What's new

Alum bar pitting

I have a Gentleman Jon alum bar that is pitting out on one end. Had anyone else had this happen? Why is it doing that?

I've seen some guys with giant blocks of alum that look like big ice cubes, shiny, smooth and clear. Where are you guys getting these?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I use this one.....
proxy.php

Wore one out completely (took about 2.5 years or so) and am now onto my second one. It doubles as my pit stick and I've never had any issues with it not being super smooth.

I use this one.....
proxy.php

Wore one out completely (took about 2.5 years or so) and am now onto my second one. It doubles as my pit stick and I've never had any issues with it not being super smooth.
I thought there was no Alum in the Crystal stones? Or maybe they have one with and also make one without?

I have a Gentleman Jon alum bar that is pitting out on one end. Had anyone else had this happen? Why is it doing that?
Probably because you are not drying it. Alum is water soluble and this is the way it should be used, obviously. So it has to be dried after each use (I use TP). Its solubility increases with temperature, something to be aware of.

My present Alum block is pitted on one face, but it came that way.

I use one from RazoRock: Still looks as good as the day I purchased it. It came in a plastic case but I always rinse it and allow it to air dry. It's never stored in the case.

I sometimes use styptic pencils (alum). They get pitted when I rinse off blood with water. Over time, more goes down the drain than on my face.

I never had an alum block pit, and I don't do anything special to preserve it. Use it, rinse off, and dry. That's all.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
It's a rock, it has flaws & week spots sometimes. I have a few some are clear and smooth the others have inclusions and are weakened and dissolve in that spot. look for the clearest crystal you can.

Well then who do you guys suggest makes the best quality alum blocks? The way this thing is pitting it is making the edge kind of rough.

I have a Razorock in the plastic case that I dry after use. I store it in the case with the lid open. One end pitted out and actually finally split off. It's abit rough to use right now and I'm going to replace it. It's only a couple of months old so I'm thinking that I'm not getting it dry enough with my towel.

Speaking as one who has experience with alum, it's most likely pitting because it's still wet. I was a process chemist and QC at a chemical catalyst plant and alum was one of the by products we had to deal with. Even though it looks solid, there are still small pores and cracks in it. Since the alum is water soluble, these will just get bigger the more water it is exposed to. Usually that's no problem if you use it and dry it immediately, as in after your shave is over. But humidity and leaving a thin layer of water will result in pitting. In short, dry your block each time.

As far as quality alum blocks, they are all the same. There is a difference between sodium and potassium alum, as far as shaving goes, but not a tremendous one. Buying alum is like buying table salt. Your can pay more for a national brand, or buy the no name or store brand, because it's just table salt. Some distributors have it come in a plastic case, or some shape it differently and some just shrink wrap it, but they are all alum. No difference in quality, just price.

Check your ingredient labels before using "just any" alum deodorant stick for shaving (and even for deodorant).

Some do not specify the type of alum. I do not purchase those.
Some specify ammonium alum... I've seen this in both "Rock" and "roll-on" deodorant form. I do not purchase those either.

Make sure that you are getting potassium alum.
Some have indicated that when using ammonium alum for deodorant, under more extreme conditions it seems to break down, resulting in both a light ammonia smell, and a skin rash.

The chemical formula for any alum, has some form of ammonium compounds in it. It's one of the things that give it a bitter taste, and make it good for pickling. It could be the reason some people are sensitive to it. But it's an excellent idea to know what is in the products you use. Good call cb91710.

Potassium alum is the type of alum that occurs naturally. Others types need to be made. In our chemical plant's case, it was a by product, that we could sell to other plants or distributors. If it doesn't say potassium alum, or all natural, it probably came from a plant similar to ours. That doesn't make it terrible for humans, just different. You can buy alum from any store that has a spice section. That is probably the ammonium alum referred to above.

I've not seen alum in grocery stores in my area.
Supposedly, Indian grocers typically carry it in crystal form, supposedly potassium alum.

Top Bottom