What's new

Never been outside of the US, where should me and the girlfriend go?

Well.... "Polish Boys" doesn't have the same "ring" to it (though I had to Google it as well!:biggrin:)

I've not had the pleasure of either, however I'll change that the very next time I have the chance!

:thumbup:Beav

For a first trip out of the US I would recommend Canada, especially Montreal and Quebec city. If you choose to cross the pond, England. Try Cornwall and especially look into self catering cottages.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
For a first trip out of the US I would recommend Canada, especially Montreal and Quebec city. If you choose to cross the pond, England. Try Cornwall and especially look into self catering cottages.
I have to agree. I have known a lot of Canadians in my life, especially those centered around Montreal. Every one of them have been great people that I wish I could spend more time around. While there is a definite English influence there, it is just enough different to be a refreshing change. Vive la Canada.

On edit: like Europeans, they are able to look beyond their bubble.

+1

Must see places in Canada:
Montreal
Banff
Victoria
Vancouver / Whistler Blackcomb
St Johns
Halifax

Mexico:
Merida (flights from Houston) - Uxmal ruins are just as impressive as Chichen Itza, but off the beaten path
Campeche (fly to Merida and drive) - same as above for ruins
Cuernavaca (fly to Mexico City - also tons of immersion courses for Spanish)
Oaxaca - land of 7 moles - enough said
Puebla - Volcanos and outstanding cousine
Isla Holbox - fly into Cancun and take a shuttle - about 10 nm off shore, and a place to die happily
Isla Mujeres, Tulum, Coba - diving, ruins, culture, and AVOID Cancun

Enjoy your travels, and be open wherever you go.
+1 on that,,me and my girlfriend went to Victoria, Canada and it is such an amazing and lovely place,,also you can take a ferry from Vancouver to Victoria,,it was one of the most amazing trips we had together.

But the van gogh museum! And the Rijksmuseum. And the canals. I've walked for days in Amsterdam just following my nose.

But the van gogh museum! And the Rijksmuseum. And the canals. I've walked for days in Amsterdam just following my nose.

True, but it's also a crowded city with many rude people.

I guess that Amsterdam is a "must see" for visitors indeed. But in the Netherlands, Maastricht is my favorite city.

Besides, Maastricht easily combines with a visit to Aachen.

I bet you are glad you did. Another good food is Polish Boys. These are native to Cleveland.

Just a hop, skip & a jump over to Cincinnati - where you can get killer Chili -

$CincinnitiChili2.jpg

:ohmy: (it really is gooood..)

-s

The two of you might consider a cruise liner. My wife and I are sailing out of Harwich, England with stops in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburgh, Tallin, and Visby. It will be her first visit to Europe. Mine consisted of wheels down, aircraft serviced, wheels up, off to Kuwait, and from their a day later, on to Iraq. We are celebrating her successful cancer surgery in Jan 2013. I'm hoping to buy some local shave soaps and blades in a few stops.

Your best changes of buying shaving supplies in B&M shops are in Germany, France, and Spain, I would say.

Though UK and Dutch drugstores (like Boots and Kruidvat) also have some basic stuff. Not really worth making a detour ... German drugstores are ... for instance Müller or DM.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The two of you might consider a cruise liner. My wife and I are sailing out of Harwich, England with stops in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburgh, Tallin, and Visby. It will be her first visit to Europe. Mine consisted of wheels down, aircraft serviced, wheels up, off to Kuwait, and from their a day later, on to Iraq. We are celebrating her successful cancer surgery in Jan 2013. I'm hoping to buy some local shave soaps and blades in a few stops.

Buy a Euro Palmolive shave stick while in Germany. It will cost you about a dollar. It is almost my every day soap.

I would not make detours for shaving goods ... almost everything is available online.
I wouldn't want to lose a day because of searching for a particular drugstore or shaving shop.

Italy! The food, the art, the history... What's not to love? Of course it's a diverse country so you'd have to pick a city or region, and Rome would be most folks (including my) recommendation for first timers.

Planning a surprise vacation for the lady and I, maybe this summer, but I can adjust the season depending on location.

I really want to go to Europe, but I think a full blown tour would exhaust too many resources and take a lot of time.

We really liked the history and modern mix of Barcelona, but we are very amateur when it comes to travel.

Switzerland ans Sweden have always interested me, and visiting historic sites, castles, etc...

What is a US friendly place (mostly?), if you could pick one or two countries, which and why?

I think in the end, I will settle for England, Ireland, Scotland but I feel like other places are under looked and I may fall in to the tourist traps if I do not choose wisely.

Enough talking, thanks!

How long do you want to travel and what is your budget? Do you have your passports already?

If you want to see historic sites, castles, etc...
I can say you in confidence that the UK and France are a much better bet than scandinavia. (I have been to all three)

I don't know if you speak other languages than English, But if you don't: just go for the UK. The English Heritage has hundreds of places that will be wright up your alley: www.english-heritage.org.uk
And you can easily travel around.

Enjoy,

Dries

Prague is a beautiful city. It was virtually untouched by the war and is a great place for a romantic getaway.

Ireland has a few castles that you can stay in, so if you decide on Ireland make sure to include at least one overnight stay in an old castle. That's certainly something you can't do here in the US.

In Scotland, Edinburgh has lots to do. And you can take a train to/from London. London, IMO, is a fantastic city.

All of the places you're looking at are 'can't go wrong'. She is surely going to have an awesome surprise. Make sure your face stays BBS during your trip cuz she's gonna want to kiss you often!!

Top Bottom