What's new

Never been outside of the US, where should me and the girlfriend go?

Why do you US people always put cheese on everything?

Dries

I would say about half of the people I know (here in the US) have either removed cheese from their diet, or severely limited it. Also, most everyone I know is in shape.

So, tell me, why are you guys are so obsessed with waffles?

-s

I would say about half of the people I know (here in the US) have either removed cheese from their diet, or severely limited it. Also, most everyone I know is in shape.

So, tell me, why are you guys are so obsessed with waffles?

-s

Because they are DELICIOUS! :tongue_sm
That brings back good memories from my period in Brussels! What an amazing city, and people!
Did I mention they have awesome waffles there? And fries ... they love Belgian fries too! :wink2:

Last edited:
$dining.jpg

I have had the wonderful opportunity to do a great deal of traveling outside the USA.

So here are a couple of considerations.
1) Amount of time you will have.
2) Your financial position.
3) Are you willing to be adventurous?
4) Would you rather visit a lot of places in a larger area OR stay in a smaller area and know that very well.
5) Jet lag is real.
6) Don't try and do too much.
7) Do you want to have a guided tour or can you self guide?
8) Are you willing to drive? Do you want to take trains? Stay on a cruise ship?
9) Check the currency exchange and see how far the dollar goes. The major currency such as pound sterling and eruo, but also if you go to other countries. Do you have to exchange money?
10) find a web site that will give you some idea on the cost of meals in local currency and then convert to US Dollar.

Sooooooo if it were me, and it was my first trip, and I wanted to see a lot, I would seriously look at a cruise. You could do various parts of Europe and see a lot. You could find a river cruise. Advantage being you would pack and unpack once. Accommodations and most meals taken care of without extra expense. Have some resources to fall back on if needed. Then later if you chose you could make more trips to Europe and revisit places you liked, avoid those you did not. OR, feel more comfortable in making your own arrangements.

My vote is for Prague and Budapest, or just Prague with day trips out from the city.

Fairly inexpensive compared to other cities.

I recommend Prague. It is amazingly beautiful, as others mentioned completely untouched by the wars.
Terrific food and beer (beer? What's that?)
It is also cheap compared to the US and much cheaper than Spain.

Excellent seats for the synphony/opera/ballet are about $40.
Laterna Magika is outstanding.
Food on the higher end -
A 5 course dinner with wine pairings is about $100 per person (at some top notch restaurants, not the tourist traps).
Still you get terrific dinners at $20 per person.

People are friendly and the weather is mild (Barcelona is pretty hot in summer, but it is gorgeous) .
Very easy to get around with public transportation.
I've been here since August (moved from.California) and i get by with English just fine.
Prague is central (3 hours from Vienna, 1.5 from Dresden, etc).
You can also get dirt cheap flights to the rest of Europe (check wizzair),
So you can hop around for less than a day's cost of a car rental.

If you do decide on Prague, pm me for detailed tips

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Who can possibly live without wafels, speculaas, and stroopwafels?

Not I- I got hooked on them when I worked for a Dutch company. They always brought stroopwafels over. I have found a local source, and always have a pack in my desk. Today was re-stock day.

Attachments

• $stroop.jpg
    $stroop.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 48
As I live in Prague I am probably not unbiased but I have few american friends here who are saying that they love Prague a lot. And I second that it's cheaper than many other European cities.
Considering shaving issue you can buy Barbus shaving soap, and Alpa aftershaves in every drugstore you find for very low prices.

Barbus is pretty good. And you can also get DE blades everywhere (Astra and Wilkinson).
Alpa..... hm.... I bought it... then I thought it was mouthwash.... but I didn't try it that way....

Top Bottom