife of 27+ years. I have used it every day since and I could not be more pleased.

Lathers well, dries fast, very soft, good ergonomics, great price at $30. What's not to like?

+1 Got one last Friday and it works wonderful. Between it and my Muhle STFv2 I am set!

I found the Semogue SOC boar just too big...is that around the same size as the EJ XL?

I have the 21mm EJ Synth and am contemplating either the 23mm or the XL....help...

I had the Muhle STF in 23mm, I liked it so much I thought I would try the 25mm since I read so much good stuff about it along with the EJ Synth which are suppose to be the same knot. The 25mm is a big knot. It seems much bigger than just the 2mm it implies. It took a little getting use to but now it is my favorite brush by far. It is in a class by itself. If you don't like big brushes then I would stay away from the 25mm. But the 23mm was my favorite until I got the 25mm.

Top Bottom