What's new

Stainless steel Razor

I know there are multiple threads on this subject, but I am going to revive it.. Getting the itch pretty bad. I really want a Pils . Also looking Into a Att R1, Ikon series, or should I just wait till Tradere comes back on the market.. Any advice is welcomed

Tradere is MIA for now, unless you can find a used one for sale. Have you considered the Weber razor, I love mine. They are well made, top notch razors.

I am interested in getting a Weber and a PILS. Am not fond of the Tradere handle, and not fond of iKon as a company.
ATT looks nice, but for some reason I am not interested in them.

Weber is the best bang for buck in a SS razor. Head is sintered and reminds me (in a nice way) of Ruger rifles. A good honest product at a fair price. The razor itself is very mild, too mild in fact for me but if you are in the US you owe it to yourself to own one.

ATT is a precision tool. Reminds me of fine surgical instruments and with the different heads you are are bound to find one you will like.

Both of these are multigenerational; your descendants will thank you.

The Weber is a lovely razor, with an almost industrial finish that I find very appealing. I think it's moderate in terms of aggression -- certainly nowhere as mild as some vintage Gillettes like the Tech. I'd say it's a fraction more aggressive than my EJ89, and somewhat smoother.

Last edited:
I had an ATT, tried the M1 and R2 plates. I recently traded it and got a Weber PH with a bulldog handle. I absolutely love my Weber. The ATT was a gorgeous razor but the Weber just fits me so much better :)

The Weber is a lovely razor, with an almost industrial finish that I find very appealing. I think it's moderate in terms of aggression -- certainly nowhere as mild as some vintage Gillettes like the Tech. I'd say it's a fraction more aggressive than my EJ89, and somewhat smoother.

+1 with regards to the Weber's finish.

I have the polished head Weber on a bulldog handle & I find mine to be milder than my mid 50's English (brass) ball end tech. Even with a Feather blade & a heavier handle (UFO thin Tornado), for me, it is still super mild. However, the Weber is also my smoothest shaving razor & I love using it.

Of the other stainless steel razors I have tried, I can recommend the ATT H2, the Ikon SB, the Ikon Slant & the Traderere 2nd gen. OC. In fact the only stainless steel razor I have tried & didn't get on very well with, is the Ikon Deluxe OC, which always shaves a bit rough, though the end results are OK.

I have never wanted to acquire either a Pils, or a Feather, as I think that they would both be way too mild for me.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Are they going to bring back the DLC coating?
No, no plans for that or open comb at this time. I think Ed Weber is making things simple for production, marketing and keeping the price affordable; razors are not his main job. They are a bargain; I bought my Weber PH Bulldog last summer. I haven't bought another DE razor since.

Just my two cents, but I absolutely love my ATT Atlas M2. I started with the R2 but found it a touch aggressive for my throat area.

I have just sold my Pils. It was without doubt one of the most beautifully made objects I have ever owned. However for me the head was too big, it really is massive so I would think carefully before buying one.
My Feather AS-D2 is my favourite SS razor, exceptionally well made and a pleasure to use.

Like others have said, Weber is a great razor at a great price. I love mine, and I prefer the classic handle over the bulldog.

There is a lot of folks who do not like iKon as a company, and I can't say that I'm a huge fan either. That said, with the personal nonsense aside, iKon makes a great razor. their Slant and Deluxe OC are my #1 and #2 favorite razors, respectively. There SB razor would be my #4 probably, only being narrowly edged out by the Weber.

ATT is another razor that I wholeheartedly plan on acquiring; there's just too much good being said about them for anyone not to consider their products. They're pricey, for sure, and that alone right now is the only reason I haven't purchased anything from ATT.

I have not tried Pils, Feather, or Tradere razors, however most people seem to like all of them. I will say, the Feather AS-D1 and AS-D2 is probably the stainless razor that I see pop up on the B/S/T most ofter, so take that for what it's worth. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the Tradere handle, though I hear they shave like a dream. Either way, the Tradere is something you'll likely have to wait to purchase until one pops on the on the bay or B/S/T.

So, from my experiences, and purely from a performance and aesthetics standpoint, I would highly recommend a Weber or iKon set up as far as stainless razors are concerned. And ATT makes six different baseplates, and two (soon to be three) different handles - I can't imagine that there isn't a combination of those components to suit everyone's individual needs.

... ATT is another razor that I wholeheartedly plan on acquiring; there's just too much good being said about them for anyone not to consider their products. They're pricey, for sure, and that alone right now is the only reason I haven't purchased anything from ATT...
+1 I am exclusively an open comb shaver these days, so that somewhat limits the field. I have an iKon Shavecraft 101 that I really, really like. However, I am jonesing for the new ATT Colossus handle (expected to be on the market in June) with an M2 head, and it is prominently on my birthday/Christmas wish list for my family to see.

Aarond, based on what I have read here at B&B, there is a lot of love for just about all of the SS offerings, but the ones that seem to garner the most praise are 1) ATT if money is not an issue, followed by 2) Weber if you are paying attention to price. Every brand has its fans and detractors, and it appears that it is hard to go wrong in the SS razor arena. Besides, you can always sell it on B/S/T for close to what you paid for it if you don't like it.

I'm pondering the same question as the OP. I have a AS-D1 which will be popping up on BST soon. I'm currently looking at ATT or Ikon OCC.

What's the deal with people not liking ikon as a company? I'm fresh into this subculture.

The ATT Kronos R1 is my daily shaver and I can't praise it enough. It's a fantastic, precision tool. It's impossible to misalign a blade. It's aggressive, but once-mastered it is frighteningly efficient. And it's extremely attractive to look at. Pricey, yes, but worth every penny.

Top Bottom