What's new

Never been outside of the US, where should me and the girlfriend go?

If Spain....

Andalusia is the place to be. Jerez, Seville, Grenada and Cordoba should be on everyone's must visit list.
The Mezquite and the Alhambra may have lines to get in, but they are the most exquisite buildings I have ever seen. The Moorish architecture and design is stunning.
You also get the home of tapas....

No offense to the Europeans but there are plenty of microbrews in the USA that blew away anything I had in Europe.

Touché :)

Although I never had beer from USA micro breweries (and I don't know if you ever had beers from German artisan breweries).

I'd recommend watching a few Rick Steeve's videos. For part of my honeymoon, we threw everything into large backpacks, traveled by train, and stayed at 1 star B&B's. We did get bedbugs, but otherwise staying in a nice Venetian home with glass chandeliers in each room was darn nice. I'd travel by train over renting a car on the continent.

Enjoy, and good luck!

Great question. If I could only pick two countries for my first visit, I would spend half my time in Paris and half my time in Switzerland, with a train ride connecting the two. To enjoy the city of Paris, while also enjoying the Alps.

Of course England, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc, are also great destinations. Depends on what you really want.

France was rather nice, I'd recommend it-- the Normandy countryside was to die for... although Paris was...well... a city....

Otherwise England, Ireland (although I'd avoid wearing orange, and talking about England up north... old habits die hard!), Scotland, cant really go wrong. Otherwise if you don't mind non-Europe you could try for Australia, New Zealand-- better swimming there then in the Channel! Just don't make friends with the crocs!

Crocs? No crocs in NZ, but it's best to come here Feb and March for the best weather and fewer crowds on beaches.

In Europe, head off the beaten track. Portugal?

South Africa could be interesting and cheap.

Canada? That's easy to get to. And beautiful. Quebec and the maritime provinces would be a great holiday.

In Europe, head off the beaten track. Portugal?

Good suggestion. Or maybe Stockholm? Austria (Vienna, Salzburg, the Alps) is really interesting too.

If I would want to pick some interesting cities in the Benelux, I would want to visit Brugge, Gent, Ieper, Maastricht, Aachen (ok, not really in the Benelux), and Luxembourg. You could plan a round trip, spending one or two days in each city.

I have been to London, several cities in Italy, and close to Stuttgart Germany. Although I saw very little of it I vote for Germany hands down. Just about everyone I encountered spoke English well enough for me to get around and they were US friendly. But bear in mind this was a long time ago (1977) and my ancestry is largely German so I might be a little biased.

If I would want to pick some interesting cities in the Benelux, I would want to visit Brugge, Gent, Ieper, Maastricht, Aachen (ok, not really in the Benelux), and Luxembourg. You could plan a round trip, spending one or two days in each city.

Oh yeah. Nice idea. Fly in and out of Amsterdam. . . great museums, beautiful canals, fun times.

Oh yeah. Nice idea. Fly in and out of Amsterdam. . . great museums, beautiful canals, fun times.

Amsterdam was amazing. I sadly only spent 1 day there, on my way to Glasgow. Definitely would like to go back and explore further. Although im sure Heineken is like Miller Lite to Americans it was fun having a fresh one(thats not shipped overseas) in a bar there.

As you are talking resources and time and never being outside of the US - why don't you dip your toe in the water and quickly visit Canada or Mexico depending where you are ?

+2

I would definitely check out Montreal and out west but don't knock Toronto either, we have a great foodie and live music scene. Within easy driving distance, you have Niagara Falls and Prince Edward County east of the city. I would definitely do Prince Edward County over Niagara falls, you would love it out there. if you're into camping a two hour drive north gets you to Algonquin Park which is huge.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Itally is wonderful. Lots to see as to country-side and historic stuff. Food is incredible. Very tourist friendly. You can surely get by with just English. Not as terribly expensive as England or Scandanavia.

Italy is my grail vacation country, preferably on the coast.

on edit: A plus- Marco lives in Italy.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Been to Ireland, Scotland and England and they were all great. All are USA friendly. Lots of old buildings/history, beautiful scenery and the people are friendly. I would say the people in Ireland were the friendliest.

Ireland would be a little cheaper because they use the Euro which has a better exchange rate than the pound. I was in London last Sept and it is very expensive. Tack on the poor exchange rate and it makes it even worse( 1 BPS= 1.67 dollars). I had a great time though. A lot of neat historical stuff to see. In my opinion its one of the top 3 cities in the world.

You might want to consider Canada too. I've heard Montreal is cool. Its like going to Europe but a lot shorter flight(depending on where you are in US). BC and Alberta are beautiful. Vancouver is a great city to visit and Banff is great too(although maybe better if your into skiing).

Montreal is a great city, spent three weeks there on busines at the end of Feb2002. I LOVE poutine.

D

dwLost

Neighbors sister lives in Greece. While visiting here her husband says everyone speaks English and is American friendly. He also said just fly there and find a hotel, their never fully booked. Been fantisying about the place ever since. Romantic, blue water and day trips to Italy. Just a thought. PS, my kid works at Miller, largest micro brewery in the US... and every month free beer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion

Staff member
Touché :)

Although I never had beer from USA micro breweries (and I don't know if you ever had beers from German artisan breweries).

I've had both, and liked both. I too always thought American beer was rubbish, but when I went to America I realised they just keep all the good stuff for themselves, and export the junk. Like we do.

Who wants a Fosters? (suckers....)

Top Bottom