What's new

Cleaning a Black Handle Slim

My usual routine with a vintage Gillette when I receive it is to boil it for a couple of minutes, scrubbing bubbles soak, and finally a warm soapy water soak. My question is: would boiling water ruin the black paint on the handle of my new Slim Adjustable? Or would I be okay to use it with just SB and a warm soapy wash?

I wouldn't use boiling water. I'd think that Scrubbing Bubbles and warm soapy water would be a fine way to degunk it. I shall leave degerming it for the other threads.

I'd just play it safe and use basic Dawn dish soap and a soft toothbrush in a bowl of hot water. Scrubbing bubbles is easier, but the same effect can be achieved with elbow grease.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I'd just play it safe and use basic Dawn dish soap and a soft toothbrush in a bowl of hot water. Scrubbing bubbles is easier, but the same effect can be achieved with elbow grease.
Soaking in Dawn/water also helps lubricate the mechanism as well as clean it.

As I understand it, scrubbing bubbles can hurt the black surfaces. Might be worth confirming just in case..

I have used SB on both of my Super Adjustables with no ill effects so it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the SB doesn't have bleach in it.

My usual routine with a vintage Gillette when I receive it is to boil it for a couple of minutes, scrubbing bubbles soak, and finally a warm soapy water soak. My question is: would boiling water ruin the black paint on the handle of my new Slim Adjustable? Or would I be okay to use it with just SB and a warm soapy wash?

I have never used boiling water on a razor. The hot water out of the tap in my kitchen is so hot you can't hold your hand under it for very long. With your Super Adjustable, if it has the plastic bottom plate, I would be careful in leaving it in boiling water for too long. I would think there might be a possibility of the plastic becoming distorter but maybe not. Good luck and post up a pic when you get it all cleaned up.

+1 on this. Scrubbing Bubbles is OK for black finish. Just avoid the SB with bleach in it. Standard SB is OK.

For me, no boiling water, ever, but YMMV.

As I understand it, scrubbing bubbles can hurt the black surfaces. Might be worth confirming just in case..

What worked for me, as I read about here, was to bring a pan of water to a boil, shut off the heat, add a drop or two of Dawn, drop the razor in and leave it alone for about 30 minutes. By then it will be cool enough to retreve out of the bath.

Finish up by scrubbing with a toothbrush with warm water and Dawn, then a good rinse.

the handle on these is aluminium with an enamel coating, the enamel can come off if you are too harsh,warm water with dawn and a soft toothbrush,some scrubbing bubbles used on the nickel head with a soft toothbrush, then rinse under the tap,and you are good to go.

Top Bottom