What's new

Want to know all about GEMS and micromatics are they the same?

Hi again all! I am looking at GEMS and micromatics on etsy.com.
I see thiers different types..some are 1912, others 1910, 1950's...
some have an open comb, some a saftey bar, and some have a weird saftey bar..loks like bent metal where the balde would face out.
Out of those, which would give the closest shave? thier inexpensive! and want a few for my collection and use:) but only the ones that shave aggressive and close, as in straight razor close...
would the open comb ones be closer or more aggressive than the saftey bar ones? or the micromatics?

IMO the models that will give you the closest aggressive shaves are: the Gem Micromatic open comb, the Ever-Ready 1924, the open comb Damaskeene and I think the Ever-ready 1914 should belong there. Of course this is just my opinion based on my personal experiences. Everyone will have a different opinion on what they consider the most aggressive models available. If you try a variety of models available you will most likely find the ones that work for you.

If you don't want mild then IMO avoid the Gem Flying Wing, Feather Weight, Push-Button and Contour models.

I have had more luck with the 1912's. I tried the featherweight and bullet tip, and felt like I was not shaving at all, just draggng the safety bar across my face. Probably need a better angle.

I just got a Micromatic Open Comb in the mail today and can't wait to try it this weekend.

IMO the models that will give you the closest aggressive shaves are: the Gem Micromatic open comb, the Ever-Ready 1924, the open comb Damaskeene and I think the Ever-ready 1914 should belong there. Of course this is just my opinion based on my personal experiences. Everyone will have a different opinion on what they consider the most aggressive models available. If you try a variety of models available you will most likely find the ones that work for you.

If you don't want mild then IMO avoid the Gem Flying Wing, Feather Weight, Push-Button and Contour models.

Dont forget the Streamlines too.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The Gem OCMM is a quality built well designed razor and very inexpensive. Your shaves will be as close as it gets. The Gem and Streamline are two of my favorite razors.

I would add the Micromatic Clog-Pruf to your list of close shavers. Not quite as aggressive as the OCMM, but pretty close, and a very smooth shaver. As stated the Bullet Tip, a.k.a. Flying Wing, though it is technically a Micromatic, is quite a bit milder.

I get my closest and smoothest shaves from the 1912 ER. The Streamline also gives me a close shave, but it not as smooth as the ER 1912. I find the Micromatics to be somewhat milder in comparison, but I haven't shaved with them enough to really give a solid opinion on those. My one and only shave with the Flying Wing/Bullet Tip Micromatic was a very nice shave.

Ben

Top Bottom