What's new

Never been outside of the US, where should me and the girlfriend go?

New Zealand is incredibly beautiful - words really don't do it justice, though remember they are in the southern H so seasons are flipped.

-s

As your your first trip to Europe, I would suggest the British Isles. Beautiful, historically interesting and minimal language issues. I spent some time driving around Ireland (the Republic) a few years back and loved it. Great people, wonderful scenery and never had a bad meal; Guiness is good with any/every meal. I've only been there in the fall; would not suggest driving around in the summer when the place is wall to wall tourists. England and Wales are also worth a visit; haven't been to Scotland yet.

That said, my two favorite cities in Europe are Venice and Paris.

I went to London 2 years ago, it was wonderful. Plus they have easy access to wet shaving products, I went to the TOBS store while I was there.

good thing about Europe is you can see a lot, I went from London to the canary islands to cyprus all within a week and VERY cheap too, "local" flights out there are very cheap. Cyprus was stunning.

I am going to brag abit on Utah. Mountain forests, Red rock deserts, beaches, 5 national parks
Utah can be a bit like a foreign country, sometimes. :lol:

(I kid, I kid)

To the OP: For your first trip,I would go for England/Wales/Ireland, Australia/NZ, or else Canada.

Switzerland will be hugely expensive, I have friends that live there. Ditto Japan. I would also advise you not to try and visit too many countries. "Just because you are there" is not a good enough reason to deplete funds just to take one day to visit another country. I'd personally spend up to a week in one place, then perhaps three days plus in another.

Last edited:
The most bang for the buck is Europe and do a train tour. This way you get to relax in comfort of a sleeper and stop at various countries. Plan ahead well and do test couple travel agencies out and get a feel for what they recommended. Ask family or friends of reputable travel agencies and remember to read the do's and don't of traveling. Call your hospital to see what is covered in terms of health IFyou should get sick. I know this is a very remote possibility but better to know than not know. Leave emergency numbers for family and friends and check in via email or chat frequently. All the little things add up.
By planning well ahead of time it will make your trip more enjoyable, memorable and safe for both of you.

Last edited:
Been to Ireland, Scotland and England and they were all great. All are USA friendly. Lots of old buildings/history, beautiful scenery and the people are friendly. I would say the people in Ireland were the friendliest.

Ireland would be a little cheaper because they use the Euro which has a better exchange rate than the pound. I was in London last Sept and it is very expensive. Tack on the poor exchange rate and it makes it even worse( 1 BPS= 1.67 dollars). I had a great time though. A lot of neat historical stuff to see. In my opinion its one of the top 3 cities in the world.

You might want to consider Canada too. I've heard Montreal is cool. Its like going to Europe but a lot shorter flight(depending on where you are in US). BC and Alberta are beautiful. Vancouver is a great city to visit and Banff is great too(although maybe better if your into skiing).

We really liked the history and modern mix of Barcelona, but we are very amateur when it comes to travel.

Great choice, I'll have to admit.

Although, I'm not sure how US friendly it is. Not saying, that it isn't, but I'm just not even sure what that means.

As for myself, I like Barcelona for exactly the reason you mentioned - it's a great mix of old and new. Prices are quite OK, weather, services etc.

What does "US friendly" mean to you? Ability to speak English? I don't think you need to be afraid for language problems, especially at hotels, and in tourist oriented areas.

Last edited:
Come to Canada!
We speak your language and our dollar is worth a little less than yours, so you will get more bang for your buck!
I would recommend the west coast for the weather and scenery, east coast for the people and history, or Quebec for the history and old world feel.

If your heart is set on Europe, I would recommend Wales or Scotland (in that order) without reservation.
Both places are breathtakingly beautiful and steeped in history. Plus British beer is amazing. My wife and I went there twice and have very fond memories of out times there.

I absolutely hate "pleasure" traveling with an itinerary of any type. I go somewhere, soak in what I want, possibly meet some new people, learn about something neat that interests me, and then say "#@^& it, I'm going over there tomorrow," and so on, until I get my fill.

If you are willing to cram in maximum diversity of cultures, scenery, and experiences, in Europe if you take night trains and sleep while traveling, you can be in a different major city every single night.

Canada. The Rockies, Old Quebec city, Churchill, Manitoba...cold, isolated by Hudson's Bay and that's where the Polar Bears are.

If your heart is set on Europe, I would recommend Wales or Scotland (in that order) without reservation.
Both places are breathtakingly beautiful and steeped in history. Plus British beer is amazing. My wife and I went there twice and have very fond memories of out times there.
No offense to the Brits, but there are many places in Europe where an excellent beer is brewed.

No offense to the Brits, but there are many places in Europe where an excellent beer is brewed.

True, although I'll have to change my answer from Barcelona to something else if beer is the one that counts :)

But then again, if we're talking about wine, then...

Top Bottom