What's new

Plisson Synthetic

what is the difference in gen 4 and beyond? is it the same for all manufacturers? is a higher gen necessarily better?

edit: I read up on it. the gen 4 should be better but many people like the plisson better than the muhle. it retains water and heat so perhaps it defies generations. I have no idea why I and many others like it better. not to say there aren't plenty of others that prefer the muhle. from what I read the plisson should be inferior to the muhle. seemingly, it is not which is odd.

Last edited:
The experts say it's a Gen 3, yet this brush does retains heat and moisture and splays easier on the face than other synths....so should it be in its own category?

I don't know. I think the fiber generation thing started out as a way to make things easier in terms of telling the fibers apart but it's still a YMMV thing. I realized that I did have a generation 4 brush - actually two counting the HIS - since I bought a Pur Tech in spring 2013. The fibers are very soft but more springy than the Plisson and the glue bump in it is ridiculously high. That's actually why I stopped using it and presumably forgot about it. The Plisson behaves more naturally on the face.

So no, higher generation isn't necessarily better. Plenty of people enjoy the Whipped Dog synthetic and the older Omega artificial badgers. YMMV.

Hey Kevan did you get an update on your delivery? France shuts down next Monday the 14th-Bastille Day (their version of Independence Day).
No, it's still "Préparation en cours" ("processing"). I don't know whether to be worried or not. Rassage has more experience with Plisson and he says wait, so I'll wait. Like I told him, initially my stupid bank denied the charge because they thought it was fraudulent (coming from France and all). I got a call from the fraud dept. the next day, cleared it up, and the charge showed up on my account the day after that.

So I can only assume Plisson received the funds. I've only gotten the one email from them, a processing/order tracking one.

unless you think somehow they did not get the funds or the order did not go through I would wait like a couple of weeks and then email them. I mean a couple of weeks from when you placed the order. I guess you could email them now once if you want. French companies tend to get upset if they think we are being pests. even if we are not. again, I don't mean anything bad by that. just a lot of experience with shipments too and from france.

I guess the plisson is in fact in it's own category. it has some attributes of gen 3 in appearance but seems to function differently. I don't even know any gen 4 that behaves like it. we have to realize these companies are in competition. I don't think you can really compare the products across companies. gen whatever may be different from two different manufacturers. just like one companies super badger is not the same as another companies. I think you are right, they tried to categorize them. that could be a general rule of thumb but I don't think it explains everything. one needs to find out which one they like themselves. regardless of generation I think. however, gen 1 might be pushing it. I know some people do even like that too though. toothbrush bristles would not be my cup of tea.

Any idea is resin or acetate handles directly sold from plisson is solod rods or empty inside filled with foam like cade one?

I know the Plisson acetate handles with the faceted finger hold spots are hollow. The other acetate handles I'm pretty sure are solid.

I wouldn't worry if it were hollow. there is obviously a reason they do that other than cost. it is more expensive to route the handle and the price of the foam. I don't know why they do that but they must have a good reason.

I was surprised at how nice these Plisson synths are. I'd read the glowing reports and thought yeah, maybe one day. Bought one from the L'occitane store in the mall. I'm really enjoying it!

what is the difference in gen 4 and beyond? is it the same for all manufacturers? is a higher gen necessarily better?
edit: I read up on it. the gen 4 should be better but many people like the plisson better than the muhle. it retains water and heat so perhaps it defies generations. I have no idea why I and many others like it better. not to say there aren't plenty of others that prefer the muhle. from what I read the plisson should be inferior to the muhle. seemingly, it is not which is odd.

I think the generations thing came about because of all of the new synthetic brushes that were coming out. Just to make it easier to compare different brushes. In the end you have to try it for yourself. I've have some old synthetic brushes, such as the Parker, which I thought were just fine. It's the same old YMMV thing.

Last edited:
I'd like to see someone with a chemistry background compare the various generations. My best guess is that involves polymer chemistry which I never took as a entire class. In inorganic we briefly touched upon nylon, teflon, dacron, etc.

I'd like to see someone with a chemistry background compare the various generations. My best guess is that involves polymer chemistry which I never took as a entire class. In inorganic we briefly touched upon nylon, teflon, dacron, etc.

I have no back ground in this either but I think the main difference anyone would find is the thickness and the taper in each of the fiber bristles. The better ones are softer and thinner and taper more to a point.

I wouldn't worry if it were hollow. there is obviously a reason they do that other than cost. it is more expensive to route the handle and the price of the foam. I don't know why they do that but they must have a good reason.
Even if they have a good reason, for the price they charge I'd want a resin/acetate handle to be solid. Plenty of companies provide solid handles for less. Wood is a different story...depending on the wood, of course.

In the case of the Cade brush, it feels heavy and solid, so I don't care. Plus it's $55, which is a decent price.

I would tend to think that solid is better but I really don't know. I would like to think the muhle is better since it is newer. I don't though. I guess it is like Toyota vs Honda. neither is better. it depends on personal preference. my friend is a scientist at an oil co. they use a 10 million dollar photo vapor scanning machine and an electro scanning microscope but it is a clean room. I will ask him if I cut a bristle off of each if he could have a look.

I have no back ground in this either but I think the main difference anyone would find is the thickness and the taper in each of the fiber bristles. The better ones are softer and thinner and taper more to a point.

This certainly makes sense. But that begs the question does softer/thinner/more taper correlate more closely with the generation or the cost?

This certainly makes sense. But that begs the question does softer/thinner/more taper correlate more closely with the generation or the cost?

The more refined it is means more work involved and therefore will cost more. Anything better usually cost more. This would also mean that it is a newer generation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom