What's new

New To The Nib

So I joined B&B under the guidance of my brother's when all three of us converted to wet shaving. I don't post much due to not being knowledgeable on many of the subjects here. Yet I always browse the site daily and skim through most of the post for the day. Then came the day I came across a post from the nib. This brought back memories from my childhood of doing calligraphy with a dip pen and a handful of felt pens. From here the rabbit hole just got deeper and deeper. I ran out to the nearest hobby store that weekend and picked up a speedball dip pen set. This has turned into 3 dip pen sets and a rather sizeable order from paperinkarts. Yet I couldn't shake the idea of making the conversion to fountain pens as a daily use pen. So many threads about the mystical wonders of such a great and timeless item. So off to Goulet I went, got my wife to convert as well so that meant double of everything. How could this get out of hand its just a pen right. So now about 2 moths in and I have made 2 weeks without touching a ballpoint pen and couldn't be happier. I now share with the SWMBO 2 metropolitans, 2 Plumix, 2 Penmanships, 1 Prera and 1 Mounteverde Intima.
My metropolitan has the <EF> nib from one of the penmanships with Noodlers 54th Mass as my daily carry. It lays down a fine enough and dry enough line i can use it on any cheap paper without fear. I have another Prera coming soon just waiting on the metro with the fine nibs to come out to pull the trigger. Any suggestions to my current setup for a daily use pen would be appreciated.....Oh and My name is Ben and im a Penaholic

Hi, my name is Rick and I'm addicted to dip pens, inks, brush pens, shaving creams/soaps, after shave, fragrances, and Swedish snus. OMG, that's a long list :scared:

Been looking at brush pens. Any you recommend? I'm not addicted to shaving soaps I only want one of each. One each isn't an addiction it's a collection right?

Welcome aboard,... and for one each I sure hope your hair grows fast lol, be a long time before you could use that up

Well, I am new to brush pens as well, and have only been playing/practicing with them for maybe a week now. I started with 5 disposable brush pens that I picked up from Jetpens.com. They were inexpensive and perform wonderfully. 2 Zebras, 2 Pilot and a Tombow, which is my favorite thus far. Good luck, they're a lot of fun. I already have a couple "higher" end pens on my wish list, but I'm trying to find some reviews of them beforehand.

Hello my name is Brian....I am not addicted to Fountain Pens.... I am a HOARDER, There I said it !!!!

Welcome to the rabbit hole !!

Welcome Aboard DocHoliday!!!You have the makings of a nice stable of pens!!!

Tom

Yes a good start. I find the fine lines and smoothness of the pilots intriguing for the price. Now i cant help but look at their higher end pens and wonder how much better they get. I am not opposed to other brands. I just like really fine lines. My Intima has the 1.1mm stub. I don't dislike it but prefer a <F> or <EF> nib. I am really looking hard at the custom 74 or a vanishing point. Any suggestions on other brands would be welcomed. For now I still have months of reading to do in the NIB.

I just picked up a Vanishing Point in Fine about two weeks ago, Doc, my first pen better than a Lamy Safari / AlStar. To be honest, I was a little bit disappointed, it was quite a bit scratchier than my EF Lamy, and writes very dry. This saturday, though, I have a new Fine nib for it coming in from Mr. Binder that I have high hopes for curing that malady! As far as the mechanics and build quality goes, it is a wonderful piece of work. I tend to carry my pen around pretty much all the time, and it's a lot more pocket-able than the Safari. I was somewhat worried that the plunger would be too easy to hit, and extend the nib in my pocket, but no problems there. It takes a good, solid push to get the nib deployed. Feels awesome, too. The kind of awesome that makes you want to sit there and do the "clicky, clicky, clicky" thing for hours.

Last edited:
So I joined B&B under the guidance of my brother's when all three of us converted to wet shaving. I don't post much due to not being knowledgeable on many of the subjects here. Yet I always browse the site daily and skim through most of the post for the day. Then came the day I came across a post from the nib. This brought back memories from my childhood of doing calligraphy with a dip pen and a handful of felt pens. From here the rabbit hole just got deeper and deeper. I ran out to the nearest hobby store that weekend and picked up a speedball dip pen set. This has turned into 3 dip pen sets and a rather sizeable order from paperinkarts. Yet I couldn't shake the idea of making the conversion to fountain pens as a daily use pen. So many threads about the mystical wonders of such a great and timeless item. So off to Goulet I went, got my wife to convert as well so that meant double of everything. How could this get out of hand its just a pen right. So now about 2 moths in and I have made 2 weeks without touching a ballpoint pen and couldn't be happier. I now share with the SWMBO 2 metropolitans, 2 Plumix, 2 Penmanships, 1 Prera and 1 Mounteverde Intima.
My metropolitan has the <EF> nib from one of the penmanships with Noodlers 54th Mass as my daily carry. It lays down a fine enough and dry enough line i can use it on any cheap paper without fear. I have another Prera coming soon just waiting on the metro with the fine nibs to come out to pull the trigger. Any suggestions to my current setup for a daily use pen would be appreciated.....Oh and My name is Ben and im a Penaholic
Welcome to the world famous B&B Nib forum, i hope you are getting better at lathering Doc.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom