What's new

Plisson Synthetic

assuming something is top of the line and also newer does not mean it costs more to make or sell. just because it is newer technology. Porsche made a car in the 1980's that is was way more msrp than any 2015 Porsche. it was not better than the best 2015 Porsche either. in fact old fashioned actually cost more to make before mass production. I realize gen 3 and gen 4 are not old fashioned per se. however I think there may be something about the plisson causing more work we don't know about.

besides I don't think you can directly compare competing products from any manufacturer other than technology items. they all have tricks of the trade and patents. I don't mean to be smart I just think this holds true.

my first cade was defective. among other issues it would not make lather or splay. it was stiff as a board. which is probably why it would not lather. there were other issues with it. they gladly replaced it and the new one is spectacular. they obviously have qc issues with these. the cade also may be made to a lower price point. it still should not be defective though.

The Plisson is a really great brush and I like the color of the bristles better than the fake badger coloring that many other brushes use.

I still can't decide between my Muhle STF 23mm knot and the Plisson. For now I decided to use the Plisson for face lathering and the Muhle for bowl lathering. They are both top notch brushes.

Got an email from Plisson...shipped today. FINALLY. I ordered the thing on June 27th. I guess they take their sweet time.

Only problem now is I'm going out of town on the 30th for a medical procedure and I don't know how long I'll be gone. I hope it doesn't arrive in that time. The reason I ordered it LAST MONTH was I thought it would arrive with plenty of time to spare, since things coming from Europe typically take 7-10 days.

Ah well.

Got an email from Plisson...shipped today. FINALLY. I ordered the thing on June 27th. I guess they take their sweet time.

Only problem now is I'm going out of town on the 30th for a medical procedure and I don't know how long I'll be gone. I hope it doesn't arrive in that time. The reason I ordered it LAST MONTH was I thought it would arrive with plenty of time to spare, since things coming from Europe typically take 7-10 days.

Ah well.

That's what happens when you order during the World Cup ;)

I got the faux horn acetate handle. I'll take pics when it arrives. Hopefully it arrives in less than 2 weeks.

Dear sirs i have a question about acetate handles could be directly bought from plisson. is the handle made from solid resin or empty inside like cade version? Regards

Picked up one of these at the L'Occitane store.

I always thought they looked like cheap synthetics, but I have one of those as well and the Plisson has much finer hairs, softer tips, and more hair.

The handle is surprisingly weighty, more so than my Semogue SOC. Fit and finish are good. Handle has some kind of water resistant stain. It looks nice but I would prefer an acrylic handle.

I lathered up a number of soaps and creams. The Plisson loads up quickly, like the Muhle, but because of the density it's actually easier to load. It builds lather quickly as well, slight different because it's not as splayed out. The lather quickly goes from foam to incorporated and well mixed.

Because of the fine hairs and density, it actually holds water and heat, unlike the Muhle. It also holds more lather, kind of. The Muhle holds more toward the tips while the Plisson holds throughout the knot. Lather flow is still pretty good.

Softness is pretty much identical to the Muhle, far softer than natural brushes. It is less springy but because the knot is tighter and more dense it doesn't splay quite as easily. Of course my Muhle is 19mm. I recall my larger Muhle brushes were harder to splay and far more likely to flop around.

I'll keep updating as I use it. Here are some pictures comparing the Plisson with a Shea Moisture synthetic and Muhle STF v2 19mm:View attachment 446259View attachment 446260View attachment 446261

Jarick,

In your photos you show the Shea Moisture shave brush as well as the other two. As the Shea Moisture is the only one that I presently own, would you please be so kind as to tell me your impressions of it in comparison to the Plisson. Do you find the Plisson vastly superior? I am just wondering if it is worth the upgrade to the Plisson, as I have actually really enjoyed using the Shea Moisture but it is my only synthetic. Any one else who owns both, please also feel free to give your impressions.

Jarick,

In your photos you show the Shea Moisture shave brush as well as the other two. As the Shea Moisture is the only one that I presently own, would you please be so kind as to tell me your impressions of it in comparison to the Plisson. Do you find the Plisson vastly superior? I am just wondering if it is worth the upgrade to the Plisson, as I have actually really enjoyed using the Shea Moisture but it is my only synthetic. Any one else who owns both, please also feel free to give your impressions.

The Shea moisture brush isn't very good to be honest. It doesn't hold water and is scratchy feeling. Very cheap.

I've had three Muhle brushes, the Plisson, and now a custom Muhle knot set lower in a handle. The Plisson is softest but the bristles feel like they clump and irritate my sensitive skin, for normal skin they should be fine. They hold water really well. The Muhle knots are less dense and don't clump as much but don't hold water as well. They feel softer as they are less dense.

My pick is the Muhle brush for bowl lathering and the Plisson for face lathering. For the Muhle I like 21 or 23mm.

Interested to see how these stack up - took some work but ordered a couple for eventual delivery to Australia. Have the Virgina Sheng Pur-tech in a ~22m knot and thats very good (for what it is) - best suited to bowl lathering IMHO.

To me the Plisson is very different from my other synthetic brushes. It does seem very dense as Jarick said. So I guess I am just use to a brush more like the Muhle for bowl lathering.
I never had much success with using a shave soap stick until I tried the Plisson. It is the best for me as far as face lathering goes.

Last edited:
I love my Plisson brush. My only wish might be in the future they make one with a smaller knot. For that reason I am still considering trying the Muhle STF v2 19mm.

I love my Plisson brush. My only wish might be in the future they make one with a smaller knot. For that reason I am still considering trying the Muhle STF v2 19mm.

The Plisson with the 22mm knot, is the smallest brush I own, followed by my Muhle STF 23mm knot. I enjoy both of them. Why do you feel the need for a smaller brush?

Hi shave/brush,

Excellent question. My old shaving brush is smaller, and as such I got used to its size. I guess it makes me feel more in control of the lather, especially working it into tight spaces when I have a goatee etc. So although I don't know if it is a direct need, I feel it is some I am more accustomed to, and thus prefer. That all said, I do prefer the Plisson over my other shaving brush.

Best,
John

I was about to pull the trigger on the Red Ferrari synth from Plisson,when I did a fast check at L'Occitane and sure enough,the cade brush is back in stock.I may still get the Red one if I like the Cade version,can't have enough shave gear :lol:

Top Bottom