What's new

Cool smokers

Was just wondering what characteristics to look for in a pipe that will help keep it cool, meaning less tongue bite, my filterless cob burns the beck out of my mouth. I am sure that I am a fast smoker, that's why I'm looking for a pipe style that might suit me better.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Don't know if there is a pipe design that will prevent tongue bite if you smoke too fast. Perhaps you should adjust your technique or switch your tobacco to types that are less likely to cause tongue bite.

I would recommend a meerschaum pipe... but getting that thing blazing hot because you smoke too fast is a baaaaaaaaad idea.

Try changing tobaccos. Smoking Virginias or Aromatics too fast will give you tongue bite without fail. Maybe try an English?

Other than that? Learn to slow down. There's nothing wrong with a relight.

I'd have to agree with the previous posts... pipe styles and different blends will only go so far in reducing/stopping tongue bite. The only sure way is to really get better technique at light small sips in a slower cadence. Enjoy the smoke and the pipe. It's not a sprint... it's not even a marathon... it's a lazy stroll down the avenue when you have no where to be and all day to get there. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, I thought this is where the cool smokers checked in :biggrin: Seriously, slow down. Changing hardware to compensate for poor technique may help with the bowl being hot to the touch, but it is not going to do anything for the bite or flavor of the tobacco. Squadron Leader is one of my favorite tobaccos, but if I smoke it fast it tastes like junk.

Lots of variables internal to the actual briar root factor into how cool a given pipe smokes, so there's really no guarantees. Basically you pay the man and you take your chances; but bearing that in mind I'd recommend thick walled briar pipes like pots, rhodesians, bent bulldogs, maybe one of the contemporary-styled pokers, etc.

But if you're a heavy puffer than nothing is going to keep your pipe cool. The best advice I can give is to slow down.

I'm in the same boat, tlag77. I know that I smoke too fast, and get bit just about every time. It's tough to slow down, but gotta force ourselves.

I agree with all that has been said, but a gourd calabash is a very forgiving style of pipe for fast puffers. They smoke extremely cool and dry. If I'm feeling extra stressed & puffy, I grab the gourd.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm in the same boat, tlag77. I know that I smoke too fast, and get bit just about every time. It's tough to slow down, but gotta force ourselves.
I am a long time cigarette smoker. Many of those years I worked retail, never had time for real breaks. I can fully smoke a ciggie in under three minutes. I really had to concentrate on slowing down with the pipe, but now it is second nature.

I agree with all that has been said, but a gourd calabash is a very forgiving style of pipe for fast puffers. They smoke extremely cool and dry. If I'm feeling extra stressed & puffy, I grab the gourd.

This is true... but finding one for a decent price is rather difficult.

I am a long time cigarette smoker. Many of those years I worked retail, never had time for real breaks. I can fully smoke a ciggie in under three minutes. I really had to concentrate on slowing down with the pipe, but now it is second nature.

Been off cigs for about 2 months, I think that's where my fast puffing come's from.

The consensus is slow down, i will really have to practice that. I really have only been smoking a pipe for a very short time. So I still have smokers mentality with puffing. Om...om.....om.....

...I really have only been smoking a pipe for a very short time...

Give it few years...at least! :mellow:

proxy.php

Not to harp on the sound advice you've already received, I'll make a suggestion instead. Have you considered a Peterson system pipe yet? They're specifically drilled with a chamber before the mouthpiece to prevent moisture and as such help with keeping the smoke cool.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A longer stemmed pipe also helps deliver a cooler smoke, like a Clark's Favorite from Savinelli or a churchwarden, but even with that if you smoke too fast, even the best tobacco will taste like crap, or at least not up to it's full potential.

+1 to concentrating on slowing down. Pipe smoking is a long, leisurely stroll. Not a sprint to the finish. Failing that, a meerschaum or a calabash will provide a cooler smoke to a point...

Top Bottom